Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Pole Dancing!!! page 5

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I love your practical and totally doable ideas Zoebird!

Jadeathena, any great online pole resources or books to recommend? (Or anyone else for that matter?) I love to visually review things I'm learning (pictures, reading over descriptions, etc.) and would love to check out some good pole stuff. I've seen StudioVeena but not many others, and would love to find high quality resources! (It might be helpful for other folks peeking in here who don't have pole classes as readily available.)

Also, I think it's so awesome you're inverting JA! How long did it take you to start that? (Just interested--I know we all develop at our own pace so what has worked for you may not be the same for others, but 8 months doesn't seem *that* long of a time period to start with that wild stuff. That is freakin' sweet!) So, the bean bags are to catch you in case you slip? Crazy stuff!! Oh, and what kind of pole do you have? I've read lil' mynx is a great starter pole. (Not that I'll be buying any time soon, but gotta start researching now if this is to become a serious passion...)

Can't wait till my next class on Tuesday!!!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm all about accessibility when it comes to yoga. Hot yoga isn't magical, really. It's pretty easy to get the supplies you need to create more heat.

YAY--my teacher just shared this resource with me. It seems awesome!

Pole Dance Dictionary
    My Before/After Pics

Jadeathena, is this your new move? Sweet! Pole Dance Dictionary
    My Before/After Pics

JadeAthena is offline Junior Member
    The Pole Dance Dictionary is the best free resource. You can access some things for free on Studio Veena. I haven't paid for the membership because I pay for my membership at the studio and that keeps me busy enough. That's the move. Mine doesn't look that graceful, of course nothing does on the first try.

Inverting is more about upper body and core strength than anything else. Because of Crossfit I was strong enough to be moved to intermediate quicker than some. At my studio there are three levels: beginner, intermediate and advanced. When you go to intermediate it means your ready to invert. My understanding of advanced is that you can string a bunch of inverted intermediate moves together and look good doing it. The standard is 6-8 months in each level.

I bought my first pole from a friend who was upgrading hers, and I have no idea what it was. Currently I'm using x-pole x-pert pole, chrome 45mm width. They cost about $300 plus shipping. I bought mine from my studio which saved me the shipping cost. It can be static or spinning. It's the same one that my friends use and they all competed in the Regional Midwest Pole Competition, so I think it's one of the best you can get for home use.

Very cool JadeAthena! Thanks for the info! Just had my 2nd class tonight--yay! I can feel myself getting stronger, and I can tell that I will have more bruising this week too. (All part of my learning!)

How long after starting did you get your first pole? Just wondering...
    My Before/After Pics

the-wren is offline Junior Member
    My biggest gripe about exercising is that I tend to get a little bored with it. Pole dancing looks like so much fun though, I'd love to give it a try. Coupled with yoga I'm sure it's an amazing work out. Thanks for posting those videos too, they were actually kind of an inspiration for me to get off my butt and start getting serious about exercise again.

JadeAthena is offline Junior Member
    I think it would be impossible to get bored with pole. It's so much fun that you forget that you are basically doing pullups over and over again.

I probably bought my first pole after three months. I don't use it as much as I should, I'm too busy with classes, yoga and Crossfit. But it's nice to have and is great entertainment at parties!

Thanks Jadeathena! We'll see...I need to start saving up!
    My Before/After Pics

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast