Thread: Newbie here page

pattyb is offline Junior Member

Newbie here

Primal Fuel
    I am on an adventure to get my health in order. I first got introduced to paleo or hunter/gather via Terry Wahls web page and her book Minding my mitochondria. I hope I am saying this right. I kept trying to get into the greens things but just couldn't get it off the ground and ended up throwing a lot away. I started making my own smoothies and fortunately used a lot of greens in that so I wasn't quite so wasteful. I still couldn't really get the whole thing off the ground. Then I read Eat to Live by Dr Fuhrman and got really into that. I did his 6 week challenge for 4 or 5 weeks, I did lose some weight which I have still kept off but I was so hungry all the time. I don't mean hungry, I mean HUNGRY!!!!! They say that this toxic hunger, shows that you are detoxing etc. I don't know, I just don't think that you should be famished all the time. All of the beans didn't seem really neat either. As a home health Physical Therapist, all of that gas is not so good. I wrote on one of the forums that for me, it was harder to stay on the diet than it had been to quit smoking and I was a heavy smoker and working 8 hour shifts as a cocktail waitress when I quite. Someone else wrote in and agreed with my assessment. So then I came across the primal blueprint and here I am back at Hunter/gather. I must say, that I have some reservations. It is so contrary to all the popular hype. I do like the idea that we are getting back to our original diet. As a cat breeder, I often see this idea promoted for our animals. I have also been reading about the Inuits and how it is that their all meat and fat diet has been healthier than what we normally eat. Now I am really understanding the importance of grass fed animals.
    So now I am doing a much better job of getting the veggies in. I am able to feel comfortable and not super hungry all the time. I am reading and reading as I do want to be comfortable with what I am doing. I do not feel that I have time to play with this. I am 63 and while my blood pressure and cholesterol are always good, I have already played the cancer game once and I do not want to do that again. I am also at an age where seemingly healthy people all of a sudden keel over with a heart attack or stroke. This is not where I want to go.
    I am curious about the food suppliers. Where do people feel really comfortable getting their meat snacks such as jerky and etc from? I buy most of my meat at Whole Foods but I would really like to find a private party to buy meat from here in the Houston area. Anyway, sorry this post is so long and I look forward to getting to know people.
    Thanks
    Patty

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Hullo, and hope you're well.

Quote Originally Posted by pattyb View Post
    I did his 6 week challenge for 4 or 5 weeks, I did lose some weight which I have still kept off but I was so hungry all the time. I don't mean hungry, I mean HUNGRY!!!!! They say that this toxic hunger, shows that you are detoxing etc. I don't know, I just don't think that you should be famished all the time.
    Sounds like a lot of voodoo to me. Do they also believe the moon is made of green cheese? If you felt hungry, I suggest you were hungry.

It's not really important whether you lose weight as such. The point is to lose fat and not muscle. On this diet people tend to lose fat (but not muscle) and never feel hungry. That might not be universal, but it's a fairly commonly reported. Best to get a good handle on exactly how it's supposed to be implemented.

I suggest to have a look through the Primal 101 guide:

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

I am able to feel comfortable and not super hungry all the time.
    Already working for you, then. Great!

I am reading and reading as I do want to be comfortable with what I am doing. I do not feel that I have time to play with this. I am 63 and while my blood pressure and cholesterol are always good, I have already played the cancer game once and I do not want to do that again.
    You'll probably want to see what cancer researchers are saying here then -- basically that sugar feeds cancers:

Suddenly last summer. The triumph of carbohydrate restriction. Richard David Feinman

The other thing that there's a big interest in in this community is sleep -- long and in proper darkness. See what the Caveman Doctor, who is an oncologist himself, says on this topic:

Sleeping Away Cancer - Caveman Doctor

If these are your concerns as well as weight, then you've come to the right place.

I am curious about the food suppliers. Where do people feel really comfortable getting their meat snacks such as jerky and etc from? I buy most of my meat at Whole Foods but I would really like to find a private party to buy meat from here in the Houston area. Anyway, sorry this post is so long and I look forward to getting to know people.
    Thanks
    Patty
    Sorry, I don't know Houston, and I'm not U.S.-based. I believe a lot of people in the U.S. use U.S. Wellness meats. There's also some guy selling dried meat sticks that are from grass-fed animals and additive-free that advertises on Jimmy Moore's show. He's trading under the name Nick's Sticks.

More locally you could try here:

Eat Wild - Find Your State

Or trying googling under "paleo houston". I tried that and found this site:

paleo | Real Food Houston

Maybe you can find some information there. Or perhaps start a thread on the "Nutrition" board entitled something like "Meat Sources in Houston".

pattyb is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Hullo, and hope you're well.

Sounds like a lot of voodoo to me. Do they also believe the moon is made of green cheese? If you felt hungry, I suggest you were hungry.

It's not really important whether you lose weight as such. The point is to lose fat and not muscle. On this diet people tend to lose fat (but not muscle) and never feel hungry. That might not be universal, but it's a fairly commonly reported. Best to get a good handle on exactly how it's supposed to be implemented.

I suggest to have a look through the Primal 101 guide:

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

Already working for you, then. Great!

You'll probably want to see what cancer researchers are saying here then -- basically that sugar feeds cancers:

Suddenly last summer. The triumph of carbohydrate restriction. Richard David Feinman

The other thing that there's a big interest in in this community is sleep -- long and in proper darkness. See what the Caveman Doctor, who is an oncologist himself, says on this topic:

Sleeping Away Cancer - Caveman Doctor

If these are your concerns as well as weight, then you've come to the right place.

Sorry, I don't know Houston, and I'm not U.S.-based. I believe a lot of people in the U.S. use U.S. Wellness meats. There's also some guy selling dried meat sticks that are from grass-fed animals and additive-free that advertises on Jimmy Moore's show. He's trading under the name Nick's Sticks.

More locally you could try here:

Eat Wild - Find Your State

Or trying googling under "paleo houston". I tried that and found this site:

paleo | Real Food Houston

Maybe you can find some information there. Or perhaps start a thread on the "Nutrition" board entitled something like "Meat Sources in Houston".
    Lewis,
    I have not spent much time on computer lately. Thank you so much for your reply and sorry it took me so long to reply. I agree with everything that you say. I am definitely off sugar except for a little bit of 82% chocolate. I now understand why potatoes are so bad for me. I have been very busy reading "The Paleo Answer" which has been very enlightening. I am trying very hard to get caught up on my paper work so that I can start getting more sleep which I am not getting enough of.
    When I was doing ETL, if I didn't lose weight, it was horrible. As difficult as it was, I had to at least be losing weight. Right now, I am very content to just get fully on the diet and then take it as it comes. With my reading and looking at the research being presented, I am very comfortable with what I am doing. I am quitting vitamins except for fish oil and vit D, maybe the probiotics as well. As a cancer survivor, I had quite a scare this last week and I suddenly see how much a part of me that whole experience is. I was thinking that I might have waited too long. Now I am just glad to have the chance to get on a program that should give me a longer and healthier life. I am sure that my weight will come down. I initially gained a little weight when I started this program but am now pretty much where I was when I quite the ETL.
    Thanks again and here I go.
    Patty

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    There's also some guy selling dried meat sticks that are from grass-fed animals and additive-free that advertises on Jimmy Moore's show. He's trading under the name Nick's Sticks.
    Nick Wallace is my grass fed beef guy, and all of his meats are fantastic. The sticks are pretty good considering they're shelf stable and a lot healthier than a Slim Jim or something similar.
    I wish I liked to eat liver.