Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for opinions on my new syrup/sweetener. page

Lukey is offline Senior Member

Looking for opinions on my new syrup/sweetener.

Primal Fuel
    Hey there, i'm looking for some opinions on a syrup i bought. It's Sweet Freedom 100% natural fruit syrup. It's made from apples, grapes and carob extracts, and thats it. It's gluten and GMO free, and only 4 grams of carbs per 10g serving. What are your opinions on this as a sweetener for things?

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    My opinion...

What "things" are you sweetening exactly? And, can you learn to enjoy them without a sweetener?

These are honest questions, because I don't eat anything that needs to be sweetened so I'm unsure what you would use that product for. Sweet tastes trigger certain responses in the brain, even if it isn't sugar you're eating, and while I'm sure the issue is more complex than I'm making it sound, I think the gist is that sugary tastes stimulate the body to want more sugar, thus you might find yourself battling carb-cravings afterward...

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    it's still fructose...maybe you want to ditch it.
    A lot of people are buying Agave Nectar because it's sold in health food groceries. Agave nectar is higher in fructose (as much as 90% by volume) then High Fructose Corn Syrup (which is about 55%). Fructose is what gives table sugar its sweetness. Compare sugar to a back of dextrose (which is all glucose and not very sweet to the taste). If fruit juice is considered too high in fructose and Dried fruit is also high in fructose why wouldn't this be any different?

Now, how much are you planning to use? Some a couple times per week is likely fine. Fructose flips the switch getting your metabolism to want to put on fat.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Getting the same number of calories from raw organic hippy armpit juice as you originally did from HFCS won't magically make you lose weight.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    it's fruit juice with the water reduced out. it's still sugar.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    We decided a while back that if we wanted to use 'sugar', we'd use actual sugar. We just use far less of it than we did. Which has increased our sensitivity for sweet things.

I made caramel sauce last month as a treat for the kids (with half the sugar the recipe says) and it was still too sickly sweet for all of us. Next time, half the sauce, 1/8 the sugar.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    We decided a while back that if we wanted to use 'sugar', we'd use actual sugar. We just use far less of it than we did. Which has increased our sensitivity for sweet things.

I made caramel sauce last month as a treat for the kids (with half the sugar the recipe says) and it was still too sickly sweet for all of us. Next time, half the sauce, 1/8 the sugar.
    This is my strategy as well. The kinds of things I would want to add sugar to are generally things I don't need to be eating often, or in more than bite-sized quantities, so using regular sugar actually pushes me to eat them less (or less sweet).
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    My opinion...

What "things" are you sweetening exactly? And, can you learn to enjoy them without a sweetener?

These are honest questions, because I don't eat anything that needs to be sweetened so I'm unsure what you would use that product for. Sweet tastes trigger certain responses in the brain, even if it isn't sugar you're eating, and while I'm sure the issue is more complex than I'm making it sound, I think the gist is that sugary tastes stimulate the body to want more sugar, thus you might find yourself battling carb-cravings afterward...
    I'm planning on using it for things like home-made ice cream, cocomeal etc. i'm not worrying about over-eating, and i never get carb cravings.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    it's still fructose...maybe you want to ditch it.
    A lot of people are buying Agave Nectar because it's sold in health food groceries. Agave nectar is higher in fructose (as much as 90% by volume) then High Fructose Corn Syrup (which is about 55%). Fructose is what gives table sugar its sweetness. Compare sugar to a back of dextrose (which is all glucose and not very sweet to the taste). If fruit juice is considered too high in fructose and Dried fruit is also high in fructose why wouldn't this be any different?

Now, how much are you planning to use? Some a couple times per week is likely fine. Fructose flips the switch getting your metabolism to want to put on fat.
    it's only 4g of carbs a serving, it's not entirely fructose and having 4g of fructose is hardly bad anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Getting the same number of calories from raw organic hippy armpit juice as you originally did from HFCS won't magically make you lose weight.
    first of all i'm not trying to lose weight, and secondly i never ate HFCS...

I was really looking for opinions on the health side of things, not weight loss. What are peoples opinion on using this? If i only have a serving i won't be having much sugar or fructose.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    "only 4g of carbs per 10g serving"

It's 40% sugar... lol.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast