Thread: Why exactly is baking with nut flours or using protein powdera bad idea? page

Why exactly is baking with nut flours or using protein powdera bad idea?

Primal Fuel
    Whey protein comes from milk. we cook and bake with milk with no problems. With nuts though im not sure but i see people around saying cooking with nuts isnt good.

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    The major reason is that nuts, especially almonds which are a favorite for baking, have a fairly high level of Omega 6. In small quantities such as a handful of raw almonds, the amount of omega 6 is not bad and possibly even beneficial. When you pulvizerize those almonds and then bake them at 350 degrees or more, you are oxidizing those omega 6 and making them very, very bad for you. The other reason is that you are then making a baked good that is incredibly high in calories. If you're only going to eat a sliver of whatever you are eating, that's great but also unlikely.

Someone else will come along and explain this MUCH better than I can.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Nuts = better eaten raw because you don't want to oxidize all of that omega-6 which is a bad idea. Nut flours would do just that if used for baking.

Also, my ideas about eating primal stem to the natural, whole foods concept. Yes the flours and the powders are TECHNICALLY ok, but if you're just using them as a crutch to replace CW comfort foods you can no longer eat, then I think you are missing the point.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    I've always been curious about roasted nuts. Do the temps get hot enough during roasting to cause a problem? Loves my roasted macadamias with salt.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    I've always been curious about roasted nuts. Do the temps get hot enough during roasting to cause a problem? Loves my roasted macadamias with salt.
    Macadamias, being the least O6 heavy of the nuts is probably the least likely to cause problems. Get into the higher O6 nuts like walnuts, almonds, and the like and you're getting into the troublesome areas. Maybe the risk isn't overly high, but it's at the point that I'd try to avoid it.