Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal clashing with relationship! page 2

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Man, I can't even get a girlfriend if I eat nothing but tacos with her.

Anyway, pretty much every restaurant has a plain steak. Ask 'em to fry it in butter
    Billie trips balls

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    you go to bed as soon as it's dark, you only want to go eat sushi

yep, i'd be annoyed too
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    Hey gang, I wonder if anyone has experienced anything like this, I just started dating this girl about two months into my primal journey, everything was going fine, but I really stepped it up now with nutrition and sleep, I won't eat at most restaurants, so whenever I suggest sushi or a place I know I can get a good salad she gets bothered by not going anywhere new, and I have also been going to bed an hour after the sun goes down, she gets mad I don't want to go out on the weekends because i'd rather wake up early and workout, AND on top of that she gets mad, and moody, and thinks I'm trying to show her up by ordering salads when we eat! I just like going to bed early! anyone?!
    Time to say good bye and good luck
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you got religion with Primal, so you have choices to make: either find some way to take her out to places she would like while you stay as Primal as possible (her part would be not to harp on your dinner) and/or try totally new-to-both-of-you eateries (if she is that special to you) or just go with the Primal revival and let her know you chose Mark over her. You aren't married to her (if you were this thread would be answered differently), and from what I get from your OP, you both have a lot invested in having it your way, which won't work much longer.

Just one little, weensy bit of advice: in your zeal to do it all perfectly, don't place a Plan (even the Primal) over maintaining good relationships. Most (good) relationships can stand a diet change and/or some new exercise thing, but for that to happen, both parties need to be flexible - read: willing to search for the solution most acceptable to both. If either one of you won't participate in finding the third way, find a Primal or Paleo gal who can appreciate the path you are on.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Tell her straight up she can deal with your habits or GTFO.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Yelp.com and urbanspoon.com -- do your research ahead of time for restaurants in your area. Unless you find someone who is completely cool with limited restaurants and your sleeping schedule, you're going to have to find a way bend a little. Of course she should also compromise just as often. But I can see her argument; you seem to have a rigid lifestyle compared to others. Make a list of all the restaurants in your area and actually find something to enjoy about them. The biggest problem I see is that you two don't have enough other things in common, or if you do, you're letting petty things dominate. Don't let them if that's the case. Cooking for her and shopping for the ingredients together would be a good idea, too, I think.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    Hey gang, I wonder if anyone has experienced anything like this, I just started dating this girl about two months into my primal journey, everything was going fine, but I really stepped it up now with nutrition and sleep, I won't eat at most restaurants, so whenever I suggest sushi or a place I know I can get a good salad she gets bothered by not going anywhere new, and I have also been going to bed an hour after the sun goes down, she gets mad I don't want to go out on the weekends because i'd rather wake up early and workout, AND on top of that she gets mad, and moody, and thinks I'm trying to show her up by ordering salads when we eat! I just like going to bed early! anyone?!
    I am probably offering different advice, but I have been where this girlfriend might be with you. She isn't feeling attended to or important, perhaps? You are in the beginning of your relationship and it is a time where everything is dumped for that person and the world revolves around them. She isn't getting what she wants and she is getting jealous. Just a guess.

I have a 25 yr relationship (18 married) with a guy who, for emotional retardation reasons and for legitimate reasons (medical school/training) put other things before me or our relationship. I did the majority of the work while he went off and did wonderful things. I was so in love that I ignored the bad feelings. It sounds like she might not be willing to ignore.

Do you talk about Primal all of the time? Be honest.

Can't you go to a restaurant and get a burger without the bun, a steak and a side salad? Unless she is a junk food girl, most restaurants will offer food both of you can enjoy. Can't you go work out a few days a week in the early morning and not every day? Go out a weekend of two a month late at night with her?

Honestly, you are not in a serious relationship so why stress out about it and just move on. IF you really care about this girl and want to continue dating, then make some compromises along with her. IF you want someone who lives your primal lifestyle or at least a lifestyle that meshes more with yours, then move on.

She isn't a bad person. She isn't selfish or inflexible. She just some things that you aren't providing. Not everyone is a great match.

Good luck to you! Invite her into your primal life if you haven't. See if she is interested and BE FLEXIBLE. However, not liking sushi is a red flag.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    you go to bed as soon as it's dark, you only want to go eat sushi

yep, i'd be annoyed too
    Try eating sushi in bed with HER during the day and see what happens.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    ^stellar idea right there
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    she gets offended if you order a salad!? Tell her to eat her own damn food and stop eying yours. Is she one of those girls that says "do you want the rest of my steak" or whatever she still has left on her plate?
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast