Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pork....greatest food ever? page 4

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I love pork belly, was just to the Farmer's Market but they didn't have any.

So what's the righ tway to cook? I just throw them in the pan and fry, badabum. Any other recipes?

Heth is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    You can buy it now nitrate & nitrite free, it's so good.
    I wish I could...I haven't found it anywhere here in Tasmania, Australia. The stuff at the health food store is "olde style", made with honey instead of sugar and has nitrates/nitrites. The best I can get is free-range local bacon but that's pretty expensive and probably still had nitrates/nitrites (not sure cause it's at gourmet butchers' displays, not in packets).
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Buy pork belly... cure it yourself.
    There are tons of nitrate free recipes on the interwebz.

Or... just eat the delicious pork belly!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Buy pork belly... cure it yourself.
    There are tons of nitrate free recipes on the interwebz.

Or... just eat the delicious pork belly!
    Good idea. I'm gonna talk to the butcher and see if he can hook me up cause I never see "pork belly" out in the glass show case.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    First time I saw a break-down of human adipose. Does that suggest we should be consuming about the same mix of fats? Eg, if our bodies are smart enough to store 18% PUFA, 55% MUFA and only 27% SFA, shouldn't we consume in about that same percentage?
    I think that we are supposed to come to something close. It's the proportions you'd end up with if you consumed lots of olive oil and pork, lamb, beef butter and cream. Which sounds almost Italian, so add Italy to your list of pork-lovin' cultures. All that prosciutto and hams and stuff.

Here's an interesting blog post by Dr. Mike:
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.How about a hand for the hog » The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

Here's a fascinating video on how to butcher a hog with hand tools:
    On The Anatomy Of Thrift: Side Butchery on Vimeo
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I like pork a lot. The loin, for those of us who can't eat unlimited calories, is one of the lowest caloric sources of protein around. Fattier cuts are of course more delicious.

Except for scallops, I pretty much like to eat all animals, land and aquatic.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    the most sublime prosciutto i ever ate was made from pigs raised as a sideline by a vineyard. the pigs ate the leftover grape must. drop. dead. delicious. and a wallet killer too, lol.

i slow-cook pork belly. slice onions into thick rings into a baking dish. prop the chunks of pork belly on top. pour boiling water in to cover the onions. roast at 400 about 30 min. lower heat to 300. cook til fall apart tender, 3-5 hours. use onions as a side.

also google recipes for carnitas.

you definitely do NOT need added fat, since pork belly can be 50% + fat or even more. a small piece goes a long way.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I just stuff the pork belly in a crockpot overnight with a little salt and pepper and water to cover. Next time I do this, since I have the kind with skin on, I will then remove from the crock pot, rub the skin with salt and broil the skin side until the skin is crispy.

For some reason the fat on pork seems to have the same consistency as the meat. So I find it very easy to eat fatty pork.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Paleobird Guest
    This thread is giving me a chincharones craving.

SuziW is offline Junior Member
    I would love to be able to buy free range pork and bacon, but it's really hard to find here in Australia I can get nitrate free bacon from a local butcher here, but it's made from factory farmed pork which I won't eat...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast