Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: natural stool softeners? slight nastiness. page 2

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    A little cup or two of some good quality yerba mate always helps when I'm feeling a bit "plugged up."

I don't use it as a crutch or anything, but every now and then, it helps.

Also, fat, fat, fat!
    Will this or vitamin c make the stools soft so little effort is required to get it out. That's really what I'm looking for.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Peanuts works well for me. But you have a eat a lot -- like a whole jar in two days.
    Or, flax seeds. Eat a teaspoon of those three times a day for a couple days, then stop for a day, then start up again. It may take a day or two to work. Sometimes the flax results in smaller softer stuff more often, like several times a day with a little bit of urgency (not much). Not diarrhea or lose semi-diarrhea, feels healthier than that (sorry, gross).

No, they aren't exactly primal, but it's probably more important for you to be regular than to be strictly primal.

Lots of fat will help lubricate things.
    Also, I would recommend cutting the vegetables and dairy for a while until you're back on track. Doesn't fiber strain the system? And cheese blocks me up too.
    Last edited by oxide; 09-23-2012 at 02:54 PM.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Cal. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    Will this or vitamin c make the stools soft so little effort is required to get it out. That's really what I'm looking for.
    Here's a link to information on Hydro-C. It's quite lengthy, but I think you'll find it interesting.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    Prunes have never worked for me. They just bloat me up and cause a worsening of constipation.
    Oh yes, I'm the same way. If I eat prunes or drink prune juice I get backed up for like a week. Then I would go online and look for ideas to get things moving again and the advice was always "eat prunes to relieve constipation." WTF?

I always just figured I was a freak of nature. Glad to know I'm not alone (about the prunes, not being a freak or something).

I've found that coffee stimulates everything "back there" to evacuate. I do a couple cups of strong super dark roast every morning. I like the taste of it, but I guess other things about me don't.

Cal. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    I've found that coffee stimulates everything "back there" to evacuate. I do a couple cups of strong super dark roast every morning. I like the taste of it, but I guess other things about me don't.
    Coffee can sure give you the urge... but in the long term (coffee being a diuretic) more than one a day is highly likely to dry the poop out even more and make it real difficult to pass.

Just my two cents. YMMV

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal. View Post
    Coffee can sure give you the urge... but in the long term (coffee being a diuretic) more than one a day is highly likely to dry the poop out even more and make it real difficult to pass.

Just my two cents. YMMV
    Maybe true - but not for me. I am a freak of nature.

I do, by the way, drink lots of fluids every day, regardless of coffee or prunes. So I don't know why one works for me but the other one is a subversive heretic defying all nutritional logic.

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Cream works for me :-) A tablespoon or two in a cup of morning coffee has me going within the hour :-)

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    senna tea is an herbal laxative that works without chemicals, reliably, overnight.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    I second the magnesium

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    senna tea is an herbal laxative that works without chemicals, reliably, overnight.
    Senna is not a stool softener though. It is very strong stimulant laxative, which can cause severe cramping in the short term and a laxative dependence if used regularly for more than a few weeks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast