Thread: Questions on Slow Cardio page

Chorlton is offline Senior Member

Question Questions on Slow Cardio

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I did my first slow cardio this morning and have a couple of questions.

First let me describe what I did; I went for my normal dog walk but upped the pace by about 3x. I measured my heart rate every 10mins. It took me nearly 40mins to get up above 100bpm (my max rate is 180, i'm 41) even though I did 4 or 5 sets of 10 squats in that time as well to try and get things going. My total walk time was 80mins.

After 40mins or so it stabilised around 120bpm provided I went up all the hills on my walk and kept a pretty fast pace. I'm nearly blind, so jogging is out of the question. (even walking at this pace is a bit dicey on an overcast day but I know the route well..)

Questions
    • In terms of hours of cardio per week, do I only count the minutes in the target heart rate zone?
    • Should I do a ton more squats at the start to get into that target range of 100-135 earlier, or is the "run up" to that level considered part of the overall exercise?

Overall it was very enjoyable, though my dog is getting on a bit and I'm not sure she really wants to walk for that long

peril is offline Senior Member
    You got out for 80min and enjoyed it. That's all that really matters
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    You got out for 80min and enjoyed it. That's all that really matters
    I second that, its just a matter of getting out there and doing it. don't obsess over your heart rate
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Thanks guys,

My point really is that Im already getting out and walking an hour a day with my dog but I do want to follow the PB recommendations to do several hours of low-level cardio per week. It recommends 55%-75% max heart rate so I'd like to at least be somewhere in that range to get the benefits.

Im not sedentary, so the "any exercise is good" thing is less important for me than making what I already do fit better with PB goals if you see what I mean?

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Any and all walking is fantastic and I wouldn't fret about the target HR. A scout's walk is a good pace and one that you are still able to comfortably talk. I've been jumping rope to elevate my HR --- it's effective and safe and easy to do. If you need to purchase a rope, make sure it's a weighted one, as it's easier to use.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Regarding getting into the chosen zone quicker, I wouldn't. Warming up properly is the best way to ensure a steady heart rate when you get into the aerobic zone you want to be working in, otherwise you end up having trouble controlling your HR, it tends to spike a lot more.

I used to do a 5-8 min warmup before running for an hour. HR used to be all over the place for the first 20 mins or so of the actual run. When I spent 15 mins slowly building to the target zone, my HR was (and is) a lot more stable. There is also a train of thought that even if you don't stretch, longer warmups and cool downs are good for improving range of movement and elasticity in your muscles and joints. It seemed to work for me too.

If you do find it hard to move safely with your eyesight, have you thought about a static bike at home, with a HR monitor with some zone alarms set for lower and higher target HR? Being outside is a great thing, but if we are looking for aerobic adaptation via HR training, then use whatever suits.

that said, sounds like you are doing great, but the bike could be an idea for steady state HR training and also good for some high intensity sprint work. I bought a used gym quality spin bike on ebay for 40 GBP, so around $60 US, smooth, cheap, and great for those rainy days.

Good luck

Thanks Louisa,

PFF we actually got a concept2 rower a few years back but I rarely use it for any more than 2000m (about 9mins work) or even shorter sprints as longer runs give me low back ache. The waking is okay. As long as I have eyesight enough to do this without serious danger, I prefer to be outdoors with the woofer

Interesting points re warming up. This does mean I spend 40mins outside the zone though! I have fairly good heart/lung function due to years of doing yoga - long slow controlled breaths while doing fairly strenuous dynamic movements.

I haven't done any HIIT yet (since starting PB) but I imagine I'll get a ton out of it on the C2!

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorlton View Post
    Thanks Louisa,

PFF we actually got a concept2 rower a few years back but I rarely use it for any more than 2000m (about 9mins work) or even shorter sprints as longer runs give me low back ache. The waking is okay. As long as I have eyesight enough to do this without serious danger, I prefer to be outdoors with the woofer

Interesting points re warming up. This does mean I spend 40mins outside the zone though! I have fairly good heart/lung function due to years of doing yoga - long slow controlled breaths while doing fairly strenuous dynamic movements.

I haven't done any HIIT yet (since starting PB) but I imagine I'll get a ton out of it on the C2!
    Even if you are out of your ideal aerobic zone, it is a sliding scale, rather than a cut off. It's not like 'drop below 130bpm and the aerobic adaptation stops'. Even if you take just 10 mins slowly coming up into the zone and 10 mins coming down to a lower HR it's all good.

With the C2, a lot of people allow their lumbar spine to go into flexion when moving forward on the seat, and then into lumbar extension when drawing back. Try to keep a neutral spine and activate the core by pulling the belly button in towards the spine at those end points, shoulder blades pulled in a little can also help with preventing too much flexion on the thoracic spine.