Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on how to be a primal vegeterian? page

mcpheenom is offline Junior Member

Advice on how to be a primal vegeterian?

My girlfriend is a vegeterian and will not be changing her ways any time soon for various reasons (so please no advice on how to change her mind...I've tried and I won't be doing that again). She is however very open to the primal philosophy if it can work for her. She does eat fish and does eat eggs which is a start for sure but does anyone have any advice on whether or not attempting to be primal without the meat is advisable and how best one could go about it? Has Mark taled on the subject? I did a quick search and didn't come up with much. Thanks for any advice/links in advance.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcpheenom View Post
    My girlfriend is a vegeterian and will not be changing her ways any time soon for various reasons (so please no advice on how to change her mind...I've tried and I won't be doing that again). She is however very open to the primal philosophy if it can work for her. She does eat fish and does eat eggs which is a start for sure but does anyone have any advice on whether or not attempting to be primal without the meat is advisable and how best one could go about it? Has Mark taled on the subject? I did a quick search and didn't come up with much. Thanks for any advice/links in advance.
    Personally, I think absolutely she can go Primal. Just have her do all of the other stuff (grains out, increase fat) and increase her intake of wild caught fish and a lot of eggs. Salmon is great. Or small, predator fish like sardines.

I could be waaaay wrong. But my understanding of what it means to be primal is about not eating the processed, sugary foods with a shelf life and increasing your fat intake, not so much being picky-picky about which animal source your protein comes from. Eat like a cavewoman. She would just be eating like a caveman who lived near water without livestock other than her prized chicken. If she eats butter, even better!

Mark does an "Is this Primal?" article. Look at hemp hearts or chia seeds to see what he says about them. Protein in those babies! She can soak/sprout lentils to eliminate some of the anti-nutrients.

She does not need to be 100% Primal to reap benefits. There is a lot of talk about being 80/20 to allow for circumstance and plain old enjoyment. Perhaps her 20% could focus on her favorite protein containing beans/lentils, etc.

Over time she just might feel awesome! Over time she just might change her mind on trying to add more animal protein or she might not. But, being a fish eating/egg eating vegetarian she'll be just fine as long as she commits to eating this protein daily.

good luck to her and to you!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    if she eats fish shes not a vegetarian
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's fine possible and easy to do, actually.

I'm making the transition back that direction myself. I'm trying to discern what the best method would be, looking at the macros, so here I am, using fitday to figure it out.

Breakfast: 3 eggs in butter, two small/med oranges, broccoli steamed in bone broth, cup of bone broth.
    dinner: 200 g fish, pan cooked in butter, big salad of lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, fennel bulb with 2 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper.
    snack (either before or after dinner): 25 g dark chocolate.

Outcomes on fitday:

Total calories: 1513

Fat: 91.6g
    Carbs: 94.8g
    Protein: 92g

Daily Percentages: 53% fat, 24% protein, 23% carbs.

That hits right in the PB numbers.
    Last edited by zoebird; 09-21-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: numbers off

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    definitely possible if she eats fish, eggs and dairy. primal eating is really more about avoiding the bad foods than it is eating certain ones. the possibilities go on for a while.

you'll have to look it up, but mark has put up some info on this. just search for vegetarian on his front page, and try a search for "carrie" his wife. she does a sort of veggie primal thing with fish.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Eggs. Sneak bacon in as well. Gateway meat for harder carnivorous pursuits.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I don't bacon anymore, even though i did about 1-2 times a week for the first nearly 2 years of primal. I stopped eating pork in general, honestly.

I'm focused more on venison, lamb, and beef, as well as fish. I am considering moving toward a "pescitarian" version of primal.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcpheenom View Post
    My girlfriend is a vegeterian and will not be changing her ways any time soon for various reasons (so please no advice on how to change her mind...I've tried and I won't be doing that again).
    But, please, lecture her about removing unfermented soy from her diet.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I don't bacon anymore...
    You are DEAD to me bitch!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Seriously, being a pescatarian is a valid Primal strategy. Hell, my own primal way includes several photogenic sea mammals right next to the sweet potatoe & salad.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast