Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pork....greatest food ever? page 3

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Holy crap! I was just playing around entering some cuts of pork into cronometer and pork belly is crazy high in calories! I usually eat 200g meat portions so I entered that in of pork belly to compare and it has 1036 calories!! Add some butter to cook it and that would just about be my entire daily intake as per usual.
    I regularly take two or three days a week and eat almost nothing but bacon and eggs. One pound of bacon and then four eggs. All I need for the day.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heth View Post
    Which cuts of pork are fatty? Pork's the "other" meat that I walk straight past...I've only ever bought bacon and ham but I steer clear of both of those now because I think I was getting a headache from all the nitrates. But I've just rediscovered lamb, so I'm inspired to experiment with some pork cuts too. Looking at the website of a local grocery store I see that pork loin chops, pork belly, pork cutlets, pork spare ribs and shoulder chops are all available and reasonably priced, and they're free range.
    You can buy it now nitrate & nitrite free, it's so good.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I love this post. The pig has obviously always been revered by people. I recently did an experiment where I took pork and beef out of my diet for a beef which was all I had eat for a couple months. I switched to salmon and chicken. I wouldn't say I felt like shit, but I definitely feel much better with pork and beef in my diet. I realize this is a personal experiment so there isn't any factual information to offer. Someone close to me just advertised pastured pigs for sale at a great price, I would really love to order half of one if I can get some money put back. The only drawback is they advertise that the pigs have access to "high quality corn" daily. Although the pigs looked very healthy and forage through the woods all day long. Its gotta be much better than the stuff I get at Wal-Mart lol
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    The societies I'm most familiar with that consume a LOT o' pork are the Filipinos & the Hawaiians, also consume a lot of fish as well. Also taro, fresh fruits (I'm speaking traditional diets, not modern diets).

Also they are either some or all of the following: active physical workers, ocean swimmers, walkers, hikers, mountain climbers & kayakers & surfers.

I'm a recent convert to the religion of pork (raised in a kosher home).
    I love it!
    I seek it out, in the form of my weekend bacon which I look forward to, yeah tomorrow is Sunday, as well as pulled pork which I make myself complete with a finally perfected paleo BBQ sauce that rocks out, even my former-grocery-store-brand-lovin' mom loves it! (high praise).

The Chinese venerate it, for its many healthy energetic attributes: take yer pick from these many links to TCM sites. I particularly enjoyed reading #5, bacon, trotters, gallbladders, hearts you name it the Chinese eat & categorize it...

1. Food treatment: winter eating pork seven major benefits of blood ...

www.tcmwell.com/TCMNaturalTherapy/.../Food-treatment--winter-e...
      Nov 16, 2011 Nutrient-rich pig's blood, food therapy can stasis, stop bleeding, colon,Winter is the season of nutritional supplements, the benefits of eating ...

2. Pork|Chinese Medicine Diet, Food + Nutrition Guide

www.asante-academy.com/ke-explains/foodsa-z/pork.htm
      Read more about Pork in Dr Deng's Chinese Medicine Diet, Food and Nutrition A-Z guide. ... Pork meat nourishes weakness, benefits the blood and qi. People ...
    3. Five Elements Guide TCM Doctors - Study In China

www.study-in-china.org China Feature
      Dec 13, 2010 UNDER TCM theory, even people are classified according to the five elements. ... Foods that benefit the heart while nourishing yin are often ... Lean pork, jujube, glutinous rice, beef, chicken and black mullet are good choices.
    4. What are Heaty and Cooling Foods? - Amazing Benefits of Honey!

www.benefits-of-honey.com/heaty.html
      In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), the notion of heaty (yang)(as ... duck, fig, kidney bean, lotus fruit and seed, milk, olive, oyster, papaya, pork, potato, ...
    5. [PDF] PORK: MOISTENING YOUR INTERNAL DESERT - Meridian ...

www.meridian-acupuncture-clinic.com/support-files/tcm-pork.pdf
      File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
      12 spezzatino.com Volume 10. FOODS THAT HEAL. TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE. PORK: MOISTENING. YOUR INTERNAL. DESERT. Paul O'Brien ...
    6. TCM -What is Food Therapy?

www.tcmecc.org/foodtherapy.htm
      One of the 5 major branches of Traditional Chinese Medicine is Food Therapy. ... 2. Black -boned chicken 3. Chicken 4. Duck 5. Mutton 6. Pork. Dairy Products. 1. ..... It also benefits the heart, and is useful for palpitations due to fright, insomnia, ...
    7. Acupuncture.Com - Diabetes Mellitus From Western and TCM ...

www.acupuncture.com/Conditions/diabetes2c.htm
      The Chinese author's treatment using pork pancreas was similar to modern treatment by insulin. In Chinese medicine however, thirst, weight loss, fatigue, and ...
    8. Chinese Nutrition by Food Group - Traditional Chinese Medicine

www.acupuncture.com/nutrition/chinut1.htm
      Qi. Pork: neutral, sweet & salty, Sp, St, Ki, Lubricates dryness (Ni: sl. cold) ... Egg white: cool, sweet, detoxifies, lubricates Lu, cools hot sensations, benefits throat ...
    9. A Teaspoon Of Vinegar A Day Keeps The Doctor Away at Chinese ...

www.chinesefoodhealth.com/.../a-teaspoon-of-vinegar-a-day-keeps-t...
      Mar 26, 2009 As you can see, while pork trotter is rich in calcium and vinegar helps... Of course you don't have to be a mom to enjoy the benefits of vinegar.
    10. Koo's Acupuncture & Herbal Clinic - TCM Chinese Nutrition

koosacupuncture.com/page1.html
      Our ancestors took advantage of the medicinal qualities of food to prevent and treat ....function: pork or chicken livers can benefit persons having Liver disorders ; ...
    Cool post! Thanks for sharing this.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    I've been eating a LOT of ground pork recently and feeling pretty good. I can get pasture-raised ground pork cheaper than I can the equivilent amount of grass-fed ground beef. That's certainly helped me make up my mind that pork is ok to include.

Also, can't go wrong with a wonderful pasture-raised pork loin chop cooked to perfection in coconut oil, letting the chops soak up that coconut flavor, topped over a delicious veggie-filled omlete. Now I'm drooling.

Also, for an interesting way to get your pork AND your beef in one sitting...

Blend four or five uncooked slices of bacon in blender. Add resultant mush to one pound of ground beef. Cook and fill entire residence with delicious smoked smell that seems to permeate even deeper than cooking bacon on it's own does.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 09-23-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I've eaten boar. You can't lump it together with pork. Much better. Almost nutty.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have a chart here in Art and Science of Low Carb Performance:

Pig fat (lard): 12% PUFA, 47% MUFA, 41% SFA
    Human fat: 18% PUFA, 55% MUFA, 27% SFA
    First time I saw a break-down of human adipose. Does that suggest we should be consuming about the same mix of fats? Eg, if our bodies are smart enough to store 18% PUFA, 55% MUFA and only 27% SFA, shouldn't we consume in about that same percentage?

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    Pork is my favourite meat. I only make ruminants the cornerstone of my diet as I have been informed that the O3 ratio is superior.

Pork belly = heaven.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    I've eaten boar. You can't lump it together with pork. Much better. Almost nutty.
    Oh,yeah. Yummy stuff. They have wild boar meat at my local Sprouts store so I eat that sometimes and make sausage out of it. But I do pretty much give other pork a pass due to their diet.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Oh,yeah. Yummy stuff. They have wild boar meat at my local Sprouts store so I eat that sometimes and make sausage out of it. But I do pretty much give other pork a pass due to their diet.
    I have a naturally raised pork source. I still prefer the boar though. I'll actually be heading to the market at the start of next month to pick up an entire trunkfull of pork, beef and any exotic meats that catch my eye.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast