Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: If Odds & Ends was a country page 7

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Sure they would. Monopoly control is the animal drive of any good capitalist. And without state monopoly on violence, the rich would form their own security apparti.
    So your worst case scenario, is today's scenario?

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DamienMaddox View Post
    You can choose another employer or another landlord. You can even chose neither. You're not born into either choice. In the case of government, you're stuck with it whether you like it or not.
    So; "screw you, I've got mine" and "might makes right" are the libertarian ideal. If your boss wants to spy into your personal life and demand that you live according to his personal standards, that's your and his business; not that of the government. And if your only choice is to work for him or starve, too bad.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    You can choose another employer or another landlord. You can even chose neither. You're not born into either choice. In the case of government, you're stuck with it whether you like it or not.
    In what world? It's a silly thing to imagine we're all perfectly equal agents free to choose as we see fit. If that were the case, nobody would piss in a cup or get rid of their cat. Yet people do because of the limited choices the real world presents them.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Yep. If my employer makes me piss in a cup or my landlord makes me get rid of my cat, I'm still "free".
    Dude, i think finding a new job or new apartment is far easier than finding a new country to be semi-free in. The free market will be enticing you to pay rent for a dwelling that allows your cat. The landlord that doesn't allow cats is going to have a different group of people to sell to, if the market demands homes that accommodate felines and they wont compromise, they won't be in business without the government created safety net of dirt cheap loans and grants and welfare that encourages bare-minimum slum-lording. In truly free markets that do not have the privilege of protectionism, it's in the best interest of capitalists to please their clientele. Who will the "evil" capitalists turn to for help when no one wants what they are selling?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    So; "screw you, I've got mine" and "might makes right" are the libertarian ideal. If your boss wants to spy into your personal life and demand that you live according to his personal standards, that's your and his business; not that of the government. And if your only choice is to work for him or starve, too bad.
    LOL. You haven't heard of the patriot act or ndaa, have you? Why is it ok for the government to spy on you and demand that you live up to its standards of no drug use, no gay marriage, no buying alcohol until you're 21, and a zillion other arbitrary laws based on "ethics"?

Once again: you can choose an employer that's not a scum bag; you don't get to choose a better government. They're all the same at the end of the day.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    I don't even know how you can come up with those kinds of conclusions from what I said.

You are not forced to work at a specific place. Nobody is.

Not every boss is going to have the same demands of their employees. It's up to you to find the boss that you don't have a problem with. I don't like bosses either, that's why I don't have one.

I would never find myself in a "work for him or starve" scenario because I can think of a dozen things at any moment that I can do, that will earn enough income to put food on my plate.

By the way, if someone else is trying to set your standards for you, maybe you should take that as a hint that you didn't have any in the first place.

In what world? It's a silly thing to imagine we're all perfectly equal agents free to choose as we see fit. If that were the case, nobody would piss in a cup or get rid of their cat. Yet people do because of the limited choices the real world presents them.
    How did those people find themselves in that predicament in the first place? If they weren't allowed to have cats, why did they get them?

Judging from all the cat pictures on the internet, it doesn't seem very difficult to find apartments/housing that allow cats.

90% percent of the land in the US is undeveloped and a large percentage is owned by the federal government. Screw scumbag landlords that hate kitty cats, go homestead a nice kitty haven.

it doesn't seem very difficult to find apartments/housing that allow cats.
    Ah, the suburbs.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    go homestead a nice kitty haven.
    So I can homestead but you can't emigrate?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast