Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 106

Thread: Is there really a nutritional need for fruits and vegetables? page 3

  1. #21
    BennettC's Avatar
    BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beaufot, SC
    Posts
    528
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    The Royal Navy, in the days of sail, was rampant with scurvy. Their diet was pretty crappy, lots of salted pork and hard biscuits, very little fruit and veg, since it was hard to preserve those things in those days. They discovered that citrus fruit helped cure the scurvy, which is why Brits are called "limeys" from the lime they ate for the vitamin C. Now I realize that most folks don't llive on salted pork and hard tack, but the point I was attempting to make is that fruits do have a place in our diet. They do contain vitamins in larger quantities that some of the vegetables that make up the Primal BAS.
    So, to answer the question "Do fruits belong" I think the answer is yes... but it would be up to the individual to determine how big a place they take in their personal Primal food pyramid.... just a thought from a Primal newbie...
    If you watched the video and knew more about what you were talking about you would know that lime juice and fruit did not in fact cure or prevent scurvy. When the Brits set out on these explorations they were well stocked with cases upon cases of lime juice and marmalades from fruits. The lime juice was drank daily. They also brought grains for porridge with them. Almost every single one of them died of scurvy. Steffanson and his men ate all meat during the exedepition and never even had a case of scurvy. He actually very effectively cured scurvy on the all meat diet. A few of his men brought some marmalade with them on the journey for a treat, within days scurvy appeared. They had to stop the expedition for a few weeks, set up camp, and begin hunting for the sick men to cure their scurvy with the all meat diet. Lime juice does not prevent or cure scurvy.
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

  2. #22
    BennettC's Avatar
    BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beaufot, SC
    Posts
    528
    lol they didn't just hae acess to that stuff year round. It wasn't like ohh lets go pick some strawberries for dessert. If they had access if wasn't more than a month during summer. Don't call me a moron just because I'm right, no need to get defensive
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

  3. #23
    anna5's Avatar
    anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    lol they didn't just hae acess to that stuff year round. It wasn't like ohh lets go pick some strawberries for dessert. If they had access if wasn't more than a month during summer. Don't call me a moron just because I'm right, no need to get defensive
    Clearly you didn't have a wild strawberry in your life. Otherwise you would have known where humans prefer to spend their lives.

  4. #24
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,368
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    I have the following question:
    Are you, people, crazy? One guy brags about dropping (by using blenders, juicers, graters, pushers) all the vegetables of the world into his what seem to be an innocent stomach. The same day, another guy brags about dropping all the wild animals into his what seem to be an innocent stomach. Share your meals, morons.
    WOW! Trolling in the open now? Plenty of people have shared their meals, the precident for meals is in the Primal Blueprint and many, many other primal/paleo cookbooks and blogs. What to eat? Real food that can be eaten cooked or raw - If you can kill it, pick it or dig it you can eat it.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  5. #25
    ssn679doc's Avatar
    ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,149
    I beg to differ. Here is an excerpt from a Harvard study that you may find interesting.


    A Timeline of Scurvy

    The British Navy finally adopted citrus juice as its primary antiscorbutic agent in 1795.[436] The change occurred under the direction of Sir Gilbert Blane, who was appointed Physician to the Fleet.[437] Blane was familiar with the findings of Lind and he had the power and initiative to affect a change to citrus juice.[438] Blane organized a scurvy experiment aboard the HMS Suffolk on a twenty-three week trip to India.[439] During the trip, the ship would make no landings, so scurvy would normally certainly occur.[440] During the trip, sailors were given a mixture of rum, water, sugar, and lemon juice.[441] However, during the trip, a few sailors developed slight cases of scurvy.[442] The sailors were given additional rations of lemon juice and the scurvy was quickly cured.[443] With the results from the HMS Suffolk and the power of his position, Blane was able to insure that fresh citrus juice became a necessary stable in the British Navy, finally conquering this prolific killer.[444]

    It is interesting to note that the British search and eventual discovery of a scurvy cure has led to the modern day term “Limeys.”[445] American sailors began referring to British sailors as “lime-juicers” as a derogatory term in the 1850’s.[446] Later, Americans began using the term to refer to all British and it was shortened to “Limeys.” Today, the British have taken the term on for themselves and use it as a term of affection.[447] The fact that the people of an entire nation are known by a term derived from the cure for scurvy can only emphasize the great importance that the discovery of the cure for scurvy.

  6. #26
    anna5's Avatar
    anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    WOW! Trolling in the open now? Plenty of people have shared their meals, the precident for meals is in the Primal Blueprint and many, many other primal/paleo cookbooks and blogs. What to eat? Real food that can be eaten cooked or raw - If you can kill it, pick it or dig it you can eat it.
    Oh, this is truly moronic. I don't need you dogmatic propaganda. Preach to those who promote "humans as a garbage can for veggies" or "humans as a garbage can for animals" not me.

  7. #27
    SarahW's Avatar
    SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    If you watched the video and knew more about what you were talking about you would know that lime juice and fruit did not in fact cure or prevent scurvy. When the Brits set out on these explorations they were well stocked with cases upon cases of lime juice and marmalades from fruits. The lime juice was drank daily. They also brought grains for porridge with them. Almost every single one of them died of scurvy. Steffanson and his men ate all meat during the exedepition and never even had a case of scurvy. He actually very effectively cured scurvy on the all meat diet. A few of his men brought some marmalade with them on the journey for a treat, within days scurvy appeared. They had to stop the expedition for a few weeks, set up camp, and begin hunting for the sick men to cure their scurvy with the all meat diet. Lime juice does not prevent or cure scurvy.
    I think I read somewhere recently that sauerkraut was a more effective cure for scurvy, with the added bonus that the barrels would get better with time on a rocking boat. Nourishing Traditions, maybe? (I've read a lot of books recently, sorry).

    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc
    Blane organized a scurvy experiment aboard the HMS Suffolk on a twenty-three week trip to India.[439] During the trip, the ship would make no landings, so scurvy would normally certainly occur.[440] During the trip, sailors were given a mixture of rum, water, sugar, and lemon juice.[441] However, during the trip, a few sailors developed slight cases of scurvy.[442] The sailors were given additional rations of lemon juice and the scurvy was quickly cured.[443] With the results from the HMS Suffolk and the power of his position, Blane was able to insure that fresh citrus juice became a necessary stable in the British Navy, finally conquering this prolific killer.[444]
    Incidentally, if the rum was truly raw, I think that mixture would ferment over time as well.

    So, yeah, can we please argue about fermented fruits and vegetables next? Thank you.

  8. #28
    BennettC's Avatar
    BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beaufot, SC
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    I beg to differ. Here is an excerpt from a Harvard study that you may find interesting.


    A Timeline of Scurvy

    The British Navy finally adopted citrus juice as its primary antiscorbutic agent in 1795.[436] The change occurred under the direction of Sir Gilbert Blane, who was appointed Physician to the Fleet.[437] Blane was familiar with the findings of Lind and he had the power and initiative to affect a change to citrus juice.[438] Blane organized a scurvy experiment aboard the HMS Suffolk on a twenty-three week trip to India.[439] During the trip, the ship would make no landings, so scurvy would normally certainly occur.[440] During the trip, sailors were given a mixture of rum, water, sugar, and lemon juice.[441] However, during the trip, a few sailors developed slight cases of scurvy.[442] The sailors were given additional rations of lemon juice and the scurvy was quickly cured.[443] With the results from the HMS Suffolk and the power of his position, Blane was able to insure that fresh citrus juice became a necessary stable in the British Navy, finally conquering this prolific killer.[444]

    It is interesting to note that the British search and eventual discovery of a scurvy cure has led to the modern day term “Limeys.”[445] American sailors began referring to British sailors as “lime-juicers” as a derogatory term in the 1850’s.[446] Later, Americans began using the term to refer to all British and it was shortened to “Limeys.” Today, the British have taken the term on for themselves and use it as a term of affection.[447] The fact that the people of an entire nation are known by a term derived from the cure for scurvy can only emphasize the great importance that the discovery of the cure for scurvy.
    Interesting, I would be curious to know if any grains were consumed? Perhaps this was the main source of huge scurvy outbreaks among the Brits as I've read citrus will help but is not nearly as effective as the all meat diet. It's also a theory that the freshness of the citrus is crucial. Information from the government can always be contradicting as well. It's hard for me to trust anything they tell us nowadays. Which is sad to say as I'm a first time voter this year.
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

  9. #29
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,368
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    oh, this is truly moronic. I don't need you dogmatic propaganda. Preach to those who promote "humans as a garbage can for veggies" or "humans as a garbage can for animals" not me.
    lmfao - other than trolling why are you here again?
    Last edited by Dirlot; 09-23-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  10. #30
    BennettC's Avatar
    BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beaufot, SC
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    lmfao - other than trolling why are you here again?
    yeah we'd love to hear that one
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •