Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pork....greatest food ever? page

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

Pork....greatest food ever?

Primal Fuel
    A couple of observations first.

We have a whole thread about people increasing the bacon in their diet seeing improvement in their health. Several traditional societies made it THE primary source of fat and protein (of particular not is the traditional Okinawans and Celts). Pig/Boar has very similar internal anatomy, omnivore, and such as to that of humans.....like - like? I personally LOVE the stuff and when you slow cook some good ribs I feel you likely benefit from a combo shot of the meat AND the bone since its cooked low and slow for so long.

The nay sayers: High O6 and.....I'm not sure if there is an and. I'm currently convinced that naturally occurring O6 can be as anti-inflammatory as O3. The effect of almonds on inflammation and oxidati... [Eur J Nutr. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI I know not about pork, but nuts seem to have the same stigma.

I feel like we are all leaning toward other ruminants as the optimal meat and demonization of pork to an extent. What do you think? Good enough evidence to limit pork or should we actually be seeking it out?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-22-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    I love pork. I think balance is the key. If you are limiting your intake of 06 by cooking in optimal fats and not eating out frequently and are including fish regularly in your diet, then I see no problem with including pork (and chicken) as mainstays of your diet.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. Growing up in the 1950s and 1960s, we had friends with a farm and always bought half a steer and and half a hog from them each year. Good meat. I'm quite partial to country style ribs, slow roasted and dripping with rendered fat.

Wild hogs are now a pest in Texas, freely hunted. I'm hoping my brother takes an opportunity this year - I'll pay for the butchering, if he gets me an otherwise free, pastured hog!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Wild hogs are now a pest in Texas, freely hunted. I'm hoping my brother takes an opportunity this year - I'll pay for the butchering, if he gets me an otherwise free, pastured hog!
    That sounds so awesome! I'm considering a move.....

Moll is offline Member
    I love bacon.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    The anti-inflammatory effects of almonds can't be said to have anything to do with fatty acids based on that paper, there is more to a nut than its fatty acids. Like gamma tocopherol Gamma-tocopherol, but not alpha-tocopherol, decrease... [FASEB J. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI or polyphenols or something else.The extrapolation to other sources of omega-6 fatty acids can't be made.

I also love bacon.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I have yet to delve in to try to understand the 3s and 6s.

But I love meat, all meat. It is what I tend to go to when I want something & I don't know what I want. So, I have to try to watch it. Waaay too easy for me to overdo the protein - at least I think. I really don't know how much I should be having. Still trying to figure that one out. I usually stay somewhere within .5 to 1 of lean body mass. It is just all over the place. I could go for a steak right now, beef or pork, I dont care Or just throw me some bones to gnaw on, maybe that would do it.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think I made this exact same observation a few months ago, Neckhammer. I think the pig is king of meats.

I have a chart here in Art and Science of Low Carb Performance:

Pig fat (lard): 12% PUFA, 47% MUFA, 41% SFA
    Human fat: 18% PUFA, 55% MUFA, 27% SFA

It would seem to me that pork is quite close to human. If it does have loads of O6, it's within that miniscule 18% of the total. Beef tallow and butter are similar, by the way.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Yes... yes it is.

I love beef too, don't get me wrong. And lamb, etc.

But I can eat pork more often without getting tired of it.
    Ohhh... pork belly.
    Yes, not bacon... just uncured belly. *sigh*

I do try to be an equal opportunity animal lover though.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It amazes me how much different cuts of pork taste. From bacon to ham to ribs to a loin chop. Each one tastes much different. It also absorbs flavor well from smoke or rub.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast