Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pole Dancing!!! page 4

JadeAthena is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    I wouldn't recommend pole fitness to anyone who isn't also planning to incorporate yoga or stretching or flexibility training. You end up in some crazy twists. For a while I was dealing with wrist and lower back pain. I figured out that it goes away with one yoga class for every pole class and twenty minutes of poses prior to class focusing on the back, shoulders and wrists. Hip and hamstring flexibility is important to make things look pretty but they aren't as important for safety.

I learned the genie pose yesterday and now my legs ache. But in a fun way!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yeah, the practice is meant to support you, not cause you to freak out.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Super cool to know they go so well together JadeAthena! Yoga is my first love (in terms of movement/fitness/etc) so that is awesome.

And ZB, thoughts about my yoga practice (or recent lack thereof) have not been causing me to freak out. It's just one of those interesting experiences where something has been my home base, my touchstone, the thing I just *do* that centers me (for the past 10 years). Yet I have, for almost a year, chosen not to do that thing. (Perhaps I didn't really want to be totally centered--didn't want to go into those places?) Anyway, I'm excited my body is calling me back to it and that I am feeling more ready to get back there (emotionally. I have always held emotional stuff in physical places as most do--hips, etc.) I'm grateful the practice is just *there* for me as I need it/want it/crave it, and grateful I am craving it again! (Practiced tonight...oh it's so good.)

Anyway--super excited about this all! And Kelmar, I've heard there are some awesome online resources that can perhaps get you started in some ways, even without owning a pole or going to a class, as well as resources that can help you *find* the closest pole classes near you. I'll keep you posted and share any that I learn of!!!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

I think that sometimes a break does well for people, honestly. It's ok to do that, because it allows you to explore other things with mindfulness and clarity, and then return to yoga that way too -- if you want.

I go in phases where my practice is not asana at all -- it's more contemplative practice and also meditation practice. Sometimes it's just "don't eat cookies" practice. LOL

Still, end of the day, it is all about what works for you.

I taught my first 75 minute class in 3 years today. It went great. But I was like "why isn't this 45 minutes?" It wsa our first sat AM class in the studio, and I'm psyched to offer it. We had 4 people! I'm teaching my first workshop here in three more weeks, so I'm psyched about that, too. It's already half-full! Amazing. For me, this process is always shifting, and it has it's own . . . elements.

Of course, I can't bear to walk away from it. I'll start poking people to stand properly on the street if I do. LOL I'm not fit to do much else it seems. LOL

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I think that sometimes a break does well for people, honestly. It's ok to do that, because it allows you to explore other things with mindfulness and clarity, and then return to yoga that way too -- if you want.

I go in phases where my practice is not asana at all -- it's more contemplative practice and also meditation practice. Sometimes it's just "don't eat cookies" practice. LOL

Still, end of the day, it is all about what works for you.
    LOVE all of this.

I taught my first 75 minute class in 3 years today. It went great. But I was like "why isn't this 45 minutes?" It wsa our first sat AM class in the studio, and I'm psyched to offer it. We had 4 people! I'm teaching my first workshop here in three more weeks, so I'm psyched about that, too. It's already half-full! Amazing. For me, this process is always shifting, and it has it's own . . . elements.

Of course, I can't bear to walk away from it. I'll start poking people to stand properly on the street if I do. LOL I'm not fit to do much else it seems. LOL
    Awesome about your class and upcoming workshops! Hahahaha--one of my longest home practices is one you designed and shared here (of course--lol). It's totally neat-o to observe how life shifts.

And after playing around online for a bit, I am now pining to buy a pole for practice/play in my apt. I should get to a playground with my son and see what I can find for free practice...
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

nearly everyone I know who does pole for several months ends up buying a pole for at home. it's funny.

JadeAthena is offline Junior Member
    My exercise room has turned into my pole room. I started with a stationary pole, sold that to a friend and now I upgraded to a $350 spin/stationary pole. I even bought big bean bags for when I invert. My parents gave me some weird looks when they saw the room. It's addictive. I still can't justify the time and money I put into the hobby except for ITS SO MUCH FUN!!! If I could install a hot yoga room, I would have that too.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeAthena View Post
    My parents gave me some weird looks when they saw the room.
    I'm sure they did.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    This thread should live forever....

All you need to do a hot-yoga room is a couple of space heaters, a thermometer, and a humidifier. You could probably use your pole room for it, just move your bean bags and stuff to one side, have space for a mat. Put the heaters and humidifier on for about 20 minutes before you want to practice, and it should get it up to 85 plus.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast