Thread: Sprouts! page

Nady is offline Senior Member

Sprouts!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do you sprout seeds? Lately, I've been going through a batch faster than I can grow them! Thinking about getting something more 'user friendly' than my current quart mason jar. Wondering what others use to sprout seeds~ and what are your favorite seeds for sprouting? Right now, I have a mix of broccoli, red clover and radish. For some reason, alfalfa seems slower to sprout and I have a bunch of non-sprouts left over when the rest in the mix are ready for munching. Alfalfa seems to be in all premixed 'salad' blends so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    I do, I soak and sprout beans and chickpeas regularly. I just put them on a sieve for a couple of days and wash them 2-3 times a day, depending on the temperature.

Hi Darz~ glad to know I'm not the only one who 'sprouts'. I wonder why it's not more popular~ and they're so good too~

Moll is offline Member
    I like Amaranth - they taste almost nutty when sprouted. They're the tiniest little things and cheaper than alfalfa (around here) and they sprout pretty quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by Moll View Post
    I like Amaranth - they taste almost nutty when sprouted. They're the tiniest little things and cheaper than alfalfa (around here) and they sprout pretty quickly!
    Interesting~ had to google! Found one seed seller that said they didn't carry Amaranth because they found the sprouts 'distasteful'

I also found this~
    from Organic Amaranth Sprouting Seed | Amaranth Grain

Amaranth seeds were a staple food source for the Aztecs & Incas and are used as a cereal grain today in South America & Africa . Amaranth seeds and sprouts are an excellent source of protein, fiber and essential amino acids. When toasted, Amaranth seeds pop like popcorn. Amaranth grain can be ground into flour and used in breads, noodles, and generally as a flour substitute. Of course when sprouted, amaranth sprouts are a delicious addition to salads and sandwiches.
    Amaranth seeds can also be cooked as a grain and replace grains like rice in your favorite dishes. Amaranth is also popular as a breakfast porridge.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Hi Darz~ glad to know I'm not the only one who 'sprouts'. I wonder why it's not more popular~ and they're so good too~
    People seem to find sprouting too time consuming when actually you barely do anything, the seeds do the job themselves, you do yours in a trice by giving them a quick wash and bob's your uncle.

cadia is offline Junior Member
    Does anyone else grow sunflower greens?
    They are easy and so good!
    Several youtubes available.