Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there really a nutritional need for fruits and vegetables? page 2

Primal Fuel
    Yes, you can 'survive' without fruit and plant foods. But you'd be have to be eating things like raw animal brains and other icky off cuts. You can also survive without meat, clean drinking water and clothing . It would be an extremely sub-optimal extreme survival diet that no logical person would willingly undertake long term. You would be cutting yourself short on hundreds of different polyphenols, antioxidants, flavonoids and other disease fighting nutrients of plant foods that are being discovered by the day. That guy in the video is a complete quack.
    "99% of the food eaten by paleolithic man was meat".
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 09-23-2012 at 04:10 AM.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Yes, you can 'survive' without fruit and plant foods. But you'd be have to be eating things like raw animal brains and other icky off cuts. You can also survive without meat, clean drinking water and clothing . It would be an extremely sub-optimal extreme survival diet that no logical person would willingly undertake long term. You would be cutting yourself short on hundreds of different polyphenols, antioxidants, flavonoids and other disease fighting nutrients of plant foods that are being discovered by the day. That guy in the video is a complete quack.
    I would agree. I didn't watch the video and I am not that interested. I would add one more argument - the fact that animal "stuff" has some nutrients in excess (phosphorus?) and when one limits one's diet to animals this excess can become ... oh well ... excessive, without any balancing "stuff."
    Frankly, I couldn't care less about cavemen. I am not a painter and I don't have to live in a cave.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    Frankly, I couldn't care less about cavemen. I am not a painter and I don't have to live in a cave.
    I've seen you repeatedly mention this, and I'm on the fence about whether you:
    1) are just trolling with the hopes that this kind of statement will get someone all riled up
    2) are interpreting things a little too literally.

No one ever claimed you should be living in a cave, and the debates about 'what would Grok have done' in my opinion are really trying to get at the root of what humans evolved to eat and do in order to cure or prevent diseases and disorders that have developed as a result of eating and doing things that we're not designed for. It's not meant to be applied literally, you do know this, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I've seen you repeatedly mention this, and I'm on the fence about whether you:
    1) are just trolling with the hopes that this kind of statement will get someone all riled up
    2) are interpreting things a little too literally.

No one ever claimed you should be living in a cave, and the debates about 'what would Grok have done' in my opinion are really trying to get at the root of what humans evolved to eat and do in order to cure or prevent diseases and disorders that have developed as a result of eating and doing things that we're not designed for. It's not meant to be applied literally, you do know this, right?
    But you know I wasn't entirely serious, right? Sorry, but I can assure you that this "I am not a painter" (true) just came to mind some 5 minutes ago, so it's highly improbable that I "repeatedly mention it."
    So you don't have a problem with some retarded recommendations to have a wonderful diet of 99% animal "stuff" but order me to "march, march, march."
    Take your "march, march, march" somewhere else.
    Last edited by anna5; 09-23-2012 at 05:45 AM.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Quack? he has a triple PHD in exercise physiology, biochemist, and nutrition. What do you have?
    And as for have to eat all raw organs meat, ect. They all seem to be doing pretty well over at the zeroinginonhealth forum. Hell Charles is a marathon runner and he doesn't eat any organ meats and eats most of his steak med-well. In "The Fat of the Land," Stefansson notes most organ meats were usually fed to the dogs, but most groups relished the liver.
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

I would agree. I didn't watch the video and I am not that interested. I would add one more argument - the fact that animal "stuff" has some nutrients in excess (phosphorus?) and when one limits one's diet to animals this excess can become ... oh well ... excessive, without any balancing "stuff."
    If you couldn't care less about cavemen, why are you eating primal. The idea of primal is turn on those caveman genes that are in us. I recently watched a long interview with Mark Sisson and Dr. Joseph Mercola, Marks states what I just said before and that the bulk of the diet was meat, fish, fowl, and eggs with minimal plant matter. There is obviously no need for a "balanced" diet if these people thrived on meat forever and ever and ever. You think they went out and looked for kale to accompany the whole bison, nets full of fish, caribou, ect. that they killed? Hell no!
    Before and after pics
    Primal Sucess Story
    Primal Journal

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    The Royal Navy, in the days of sail, was rampant with scurvy. Their diet was pretty crappy, lots of salted pork and hard biscuits, very little fruit and veg, since it was hard to preserve those things in those days. They discovered that citrus fruit helped cure the scurvy, which is why Brits are called "limeys" from the lime they ate for the vitamin C. Now I realize that most folks don't llive on salted pork and hard tack, but the point I was attempting to make is that fruits do have a place in our diet. They do contain vitamins in larger quantities that some of the vegetables that make up the Primal BAS.
    So, to answer the question "Do fruits belong" I think the answer is yes... but it would be up to the individual to determine how big a place they take in their personal Primal food pyramid.... just a thought from a Primal newbie...

Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    If you couldn't care less about cavemen, why are you eating primal. The idea of primal is turn on those caveman genes that are in us. I recently watched a long interview with Mark Sisson and Dr. Joseph Mercola, Marks states what I just said before and that the bulk of the diet was meat, fish, fowl, and eggs with minimal plant matter. There is obviously no need for a "balanced" diet if these people thrived on meat forever and ever and ever. You think they went out and looked for kale to accompany the whole bison, nets full of fish, caribou, ect. that they killed? Hell no!
    Several things. I am not primal. I am a relatively speaking low carb omnivore. If cavemen weren't omnivores, it's their problem. And you know they didn't grab some wild cucumber to accompany the whole bison ... ... how?

I have the following question:
    Are you, people, crazy? One guy brags about dropping (by using blenders, juicers, graters, pushers) all the vegetables of the world into his what seem to be an innocent stomach. The same day, another guy brags about dropping all the wild animals into his what seem to be an innocent stomach. Share your meals, morons.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Several things. I am not primal. I am a relatively speaking low carb omnivore. If cavemen weren't omnivores, it's their problem. And you know they didn't grab some wild cucumber to accompany the whole bison ... ... how?
    I mean think about this logically, they have a whole animal in front of them to prepare for cooking, all the meat and fat they want and will have to dry leftover to make pemmican or jerky ect. would you waste your time and energy to go look for a wild cucumber. And if you aren't primal, why are you wasting your time on this forum?
    Last edited by BennettC; 09-23-2012 at 06:55 AM.
    Before and after pics
    Primal Sucess Story
    Primal Journal

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast