Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF in the AM vs the PM page

Heth is offline Member

IF in the AM vs the PM

Shop Now
    It seems that just about everyone posting about IF skips breakfast and eats in the afternoon/evening. However, I have naturally fallen into the pattern of eating breakfast and lunch, but skipping dinner. I only ever skip breakfast if I do eat dinner (usually only 1-2 times a week). I honestly don't understand much about the science behind IF but I just like doing it because it feels good, it gives me time to focus on other things and I can go without meals when I'm working/shopping/whatever. I haven't read any Lean Gains material but I think that advocates PM fasting so there must be science/reasoning behind it.

Another thing I have noticed is that people often say that they have a coffee (with cream or coconut milk) outside their "eating window". Is it still considered beneficial to not have any solid food but have maybe 100-300 calories from a coffee? I guess at this stage I have no reason to try to change my PM fasting, but if there was reason to do so I could probably make the change. I don't think I could skip my coffee and tea with coconut milk in the morning though!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Betorq recently posted an article that discussed different styles/timings of Intermittent Fasting that probably has a lot of the info you're looking for. Check it out:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66066.html

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about others, but I can't sleep when I'm hungry. I can easily "IF" in the morning though. In the future, I plan to try doing it for a whole day, once per week.

I agree with you, I don't understand the exact science behind it, but it makes me feel good.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I don't deliberately IF, but for many years, my main meal of the day has been breakfast. I probably eat 70% of my daily food at breakfast. I eat a little more later in the day, but I rarely eat after 3 pm. I'm not hungry at bedtime, and this pattern seems to 'fit' with my circadian rhythms, as I'm generally a 'morning person.'

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Bulletproof coffee, with butter and a little coconut oil, is NOT fasting, no matter what people say. We're fat-burners, BP is 300 calories of fat, liquid or no. It's a small meal, not an IF, DUH.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Yes, OP, most folk doing IF skip breakfast or lunch. However, if skipping dinner works for you then go for it.

On the occasions when I eat a small dinner it doesn't appear to do me any harm.

I agree with oxide - a fast is a fast which means no milk or sugar in your coffee, let along butter or coconut milk. A fast means negligible calories.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have done it skipping lunch and dinner. Seems fine to me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Its more a function of time between eating....I prefer skipping breakfast since I'm never hungry in the AM anyhow. See no problem with the other way round though. The fat thing at least is recognized as not spiking insulin...and low insulin diets are associated with longevity, improved immune system, and better health.....I would expect you miss out on some of the benefits of fasting, but not all. Either way though on the AM ...PM thing...only real importance is the time frame witch is why I like skipping breakfast or dinner in a 16 hour fashion but not so much lunch. i do a 24 hour a couple times a week.

Heth is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Betorq recently posted an article that discussed different styles/timings of Intermittent Fasting that probably has a lot of the info you're looking for. Check it out:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66066.html
    Thank you, that was very interesting. The one meal a day in the evening approach does appeal to me, but I would have a lot of trouble giving up the coconut milk in my coffee and tea in the morning, it is a big pleasure for me.
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heth View Post
    Thank you, that was very interesting. The one meal a day in the evening approach does appeal to me, but I would have a lot of trouble giving up the coconut milk in my coffee and tea in the morning, it is a big pleasure for me.
    Another thing of interest for you then

Intermittent Fasting - A Primer (Part 1) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27894.html Intermittent Fasting - A Primer (Part 2) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread28459.html Intermittent Fasting - A Primer (Part 3) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29011.html

Some great info throughout. Like I said I do a couple 24s/week and a few 16s. I try to mix it up. Did the 24/day approach and it was OK. Just became too difficult to eat all that with two screaming kids and my wife at work after a while. Lunch is SOOOO much more relaxing meal for me right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast