Thread: Primal Brain page

Khan is offline Junior Member

Primal Brain

Primal Fuel
    The main draw for me towards Primal Blueprint was like many, the physical aspect, I have lost over 75 pounds from my max (6'2" at 275) currently at ~198.

I have Tourrette's Syndrome and ADHD, and since eating lower carbs I have had a dramatic reduction in hyper/dazed states, and while on a day where I'm eating close to 50g of carbs max my tics as a a result of tourretes are practically nonexistant.

However I have one issue, my handwriting and thinking speed are far lower. I am wondering if anyone has any tips to get into a more "wired" state while sticking to low carbs? I used to use coffee to help speed up my focus but while eating low carbs coffee makes me feel a bit lightheaded. Are there primal friendly brain boosters/energy supplements anyone has had experience with?

I'm a college student and with strictly timed tests/deadlines I really need to be able to work faster.

Would greatly appreciate any tips!

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    You sound like an ideal candidate for the GAPS diet.

As for brain boosters... sorry I can't think of any. When I lower my carbs my mood and cognition are much more relaxed, much more focused. If you find you need carbs, some berries or an apple to keep you going can't hurt. A history of coffee can lead to adrenals that are less than optimal, maybe you need to give them time to recover. And as always get enough sleep.

Read up on the GAPS diet! Very interesting, I actually forgot to mention but as of a year and a half now I've had a severe gluten/casein sensitivity, which has really amplified my brain problems (going gluten free was kind of the catalyst for stumbling upon primal blueprint)

I'm def. going to read up on the basis behind the GAPS diet, perhaps Ill find some similarities with things that tend to trigger/make me feel better.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If the caffeine in coffee is too much for your body, you might try some other forms of it that wont make you crash like green tea (in powered matcha form) or Yerba mate?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I have some brain issues (scar tissue due to multiple concussions) as well as symptoms of ADD, and I have found that coconut oil has really helped a lot. Primal has done wonders for me, but eating just a spoonful of coconut oil in the morning and maybe another at night makes a noticeable difference. The hardest part for me is remembering to take it.

Make sure you're getting enough magnesium as well. It's key to a lot of brain functions, and most people don't get enough, especially with soil minerals being fairly well depleted.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I have some brain issues (scar tissue due to multiple concussions) as well as symptoms of ADD, and I have found that coconut oil has really helped a lot. Primal has done wonders for me, but eating just a spoonful of coconut oil in the morning and maybe another at night makes a noticeable difference. The hardest part for me is remembering to take it.

Make sure you're getting enough magnesium as well. It's key to a lot of brain functions, and most people don't get enough, especially with soil minerals being fairly well depleted.
    Hmm coconut oil, funny you say that because I remember at one point mixing coconut cream with green tea and immediately feeling very energized and warm, it felt kind of like a sugar rush, but without tics (even fruits etc I have to eat slowly because I just start getting tics if I eat too much at once).

Its very expensive to buy the oil, but coconut cream is like a dollar or two for a can and it has 7 servings ~10g of fat in each. I'll probably throw that and some decaf green tea into a thermos and see if it works for energy throughout classes.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello Khan and welcome to the forum.

I too am working through some neurological issues, in my case epilepsy. I am using a ketogenic protocol to be able to reduce my medication dosage. Down 25% so far with no ill effects. You might want to look into ketosis as an option. Coconut products, milk, cream, oil, manna, are all great for a ketogenic diet.

You might want to google Johns Hopkins and ketosis and see the research they have come up with on pediatric epilepsy, a condition that often overlaps with ADHD. When they have seen improvements in one, they often see them in both conditions.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-22-2012 at 10:11 PM.