Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HIT, HIIT...or HIIRT page

canuck416 is offline Senior Member

HIT, HIIT...or HIIRT

Shop Now
    In order to maximize fat loss, we must elevate growth hormone secretion, minimize insulin spikes, improve muscle insulin sensitivity, and keep cortisol under control. This is best achieved by keeping training sessions brief, brutal, basic and intermittent.

Which of these approaches are you using HIT, HIIT...or HIIRT and why? My fat loss really kicked into gear when I started doing HIIRT.

Here's a great article describing each -

HIT, HIIT…or HIIRT? | Ancestral Momentum

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i guess i've done, and still do all three to some extent. i've been adjusting to a new job and city, so i keep my workouts short by just doing simplefit (plus walks with occasional runs/sprints). day 3 of simple fit is easily HIT according to that article: x amount of pullup, pushup and squat reps in as short a time as possible, aiming for the 5 minute mark. i actually do two rounds of that, with the second one untimed but still fast.
    day 1 is probably HIIT or HIIRT. i do a set number of reps per exercise, every minute, for thirty minutes (power half hour). it's supposed to be as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes, but i prefer the interval aspect of how i changed it. because these are resistance moves, i guess that qualifies as HIIRT, and HIIT would be my sprint workouts.

in terms of the best fat loss, i've got to give it to one of the interval methods. i spent the whole month of july doing HIIRT with calisthenics, and got the leanest i think i've ever been... almost daily metcon workouts were tough though. i think it's the short rest periods that allow you to continue to push hard in the next burst.

deadliftdan is offline Junior Member
    I have been doing HIIRT though this post is the first time I've seen the term spelled out more specifically than the HIT or Metcon I have been calling. I structure my routine around 5 minutes of cardio warm up, hit of the four big lifts really hard (i.e. deadlift, squat, press or bench press), and then turn to some superset assistant work -- rows paired with tricep pressdowns, for example.

After that, I wrap up my workout with the HIIRT. 5 to 7 exercises back-to-back for 2 or 3 sets. Usually the circuit includes at least one minute on a piece of cardio equipment or box jumps.

I have not been including the one minute of rest between exercises but will try that. Should give me extra energy to push harder on each exercise.

I usually do this three times per week. Great results.
    April 2012, SW 330 / CW 266 / GW Able to do 10 pull ups
    Personal best lifts: Squat - 315, Deadlift - 435, Bench - 275, Press - 165 Strong enough? Not yet!

Father of 3 young boys who has gone Paleo to kick a 40-year addiction to carbs. An aspiring powerlifter who wants to be the strongest (and now fittest) dad on the playground.

Thanks for the feed back primalbob and deadliftdan. Its always interesting to get another perspective. Currently I am into some serious sprint intervals at the track a couple of days a week along with a bi-weekly body weight HIT which includes a one mile run to the park, 15 pullups, 40 pushups, 30 situps and 30 squats cycled 4 times then a 1 mile run back home. I like to periodize and change up every couple of months. Next period will include some HIIRT at the gym with weights.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    I am currently doing Mike Mentzer's Ideal Routine from his book High Intensity Training the Mike Mentzer Way on Monday and Friday and I run hill sprints on Wednesday. Every bit of exercise I do is high intensity, short and infrequent.

Quote Originally Posted by ecole66 View Post
    I am currently doing Mike Mentzer's Ideal Routine from his book High Intensity Training the Mike Mentzer Way on Monday and Friday and I run hill sprints on Wednesday. Every bit of exercise I do is high intensity, short and infrequent.
    Interesting, I will look into Mike's book. Thanks

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Interesting, I will look into Mike's book. Thanks
    Check out HELP - Boise Experiment. They did a great job (except for diet IMO) of documenting Mikes Ideal Routine.

Quote Originally Posted by ecole66 View Post
    Check out HELP - Boise Experiment. They did a great job (except for diet IMO) of documenting Mikes Ideal Routine.
    Will do...Thanks!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Which of these approaches are you using HIT, HIIT...or HIIRT and why? My fat loss really kicked into gear when I started doing HIIRT.
    I do two lots of HIT rowing on a Concept 2 per week and one session of Body by Science strength training. Total hard work is about 10 minutes a week. This suits me as I am a lazy b@st@rd. My resting pulse has gone from about 60 in early March to just over 40 beats per minute week before last. I've lost 44lbs in that time, mainly through eating less calories with virtually no grains and more fat/meat/eggs.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I do two lots of HIT rowing on a Concept 2 per week and one session of Body by Science strength training. Total hard work is about 10 minutes a week. This suits me as I am a lazy b@st@rd. My resting pulse has gone from about 60 in early March to just over 40 beats per minute week before last. I've lost 44lbs in that time, mainly through eating less calories with virtually no grains and more fat/meat/eggs.
    Wow, those are some great results! A resting heart rate of 40 is seriously good - Olympic athlete range, the fact that you started at 60 which is also very good and moved to 40 means that either you have great genetics or there might be an issue with your heart. Any way congratulations on your progress but if you are feeling light headed and overly tired get to a doctor and have them run an electrocardiogram assessment.
    Last edited by canuck416; 09-24-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast