Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pork....greatest food ever? page 2

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hubby just bought 2 piglets( he was supposed to get 1). He's got this wonderful situation: he's a high school teacher and he heard that a student in an Ag. class needed a project; apparently she is very responsible and has done a lot of 4H so Hubby decided to help her out by buying pigs for her to raise. She takes care of their daily needs and hubby supplies the food. He's giving them organic hog food and he's worked out a deal with a local store to get their produce and dairy that's too old to sell. He also plans on collecting acorns for them, he's obviously very resourceful. In the spring we will have them butchered. I think we may have to find some else to go in on the other hog as we are only a family of 3 and we already have 1/2 a cow in the freezer.
    Last edited by Urban Forager; 09-22-2012 at 07:06 PM.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Don't get me wrong I love pork (bacon, chops, ribs, tenderloin...), but sometimes when I'm cooking it, it smells like my uncles hay and cow barn.

I still eat it anyway.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    A couple of observations first.

We have a whole thread about people increasing the bacon in their diet seeing improvement in their health. Several traditional societies made it THE primary source of fat and protein (of particular not is the traditional Okinawans and Celts). Pig/Boar has very similar internal anatomy, omnivore, and such as to that of humans.....like - like? I personally LOVE the stuff and when you slow cook some good ribs I feel you likely benefit from a combo shot of the meat AND the bone since its cooked low and slow for so long.

The nay sayers: High O6 and.....I'm not sure if there is an and. I'm currently convinced that naturally occurring O6 can be as anti-inflammatory as O3. The effect of almonds on inflammation and oxidati... [Eur J Nutr. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI I know not about pork, but nuts seem to have the same stigma.

I feel like we are all leaning toward other ruminants as the optimal meat and demonization of pork to an extent. What do you think? Good enough evidence to limit pork or should we actually be seeking it out?
    The societies I'm most familiar with that consume a LOT o' pork are the Filipinos & the Hawaiians, also consume a lot of fish as well. Also taro, fresh fruits (I'm speaking traditional diets, not modern diets).

Also they are either some or all of the following: active physical workers, ocean swimmers, walkers, hikers, mountain climbers & kayakers & surfers.

I'm a recent convert to the religion of pork (raised in a kosher home).
    I love it!
    I seek it out, in the form of my weekend bacon which I look forward to, yeah tomorrow is Sunday, as well as pulled pork which I make myself complete with a finally perfected paleo BBQ sauce that rocks out, even my former-grocery-store-brand-lovin' mom loves it! (high praise).

The Chinese venerate it, for its many healthy energetic attributes: take yer pick from these many links to TCM sites. I particularly enjoyed reading #5, bacon, trotters, gallbladders, hearts you name it the Chinese eat & categorize it...

1. Food treatment: winter eating pork seven major benefits of blood ...

www.tcmwell.com/TCMNaturalTherapy/.../Food-treatment--winter-e...
      Nov 16, 2011 – Nutrient-rich pig's blood, food therapy can stasis, stop bleeding, colon,Winter is the season of nutritional supplements, the benefits of eating ...

2. Pork|Chinese Medicine Diet, Food + Nutrition Guide

www.asante-academy.com/ke-explains/foodsa-z/pork.htm
      Read more about Pork in Dr Deng's Chinese Medicine Diet, Food and Nutrition A-Z guide. ... Pork meat nourishes weakness, benefits the blood and qi. People ...
    3. Five Elements Guide TCM Doctors - Study In China

www.study-in-china.org › China Feature
      Dec 13, 2010 – UNDER TCM theory, even people are classified according to the five elements. ... Foods that benefit the heart while nourishing yin are often ... Lean pork, jujube, glutinous rice, beef, chicken and black mullet are good choices.
    4. What are Heaty and Cooling Foods? - Amazing Benefits of Honey!

www.benefits-of-honey.com/heaty.html
      In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), the notion of heaty (yang)(as ... duck, fig, kidney bean, lotus fruit and seed, milk, olive, oyster, papaya, pork, potato, ...
    5. [PDF] PORK: MOISTENING YOUR INTERNAL DESERT - Meridian ...

www.meridian-acupuncture-clinic.com/support-files/tcm-pork.pdf
      File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
      12 spezzatino.com Volume 10. FOODS THAT HEAL. TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE. PORK: MOISTENING. YOUR INTERNAL. DESERT. Paul O'Brien ...
    6. TCM -What is Food Therapy?

www.tcmecc.org/foodtherapy.htm
      One of the 5 major branches of Traditional Chinese Medicine is Food Therapy. ... 2. Black -boned chicken 3. Chicken 4. Duck 5. Mutton 6. Pork. Dairy Products. 1. ..... It also benefits the heart, and is useful for palpitations due to fright, insomnia, ...
    7. Acupuncture.Com - Diabetes Mellitus From Western and TCM ...

www.acupuncture.com/Conditions/diabetes2c.htm
      The Chinese author's treatment using pork pancreas was similar to modern treatment by insulin. In Chinese medicine however, thirst, weight loss, fatigue, and ...
    8. Chinese Nutrition by Food Group - Traditional Chinese Medicine

www.acupuncture.com/nutrition/chinut1.htm
      Qi. Pork: neutral, sweet & salty, Sp, St, Ki, Lubricates dryness (Ni: sl. cold) ... Egg white: cool, sweet, detoxifies, lubricates Lu, cools hot sensations, benefits throat ...
    9. A Teaspoon Of Vinegar A Day Keeps The Doctor Away at Chinese ...

www.chinesefoodhealth.com/.../a-teaspoon-of-vinegar-a-day-keeps-t...
      Mar 26, 2009 – As you can see, while pork trotter is rich in calcium and vinegar helps... Of course you don't have to be a mom to enjoy the benefits of vinegar.
    10. Koo's Acupuncture & Herbal Clinic - TCM Chinese Nutrition

koosacupuncture.com/page1.html
      Our ancestors took advantage of the medicinal qualities of food to prevent and treat ....function: pork or chicken livers can benefit persons having Liver disorders ; ...
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-22-2012 at 10:33 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    there is of course the religious restrictions on eating pork. that aside, if i can get free range hogs, i get pork but it is very expensive so i dont do it often. i much prefer wild hogs flavourwise. you do need to make sure you dont get a smelly old boar but a nice young animal tastes good. plus they are a pest.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure that pigs consider FL "free-range" heaven... and then we eat them.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Heth is offline Member
    Which cuts of pork are fatty? Pork's the "other" meat that I walk straight past...I've only ever bought bacon and ham but I steer clear of both of those now because I think I was getting a headache from all the nitrates. But I've just rediscovered lamb, so I'm inspired to experiment with some pork cuts too. Looking at the website of a local grocery store I see that pork loin chops, pork belly, pork cutlets, pork spare ribs and shoulder chops are all available and reasonably priced, and they're free range.
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

Heth is offline Member
    Holy crap! I was just playing around entering some cuts of pork into cronometer and pork belly is crazy high in calories! I usually eat 200g meat portions so I entered that in of pork belly to compare and it has 1036 calories!! Add some butter to cook it and that would just about be my entire daily intake as per usual.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heth View Post
    Holy crap! I was just playing around entering some cuts of pork into cronometer and pork belly is crazy high in calories! I usually eat 200g meat portions so I entered that in of pork belly to compare and it has 1036 calories!! Add some butter to cook it and that would just about be my entire daily intake as per usual.
    Ok... seriously... you do not need any butter to cook pork belly.
    Pork belly is "bacon" that is completely unsalted and uncured.
    It is mostly slow roasted, then finished with some high heat to crisp the skin

And... a SMALL portion is very, very filling!
    Delicious and satisfying. (IMO)
    I'm not a person that sees great value in the "volume" of foods though...
    I only eat one normal sized meal per day. *shrug*
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    there is of course the religious restrictions on eating pork. that aside, if i can get free range hogs, i get pork but it is very expensive so i dont do it often. i much prefer wild hogs flavourwise. you do need to make sure you dont get a smelly old boar but a nice young animal tastes good. plus they are a pest.
    In Hawaii the indigenous locals get hired by the haole residents to come onto their property to hunt & kill the pesky wild hogs that trample & eat their dainty gardens & eat their tree fruits off the ground at night before the residents can pick their fruit the next day. The natives get well paid to hunt & kill their family's breakfasts, lunches & dinners for the week!
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Heth is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Ok... seriously... you do not need any butter to cook pork belly.
    Pork belly is "bacon" that is completely unsalted and uncured.
    It is mostly slow roasted, then finished with some high heat to crisp the skin

And... a SMALL portion is very, very filling!
    Delicious and satisfying. (IMO)
    I'm not a person that sees great value in the "volume" of foods though...
    I only eat one normal sized meal per day. *shrug*
    Oh okay I really had no idea, I was thinking it would be a sort of steak-like fry up situation . I'm a bit lazy and impatient to slow cook things, can it be cooked quickly at all or does this make it tough?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast