Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there really a nutritional need for fruits and vegetables? page 8

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscellangela View Post
    Who puts relish on bacon?

Lol, just kidding. Couldn't resist. Sorry.

Please continue.
    LOL. We are currently making some sauerkraut, 5yo calls it our "science experiment" (I did desperately try to explain yeast and sugar and fermentation, it was probably terribly wrong though). Maybe next we'll make "relish" of some sort.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    Weak argument. Everything is potentially deadly, even water.
    well water certainly doesn't cause glycation
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    I'm of Irish and Scottish decent so I'd like to think I'm more suited for a herdsman type diet. meat and milk, which ive had great success on. After reading on zeroinginonhealth, they don't see lactose carbs as a problem although some people have a problem with it. I am just going to stay with meat, milk, and eggs and keep my carbs at 60grams with the milk. Instead of this dark chocolate and peanut butter snack ive been having everyday I'll just have a meat and cheese snack
    I've really begun to think there is something to this whole gene expression thing.

I am part native american (not much, but enough that I can't grow much facial or other body hair and have very dark hair on my head). I have been playing around with primal foods and found that red meat or fish along with squashes and some green veggies are giving me the most energy, and accelerated my strength gains and weight loss. If I have dairy, I break out in crazy acne. Wheat/Gluten? upset stomach. Corn? I actually haven't noticed any negative effects from, and doesn't seem to stall my weight loss, though I have been keeping clear from for the most part.

I do like, and have other veggies and primal foods but these ones seem the best.
    Last edited by WeldingHank; 09-24-2012 at 12:16 PM.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    very interesting, i suppose the native americans have been eating maize as a staple for quite sometime. ive never been able to digest it properly, always see if come out the other end. srry if that's TMI lol. but i really didn't think about the fact that my herdsman diet worked so well because of my genes until now. I just thought after trying an all meat diet that i realized how well dairy works for me. today i remember grandparents from both sides telling me we were of herdsman decent
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    I've really begun to think there is something to this whole gene expression thing.

I am part native american (not much, but enough that I can't grow much facial or other body hair and have very dark hair on my head). I have been playing around with primal foods and found that red meat or fish along with squashes and some green veggies are giving me the most energy, and accelerated my strength gains and weight loss. If I have dairy, I break out in crazy acne. Wheat/Gluten? upset stomach. Corn? I actually haven't noticed any negative effects from, and doesn't seem to stall my weight loss, though I have been keeping clear from for the most part.
    I have always been suspicious of the "ancestral diet" diet idea, but I am also part NA (like only 1/32 or something really little like that) and I find a tall glass of milk to be utterly unappetizing. I mean, I look at it and know that other people consider it food, but everything in my head is screaming "not food!" I always found that strange, especially since I am a full 1/4 Irish with another 1/4+ of German, but after finding out that NA never did dairy I'm wondering if I ended up with the no-dairy gene.

I do like cheese though, and being from the Midwest I love super salty and gooey Tex-Mex. But if I do a soft cheese I actually don't feel well (just noticing that now that I'm not constantly high on grains), and the last time I ate yogurt I had a tummy ache.

I have cut out the corn other than popcorn because tortilla chips make me delirious with munchies. I would like to try some properly-limed corn at some point, but I'm too lazy to do it myself. And my European husband already thinks I eat pretty exotic.

Squashes are great. Absolutely great.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    Squashes are great. Absolutely great.
    they are now a part of every day life for me, as opposed to once in a while as they were before.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Well, the Sami aren't technically Europeans as we usually think of that ethnicity. Though, while they originated in Eastern Europe and Asia, so did the Celts, but it seems the Sami migrated to northern Europe first (I think).

This has interesting info about Sami diet: Lifestyle, Genetics, and Disease in Sami . It seems the researchers are a bit confused about the paradox between their diet and their health, lol.

While the Sami are still the only active hunter-gatherer group in Scandinavia, "regular" Scandinavians still eat lots of fish and reindeer meat. I once knew a 3-yo Swedish-American girl whose favorite breakfast (and snack, and lunch, and dinner) was "yellow fish" (aka pickled mustard herring), straight from the jar. Cheese fermented until it is completely black is also still common, and that is also served for breakfast.

Even leaving aside the Scandinavians, the pre-potato and pre-widespread-wheat diet of the British Isles was heavy on seafood, seaweed, pig's head (just pickle it and then pour Guinness over it is how it is still eaten today in some parts of Ireland), and various blood puddings and blood sausage. And of course beef and dairy. Vegetables were considered condiments (Food In Ancient Ireland). Important to note that the Irish used to be considered fierce warriors, it was only after the potato took over that overall health declined.
    Clubs Chaco Taco over his potato-stuffed head...with a stuffed potato (sour creme, butter, bacon & chives)!

So yeah, no need to try to emulate exotic tribes living in a radially different environment. I made fish "fajitas" last night with lots of tilapia and lots of bell peppers with some raw cheddar and avocado over it - that ain't Irish or Eskimo (or anyone else) food. But I thought it was yummy and I'm pretty sure that it was plenty nutritious, more because of the tilapia and cheese than the peppers, but the peppers made it look and taste better.
    Blechh! I rail against farmed tilapia whenever the subject comes up. Least healthy expensive fish I can think of. Catfish is better than that stuff, imo.

The only wild/semi-wild tilapia I've ever encountered was swimming in a Big Island lake outside of Pahoa, called "Green Lake" which was really just a collapsed & inverted ancient volcano dome. The tilapia were nipping on my toes while skinny dipping with friends. Good thing they were interesting in my tender bits as I was vulnerable in the middle of that lake. (They musta been introduced by someone sometime, thats why I said semi-wild. As how could they be there otherwise? They didn't hike in like we did).

But hey, more power to ya, SarahW. If you like/love your tilapia, I'm glad someone here on MDA defends that fishie & enjoys it.
    You can have my tilapia portion @ our next clam bake...
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-24-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    But hey, more power to ya, SarahW. If you like/love your tilapia, I'm glad someone here on MDA defends that fishie & enjoys it.
    You can have my tilapia portion @ our next clam bake...
    Okay!

I don't much like tilapia, but my husband does, but that's because he doesn't care for fish, and tilapia, imo, tastes like chewy air.

From what little I've read, tilapia is the only farmed fish that might actually be healthy by the time it is filleted. And it's low in mercury. And I got it on sale.

I actually prefer mahi mahi in my fish tacos, but that is usually more expensive than my sale-tilapia, and there are huge issues with mislabeling around here, and no other fish can pretend to be chewy air.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    My worry is that we won't/don't eat enough variety in our diets to make up for what we get from fruit or vegetable. A conscious effort can probably can get it done.

It isn't going to work to eat only rib eye steak, eggs and butter. At least I don't think so (over time).

Wouldn't a true caveperson have gone back and forth between meat and plant diets based on availability? Modern humans have ruined their guts. Functioning optimally, we should be able to tolerate plant matter and animal matter and it would be beneficial to have both.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    My worry is that we won't/don't eat enough variety in our diets to make up for what we get from fruit or vegetable. A conscious effort can probably can get it done.

It isn't going to work to eat only rib eye steak, eggs and butter. At least I don't think so (over time).

Wouldn't a true caveperson have gone back and forth between meat and plant diets based on availability? Modern humans have ruined their guts. Functioning optimally, we should be able to tolerate plant matter and animal matter and it would be beneficial to have both.
    We modern people have SO MUCH MORE variety than primitive humans, who pretty much ate the same stuff most of the time, finding a honeybee's hive was a major event, a cause for tribal celebration. Same with other calorific treats that we take for granted, like butter by the lb or kilo or coconut oil in a bottle or a 5 gallon bucket, easily obtained in whatever quantities we can afford to buy & store from our local grocer, farmer's market or CSA or online.
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-24-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast