Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there really a nutritional need for fruits and vegetables? page 6

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    To side-step previous posts:

I do find it annoying when I read a "health" article in the paper and their advice is "eat nutrient dense foods" and then go on to say that means you have to eat lots of fruits and veggies. I just want to yell "or you could just eat some MEAT!"

When I was pregnant I stopped taking my stupid pre-natal because the iron made me terribly constipated, making me avoid eating anything. Whenever I went to the doctor and they figured out I wasn't taking a pre-natal they would always say "but you need the iron!" I always shrugged it off with a comment about eating lots of spinach. The nurses response? "You would have to eat a lot of spinach to get enough iron!" I kid you not.

Now when I look back on it I find it really strange that not one of those nurses told me to make sure I ate red meat a few times a week. I mean, were they afraid they would be sued if I dropped dead from a heart attack? So annoying, but I guess my kid turned out okay - he downs red meat and bacon with relish.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The Inuit are not the only northern latitude aboriginal people, you know. There's another that lives in Europe. Here is what they eat.
    www.eng.samer.se - Food Being that I'm 50% Swedish and Finnish, I presume that I'm genetically predisposed to a similar diet. (The rest of me is other northern European.) My grandparents knew about these things. My grandmother knew how to cook in an earthen oven in the north woods of Minnesota. My grandfather hunted and fished. I learned how to fish early on in my life. My relatives in Minnesota keep a 5gal bucket of pickled herring next to the sofa. These old ways aren't that far away from some of us.

I think most cultures ate at least a little herbal stuff. Herbs have lots of valuable properties. One of the interesting things in that link above was how the Sami preserved milk using herbs.

The original question was is there a nutritional need for fruits and vegetables. I think you probably could formulate a purely meat diet, but I think it would be greatly enhanced by herbs, including such herbs we consider "greens". And if you ever hike along a trail strewn with huckleberries, cloud berries, thimble berries and others, I just dare you to resist.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    @ Sarah W I know the nutrient dense things annoys you but by CW standards they are full of nutrients esp compared to grains.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    @ Sarah W I know the nutrient dense things annoys you but by CW standards they are full of nutrients esp compared to grains.
    Hrmpf - yeah, but pick up any CW book about pregnancy nutrition and under sources of folate will be listed "fortified grains." Sometimes they mention absolutely nothing else.

So, take a bunch of bloated and nauseous women, fill them up with "fortified grains" and then tell them to also eat lots of fruits & veggies, and don't forget the pre-natal! No wonder I couldn't poo and my blood pressure was out of whack.

Argh, sorry, pregnancy was a miserable time in my life, and I'm growing annoyed that I could have solved most of the problems with some beef and some coconut oil.

CW sucks and the government won't let it go because it is 40 years of their wisdom that they would have to admit they are wrong about.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Paleobird Guest
    Even if you could buy your grain fed, hormone free beef you would not have access to the whole animal. So veggies etc do become a valid dietary enhancer.
    This ain't necessarily so. I have a place where I buy whole or half critters nose to tail (beef, lamb, and goat).
    I used to be all about the BAS but not so much anymore. Now it's more of an SAS. I still like some veggies and they keep things interesting like sausage and peppers without the peppers would be kinda boring. But I don't feel like I need them as much as I once did.
    My digestive system seems to be happier without all the extra plant matter also .

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The Inuit are not the only northern latitude aboriginal people, you know. There's another that lives in Europe. Here is what they eat.
    www.eng.samer.se - Food Being that I'm 50% Swedish and Finnish, I presume that I'm genetically predisposed to a similar diet. (The rest of me is other northern European.) My grandparents knew about these things. My grandmother knew how to cook in an earthen oven in the north woods of Minnesota. My grandfather hunted and fished. I learned how to fish early on in my life. My relatives in Minnesota keep a 5gal bucket of pickled herring next to the sofa. These old ways aren't that far away from some of us.

I think most cultures ate at least a little herbal stuff. Herbs have lots of valuable properties. One of the interesting things in that link above was how the Sami preserved milk using herbs.

The original question was is there a nutritional need for fruits and vegetables. I think you probably could formulate a purely meat diet, but I think it would be greatly enhanced by herbs, including such herbs we consider "greens". And if you ever hike along a trail strewn with huckleberries, cloud berries, thimble berries and others, I just dare you to resist.
    I'm not arguing against northern indigenous people's diets as unhealthy at all--I think as they are traditionally consumed, the old foods of northern peoples can be amazingly healthful, but that we can't just look at their macros and think that we're replicating that on steaks and butter (which I know you don't do, sbhikes, but it's a common misconception in low carb discussions). And of course I'm aware that there's a huge diversity among northern peoples around the globe. I definitely don't think the Sami are the same as the Inuit in Nunavut, for example.

In fact, not all Arctic people in Canada are Inuit either, and there's a lot of diversity in both culture and food practices across the north. The Gwich'in for example are dependent primarily on caribou along with some fish and moose for meat. They do, however, eat plants, including methods for preserving things like berries into the winter including using the permafrost as a natural freezer. Their traditional diet would also be considered low carb compared to the average southerner, but they also practice whole animal eating (including brain, stomach, and other bits even many "odd bits" eaters don't consume), as do most indigenous northern peoples. A friend of mine is an ethnobotanist who specifically studies the traditional use of plants in Gwich'in culture, and plant foods are very important both in their daily diet and as traditional medicines.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This ain't necessarily so. I have a place where I buy whole or half critters nose to tail (beef, lamb, and goat).
    I used to be all about the BAS but not so much anymore. Now it's more of an SAS. I still like some veggies and they keep things interesting like sausage and peppers without the peppers would be kinda boring. But I don't feel like I need them as much as I once did.
    My digestive system seems to be happier without all the extra plant matter also .
    Really brain, heart, lungs and other organs??? I really did not think that was possible this side of France.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Really brain, heart, lungs and other organs??? I really did not think that was possible this side of France.
    We get the heart, kidneys and liver with our cattlebeasts.

And at our local supermarket we can buy half a pigs head, brain included (we discovered that we don't like the taste of brain however).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    Yes. Locally grown and halal butchered. Although I don't think I want the lungs. How the heck does one cook lungs?

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    We get the heart, kidneys and liver with our cattlebeasts.
    And at our local supermarket we can buy half a pigs head, brain included (we discovered that we don't like the taste of brain however).
    Ooooh, brains are delicious. Try scrambling them with some eggs. It ends up tasting like egg flavored butter.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast