Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for opinions on my new syrup/sweetener. page 3

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    It only lists the ingredients as apple extract, grape extract and carob extract, nothing else.
    That tells us nothing useful about the nutritient contempt of the food. Is it pure fructose? If it is, I'd advise against consuming it for it has no redeemable value except that 40% concentration of liquid carbs.

On the other hand, if it has some redeemable nutrient quality, then ot is at least a better choice that straight sugar or even worse, agave nectar. This is why people often choose to consume honey over many other sweetener options, because it can be said to have SOME health benefit, even if this is an arguably minor effect.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I guess it depends how often you use it. If its only once in a while and you stick to one serving size I don't really see that it's a big deal. I don't really care for sweet things so i just try to avoid the issue altogether. I do use Splenda and Stevia in my coffee sometimes, but that's about it. Less the occasional cheat...
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    sugar=poison
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I was really looking for opinions on the health side of things, not weight loss. .
    When your ORIGINAL post just asks for "your opinion" without specifying what type of opinion, don't act so surprised if you get all types of opinions.

But to answer your question:
    1. You won't be using enough to get any significant nutrition out of it.
    2. If you can handle 4 g of sugar well hell just cut down on sugar somewhere else and call it a day. You don't need to ask permission from strangers on a website.
    3. Sounds like you've made up your mind anyway, so it's a moot point.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    sugar=poison
    Now THAT is fair and balanced.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    When your ORIGINAL post just asks for "your opinion" without specifying what type of opinion, don't act so surprised if you get all types of opinions.

But to answer your question:
    1. You won't be using enough to get any significant nutrition out of it.
    2. If you can handle 4 g of sugar well hell just cut down on sugar somewhere else and call it a day. You don't need to ask permission from strangers on a website.
    3. Sounds like you've made up your mind anyway, so it's a moot point.
    Yes, i agree, which is why i said i should have specified. But i wasn't asking strangers if i could consume 4g of sugar, i was asking their opinion on the nutrition of the syrup. And i haven't made up my mind, i am strongly considering not eating it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    That tells us nothing useful about the nutritient contempt of the food. Is it pure fructose? If it is, I'd advise against consuming it for it has no redeemable value except that 40% concentration of liquid carbs.

On the other hand, if it has some redeemable nutrient quality, then ot is at least a better choice that straight sugar or even worse, agave nectar. This is why people often choose to consume honey over many other sweetener options, because it can be said to have SOME health benefit, even if this is an arguably minor effect.
    Yea i agree, Honey is probably better.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Hey there, i'm looking for some opinions on a syrup i bought. It's Sweet Freedom 100% natural fruit syrup. It's made from apples, grapes and carob extracts, and thats it. It's gluten and GMO free, and only 4 grams of carbs per 10g serving. What are your opinions on this as a sweetener for things?
    16 calories per serving? You would have to be orthorexic to stress over that. Sugar is fine in moderation. When it's packed into everything you eat and drink like muesli bars and soda on top of a calorie surplus, then it becomes a problem

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    sure honey is more natural, but sugar is sugar. its also high in fructose. glucose and fructose are both DEADLY!
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    16 calories per serving? You would have to be orthorexic to stress over that. Sugar is fine in moderation. When it's packed into everything you eat and drink like muesli bars and soda on top of a calorie surplus, then it becomes a problem
    Yea thats what i thought but a lot of other people on this thread seem to think differently.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast