Thread: exercises with ACL injury/during rehab page

tai haku is offline Junior Member

exercises with ACL injury/during rehab

So for the past 3 years I've eaten (to a reasonably strict extent primally) but done relatively little exercise beyond maybe 2 or 3 games of sport a week. I'd (honestly(!!)) just decided to take a bit more control of this aspect of my life and start regular exercise to try and really improve myself when.....I blew out my knee playing one of the aforementioned sports.

I have a ruptured ACL which is basically preventing me doing any kind of driving off or squatting actions seriously (I can walk around OK and jog a bit if necessary but that's about it). I'm due to have surgery on it later in the year but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good exercise options in the meantime/whilst I'm recovering?

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    Check with a physical therapist. I was doing leg extensions and curls to strengthen my muscles before my ACL repair, along with lots of walking. That was almost 20 years ago though, they might have some more updated information for you.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    I totally agree. Ask your Doc for the name of the physical therapist you will be seeing after surgery and talk to them now.

newtonw is offline Junior Member

gallbladder disease

No one wants to get sidelined with an ACL injury. Ankle sprains and injuries to the knee, particularly ACL injuries (anterior cruciate ligament) are common in young athletes. Is there anything you can do to prevent yourself from missing valuable playing time? Absolutely!

Learn how to move with good alignment so you protect your knees. Develop body awareness, strength, and balance to support your knees and ankles. Always jump, land, stop, and move with your knees directly over your feet. Do NOT let your knees collapse inward. Develop strength in your hips and thighs. Warm up and stretch before games and practice. Perform a variety of drills until the movement patterns are second nature and you donít have to think about it. Say to yourself:

Chest high and over knees
    Bend from the hips and knees
    Knees over toes
    Toes straight forward
    Land like a feather
    Successful injury prevention programs may differ in specific exercises and drills but they share a common focus: improving flexibility, strength (particularly of the core, hips, and legs), balance, agility, and your ability to jump and land safely.

Practice these guidelines, exercises, and drills on your own and with your team. Donít wait until the season starts. Get in shape to play; donít play to get in shape!
    Always warm up before playing. Get blood circulating to your muscles and joint before you start your game or practice.
    Stretch. Being flexible enough to move freely can help you maintain ideal form. Include stretches for your thighs, calves, and hips, and pay particular attention to any areas that are especially tight.

jtrain_36 is offline Member
    I tore mine a few years ago (2, I think. Seems like forever though) and what really seemed to help me was workouts in the pool. Not swimming per se, because often the kicking motions would hurt my knee, however doing some jogging and jumping and other forms of calisthenics were a great way to keep being active without putting a full load on the injured knee.

Mt Goat is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I tore my ACL & meniscus and I totally agree w/ jtrain. Working hard in physical therapy, both inside and outside the pool, was really helpful. Also religiously doing the home exercises given to me by my therapist. I had ACL reconstruction surgery in early October and was back to telemark skiing the first week of February!