Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pole Dancing!!! page 3

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Really? Like all 18 of your posts are pushing your boot camp thing. And take a refresher course in English...
    Turns out this boot camp is just down the road from me, it is a shame that an apparently credible company employ someone from another country to spam forums for backlinks. Perhaps they don't know, looks like his posts have all been deleted now

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Last night was my first beginner pole dance class, and tonight was my pole fit class (followed by belly dancing--included in the 'package' so I had to stay!) I feel beat up but it was awesome! I LOVED the pole dance class!!! LOVED!!! (I bet the warnings here helped me go in with little expectations and a very open mind--thank you all!) We focused mostly on basic spins and holds and the pole sit and pole stand. It was awesome and I just really loved it. The pole fit class was more of a primal workoutish thing (reps of different bodyweight stuff, some involving the pole, etc.). The teacher mentioned that the pole fit helps you with building the strength for the tricks in the pole dance classes.

So, I'm a believer, and I'm excited. And OUCH my frickin' hands were aching! And I can already feel places where I will probably have bruises. I asked the (cross-fitter turned pole dancer) girl next to me if her hands hurt and she was like, "well, I rock climb, so no." (She is awesome and totally rad--most of the people in my class are!) Anyway, it was great--highly recommended. I cannot wait to learn more!!! I'll keep you all posted.

Oh, and as someone who has taken a serious break from her primal workouts and yoga for like.......11 months (hey, I got separated and have been VERY 'gentle' with myself...that's my excuse!) I feel like I've been beaten up, which is probably a great thing.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    it builds a lot of hand strength, so that's why your hands hurt. massage them!

Thank you Zoebird! I have been almost instinctually--I will continue to!!!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

I also think some very therapeutic yoga will be in order, esp. over the next few days/weeks.
    My Before/After Pics

It's always a good addition to your routines. Once a week should really be fine (twice a week great) for about 30-45 minutes. You don't need much. I have a lot of gals at my studio who do pole sport!

Yes! I have to get back into it! Sheesh! My hiatus from yoga has been almost a year (I've done it here and there--sparingly.) It's like I just *couldn't* do it (after separating from my husband.) The practice is just too intimate in some ways? I've done it here and there, but just have not been committed like I was. I am glad it is always *there* for me for when I am ready to get back to it...
    My Before/After Pics

Yeah, it is intimate. It goes to deep places, and when you are going through tough times, it's not often a place where people find the comfort that they need . . .it only says "hey! hold this pose AND this emotion!" Right?

I would say that finding a 10 minute routine of postures that will counteract your soreness would be decent and probably not go deep enough to cause those particular discomforts.

My favorite 10 minutes is cat stretches, downward dog, and lunge.

Thanks zoebird. I have some oldies and goodies that I love, and even some 'quickies' (sequences). Parts of me feel (or *know*) I *should* go into those places--that that is all part of my healing. I've just been so darn resistant to it. I've been trying to flow (hahaha) through life in general at the moment, and allowing myself to avoid those things I am resistant to and embrace the things I am less resistant to has been part of it. The positive things have been that I have not been embracing things like alcohol etc as much for support (which is absolutely an escape for *me*) and have been getting into newer things (like this pole dancing stuff, for example.) I gotta get back there, and now my body is actually begging me for my yoga, so I may go there this morning. I might just keep my practice super personal for now (at home), and as you said, maybe quicker. I have an old fave quickie sequence that covers a ton that I used to do on days I couldn't fully practice or get to a class. I certainly have lots to embrace. Anyway, thank you for your ideas and suggestions. I appreciate them. And just talking here is validating. A ten minute practice a few times a week is still a practice. It does not need to be all or nothing. I can think so often in absolutes for whatever reason, although it is such a silly thing to do. Cultivating my practice however that looks for me (even if it's just 10 minutes etc) is awesome. I'm glad we are talking about this!

(And seriously--I want to go in there and heal. I want to and plan to. It *is* best for me. While in my pole fit class I was doing various bodyweight things and reps etc. and thinking "this is really good...but I kinda wish I was in an intense vinyasa class instead." We'll see we'll see...)
    My Before/After Pics

Kelmar is offline Senior Member
    How cool! I wish there was a class like this close to where I live, mayhap I should do some checking around...sounds like mad fun, really glad that you loved it! Keep us updated on your progress
    I treat my body like a temple.....to nourish the Goddess who lives inside

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast