Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: natural stool softeners? slight nastiness. page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

natural stool softeners? slight nastiness.

I've been taking Vicodin all week after my hernia surgery that plugged me up something fierce. Ate a lot of coconut flour last night that I'm convinced made me go but I had to sit and strain, Def not good after the surgery, to get my waste out. It was scary and painful so I'm looking for some sort of primal softener. If there isn't one I guess I'll have to go with some soft gels from the store with all the chemical dyes in them or milk of magnesia.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Butter and coconut oil always do it for me.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget the old stand by: prunes or prune juice. They are effective for a lot of people.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    magnesium. (which is in milk of magnesium)

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Don't forget the old stand by: prunes or prune juice. They are effective for a lot of people.
    Prunes have never worked for me. They just bloat me up and cause a worsening of constipation.

And in the past coconut oil or dairy has helped me to go but always with bulky stools that I still have to strain to release.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium. I use this:

Source Naturals :: Magnesium Serene™

From what I've read you want one that has an "ate" at the end of the compound with the magnesium - so in this case magnesium citrate. There are other brands out there too. I take it each night and if I take too much I can tell... A few times when things get a little irregular I purposefully take a full dose and things move along and are not as painful as they could be (speaking from anal fissure experience here...).

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I'm also taking Vicodin for a herniated disc...natural calm has helped me tremendously. Good luck with your recovery!
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I used Hydro-C from the gut sense website if I get stopped up. It's the only thing that has ever worked for me. It's a very gentle form of Vitamin C that doesn't cause stomach irritation, but in a pinch, you could try 1-2 grams of Vitamin C.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    I've been taking Vicodin all week after my hernia surgery that plugged me up something fierce. Ate a lot of coconut flour last night that I'm convinced made me go but I had to sit and strain, Def not good after the surgery, to get my waste out. It was scary and painful so I'm looking for some sort of primal softener. If there isn't one I guess I'll have to go with some soft gels from the store with all the chemical dyes in them or milk of magnesia.
    If you are looking for actual stool softeners then I recommend slippery elm or marshmallow root.

Milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) is not a true stool softener. It works by burning the intestinal wall causing fluid to enter the intestines and stimulating peristalsis.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A little cup or two of some good quality yerba mate always helps when I'm feeling a bit "plugged up."

I don't use it as a crutch or anything, but every now and then, it helps.

Also, fat, fat, fat!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast