Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pareto Primal page 2

caprica is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    I don't think there is a critical 20% of the Primal Blueprint that will give you 80% of the results.
    Good point. Do all ten of the primal blueprint laws make an equal contribution to the outcome or are some laws more important than others?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caprica View Post
    what is the 20% of the blueprint that gives 80% of the benefits?
    Eliminate wheat, white sugar and vegetable oils.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think the crap oils and the refined carbs. Not so much for the things they cause you to eliminate, but on their own, these two things do the majority of the damage.
    Twins!
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    Good point. Do all ten of the primal blueprint laws make an equal contribution to the outcome or are some laws more important than others?
    The most focus often gets put on the dietary aspects of PB with exercise running a distant second and everything else kinda gets short shrift.

But it ALL matters. If you are not sleeping well and getting enough vitamin D from the sun and stressing out too much due to not making time for play, all the perfect eating and fanatic exercise in the world can be completely derailed. It all has to work together.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The most focus often gets put on the dietary aspects of PB with exercise running a distant second and everything else kinda gets short shrift.

But it ALL matters. If you are not sleeping well and getting enough vitamin D from the sun and stressing out too much due to not making time for play, all the perfect eating and fanatic exercise in the world can be completely derailed. It all has to work together.
    Hmmm, interesting - I do know what you mean (i.e. it all matters). But, I get the sense that most people on the forum focus on about 2.5 of the 10 rules (mainly rule 1, part of rule 2 and either rule 3 or 4), and still feel like they are getting pretty good results (i.e. greater than 25% of the outcome).

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i think many come here at this point for weight loss and eliminating grains causes that quickly for most.

it may take longer to stick with it, really clean house -- diet-wise-- and get other aspects going like sleep, play, regular movement and learning to safely reduce your stress levels. then it's remarkable how much better you can feel and look. light years better than what happens when you just give up bread but are still eating primal treats and splurging on pizza once a week.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 09-23-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Paleobird Guest
    Hmmm, interesting - I do know what you mean (i.e. it all matters). But, I get the sense that most people on the forum focus on about 2.5 of the 10 rules (mainly rule 1, part of rule 2 and either rule 3 or 4), and still feel like they are getting pretty good results (i.e. greater than 25% of the outcome).
    Some manage but then there are the ones posting about "why isn't it working for me?" and when the questions and answers start flowing it comes out that they are running on 4 hours of sleep a night, have four little kids, are working 12 hour days and commuting in rush hour traffic for three hours a day. In the wintertime they leave for work in the dark and come home in the dark with only florescent cubicle light in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Some manage but then there are the ones posting about "why isn't it working for me?" and when the questions and answers start flowing it comes out that they are running on 4 hours of sleep a night, have four little kids, are working 12 hour days and commuting in rush hour traffic for three hours a day. In the wintertime they leave for work in the dark and come home in the dark with only florescent cubicle light in between.
    :-O that's me. Must admit that fitting a 5 hours a week of slow exercise around family/work/commuting while telling your loved ones that the food they love is now off the menu does not go down that well. Hence the question about pareto primal. i.e. what is the least you can do?

Paleobird Guest
    :-O that's me. Must admit that fitting a 5 hours a week of slow exercise around family/work/commuting while telling your loved ones that the food they love is now off the menu does not go down that well. Hence the question about pareto primal. i.e. what is the least you can do?
    Ah, I see. Well how you deal with your family is up to you. Ideally you could get them to understand why this is important and to actively be participating with you. But if you had to start somewhere imposing things I would say to make a strict no sweeteners of any kind (real or fake) rule. That will, by default, cut out a lot of other things they shouldn't be eating like flour and bad oils since they usually all come packaged together.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Hence the question about pareto primal. i.e. what is the least you can do?
    this seems so reductionist. wouldn't you rather strive for the "most" you can do?

my workdays are frequently 12-16 hours. my commute is 45 minutes (at best) each way. 3 times per week, i don't get home from work til midnightish, and 2 of those i need to be back out the door at 8:00 am. i've been job-seeking and experiencing lots of anxiety. i have always been active and most days i cover 6-10 miles just at work.

3 years ago, i gave up grains and added fats, through atkins. this january, i started to really fine-tune my diet through primal. i've added bone broth, organ meats, vitamin d, magnesium and vitamin k to my menus. the improvement in my health, and through it my mental state, from these changes has been nothing short of remarkable. it makes so many more things bearable.

try focusing on the big picture instead of drilling down to omg the kids can't have chicken nuggets anymore. blech -- why should they have them at all? i cook for my b/f and just add rice or potatoes or some such to his plate. his meal is just like mine. are you feeding kids? teens? other adults in your home? if they are big enough and balking enough then they can cook for themselves. if it's little kids there may be some backlash at first, but find a kid that won't eat bacon.

fine tune the food -- the rest will come.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have never looked at primal from a pareto angle but whilst simplistic I think it can be somewhat adopted specifically as it relates to the diet aspect of the primal lifestyle. I think for me diet wise, the 20% was giving up grains and legumes particularly wheat and any kind of processed/added sugar. Doing those two things have made a HUGE impact in how I look and feel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12