Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pork....greatest food ever? page 6

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, but I feed three people, and I am the only one who likes lamb a lot, so it seems wasteful to pay the premium. But it gives me an idea. I am going to buy expensive lamb as a treat for my b-day tomorrow, and make one of the recipes I have never tried, like a leg of lamb or lamb chops, because the cost is prohibitive.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i know it's just the interwebs, but you seem able to block about every suggestion ever offered to you. do the 3 of you eat every single meal together?

happy birthday. mine is next week.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Leida is offline Senior Member
    What do you mean, block? You actually inspired me to grab lamb for my b-day treat! Yes, we eat all our meals as a family, and it is important to me to make sure our 6 yo eats the same thing we eat so I don't turn into a short order cook - and it won't be a good example if I start making something separate for myself. At work I have eggs or fats as my food; on the weekends we eat all meals together. I love cooking, but I try to spend less than 2 hours a day on average in the kitchen... but there is always something to preserve, process or cook. Like yesterday I had an old-world experience running between the garden and the kitchen, as I was roasting a pumpkin to make preserved puree for the year, roasting the hocks and seeds, and slicing the sweet potato to fill in the dehydrator and then baking the brie dip and making the veggie platter for no-cook supper. And tonight I have to process the turkey for bone broth and the jerky. And make supper.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post

Pig tongue confit is in the sous vide
    Ooh, that looks tasty. I have a source of pork tongue. I must learn how to make this, but without sous vide. I don't want to purchase a machine or cook my food in plastic bags.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    One of the reasons pork is my fave meat is because I get mine from an awesome farmer in the Hudson Valley who somehow raises the most delicious animals you've ever tasted. Spring Lake Farm - Spring Lake Farm specializes in 100% grass-fed beef, lamb and pastured pork. Their beef and lamb are also great, but the pork is really some of the best ever, and that includes "black pig" pork from southern Japan.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Ooh, that looks tasty. I have a source of pork tongue. I must learn how to make this, but without sous vide. I don't want to purchase a machine or cook my food in plastic bags.
    You don't need sous vide, I did because I didn't have enough lard to submerge the entire tongue
    The Nasty Bits: Confit of Pork Tongue with Warm Lentil Salad | Serious Eats : Recipes
    Disregard the lentils

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post
    You don't need sous vide, I did because I didn't have enough lard to submerge the entire tongue
    The Nasty Bits: Confit of Pork Tongue with Warm Lentil Salad | Serious Eats : Recipes
    Disregard the lentils
    zomg -- i make tongue often. this sounds AMAZING!!!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    So basically slow cook in fat instead of water. Wow, amazing. And you don't have to peel off the outer layer of a pork tongue? That was one reason I never bought them before was because it looked like it would be so hard to peel off the external layer I'd probably ruin the whole thing.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

HilaryJ is offline Junior Member
    I am so glad to have found one source of superior meat near me!

My meat source does one "unnatural" thing with his pork ... he keeps them segregated in their own pasture. Apparently pigs like to eat the dung of other critters. Not that of their own species, but that of all the other critters Robert raises on his ranch so he keeps them separate. All they get is the organic, non-GM feed and plenty of pasture goodness. He decided he, himself, would rather not eat an animal that eats ... um ... poop (had another word in mind) and he will only sell what he's willing to eat himself.

I slow-cook the roasts with no added seasonings and it tastes incredible all on its own.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    So basically slow cook in fat instead of water. Wow, amazing. And you don't have to peel off the outer layer of a pork tongue? That was one reason I never bought them before was because it looked like it would be so hard to peel off the external layer I'd probably ruin the whole thing.
    No peeling of pork tongue, beef is very easy to remove the skin, just slips right off when cooked long enough

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast