Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Is there really a nutritional need for fruits and vegetables? page 9

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    We modern people have SO MUCH MORE variety than primitive humans, who pretty much ate the same stuff most of the time, finding a honeybee's hive was a major event, a cause for tribal celebration. Same with other calorific treats that we take for granted, like butter by the lb or kilo or coconut oil in a bottle or a 5 gallon bucket, easily obtained in whatever quantities we can afford to buy & store from our local grocer, farmer's market or CSA or online.
    So true. We have variety to excess. My point was more that a person who restricts themselves entirely to animal matter won't take advantage of the variety (brains, kidneys, other offal) or understand the need to eat with thought to get the total package of nutrients.

I'm sure this has been addressed like crazy on MDA. Time to take a look. As you can see, being a "Senior Member" has nothing to do with my knowledge base. I'm not giving up my veggies any time soon. Winter squash is here and I'm in heaven.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    So true. We have variety to excess. My point was more that a person who restricts themselves entirely to animal matter won't take advantage of the variety (brains, kidneys, other offal) or understand the need to eat with thought to get the total package of nutrients.
    Exactly. You can be very healthy on a diet like the traditional diets of northern peoples, but you can't expect to see the same effects from a diet of steak and butter. There is more to health than macronutrient ratios.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Not that steak and butter don't have their place. Both are foods near and dear to my heart.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    If offal, liver, sweetbreads, raw milk etc were as accessible as fruits and veg I would be eating them for my nutrients; the closest I get is liver about twice a year.
    ad astra per aspera

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    There isn't a nutrition "need" for any group of foods. However you aren't going to find good sources of soluble fibre, anti oxidants (though I realise the research on them isn't concrete) and various vitamins and minerals in other sources of food, as much as in vegetables.

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    From the notes of that YouTube video: "In this video Dr. Greg Ellis goes over the Paleolithic Diet and gives his opinion on the subject. He starts by talking about how ancient man use to eat and how the vitamin myth has changed how people eat."

To be fair, I found this too: "Dr. Greg Ellis is the number one authority on weight control and nutrition. Through forty years of scientific research Dr. Ellis has found the answer to why so many Americans are over weight. It's simple and to gain a clear understanding of what the cause is, a shift in thinking is required. The reason why so many Americans are overweight is due to misinformation and myths about the foods we should eat and why.I will show you how to lose the weight you want and at the same time gain LEAN MUSCLE TISSUE without all the fake, over marketed supplements out there today!"

Who ranked Dr Greg as #1 or is this more opinion/hyperbole from Byebyecarbs??

I think Dr Greg is without any doubt a LOT smarter & more knowlegeable & experienced than I am @ paleo nutrition & fitness training & weight loss with his clients than I am with mine. But I disagree, in part, with some of his specific opinions & assertions on this particular subject.

I have just recently advocated a 100% carb free ketotic 3 week phase to a potential client who was seriously a vegan carb/sugar addict. So I do believe the efficacy of VLC or even periods of NO carbs. I know some hard core paleos do well on long term 100% meat & fat diets. For them, it's quite healing. But many people do not do well eating that way, for a multitude of reasons. In fact, many people suffer & have health issues, both physical & emotional, from attempting to do so, because their ego or their dogma tells them its the superior way - the way our paleo ancestors lived. Truthfully, there is no single model for paleo man's diet, the terrain & circumstances were too diverse for anyone to definitively say one way is factually how ancient men & women ate. That's another point too, that women's metabolisms & brains developed & evolved quite differently than men. This we can all agree on, yes?

I personally believe that for the average peson, who is not attempting to use ketosis to treat their disease such as epilepsy or a metabolic syndrome such as hyper- or hypo-thyrodism, alternating between deep ketotic states & mild re-charges is optimal & allows for the spirit of Mark's 80/20 concept to come into play, with beneficial effects.

I love ketosis, but I love dark chocolate truffles & berry/banana smoothies too. Have enjoyed both of them this month...
    We DO NOT PRODUCE CELLULASE, AND THUS CANNOT DIGEST CELLULOSE (indigestible fiber that ruminants CAN break down by enzymatic and bacterial action, coupled with a thorough pulverizing by multiple chewings).

FULL STOP.

Thanks for playing.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    I haven't actually read the book by Weston A Price... wish I could remember the title... but I recall reading an article about the Inuit that said they had significant evidence of osteoporosis at fairly young ages. Also, the article noted that the Inuit seem to prize the vegetables and fruit they can get ahold of. So I think produce really is very important.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    nonsense!
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Lol, maybe we should apply science to this quandary - what essential nutrients are in vegetables/fruit that are not in any edible animal parts?

I know plants can't give us b12, and can't give us o3 very well. But what can plants uniquely give us? Can you get antioxidants or vit c from animals? (Yes, I know the inuit did get some vit c from animals, but I don't see raw adrenalin glands being sold at WF, and I don't know if the amount they ate produced optimal health.)

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Apparently they aren't "essential" if all these civilizations survived on just meat. I still have my raw milk so I can maintain my calcium though
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast