Page 9 of 503 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind... page 9

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Tuesday:

Normally a rest day, but I had to get the leg raises from yesterday done. I also had some grocery shopping to do. Got the Knee Tucks done after the Walmart excursion. Did 3 sets of 25, 25 and 20 reps. An improvement from last week.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt w/ strawberry preserves

L: BAS w/ shredded cheese blend and smoked brisket

D: pan fried some cube steak that I seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic. Cooked in bacon fat.

As an "experiment" I tried out the hot cocoa recipe in the PB cookbook.... well, not EXACTLY, but I did follow most of the recipe. I used cocoa powder, a can of cocnut milk, a splash of heavy cream, a tsp of vanilla extract and a pkt of Equal and Sweet-n-Low. I opened the coconut milk and noticed all the fat at the top of the can... OK.. not a problem and put it in a saucepan and heated it up. I put the cocoa powder in the cup ( a big heaping spoonful) and a little bit of the milk to make a slurry with the powder. I finished heating the coconut milk, poured it in the cup, added the vanilla, mixed and sipped. Hmm, not bad but not reall creamy, so i added a splash of heavy cream and tasted it again... ahhh, much better! So I enjoyed the whole cup. Then curiosity got the better of me and I went to look at the calorie content.... I got as far as the cocnut milk. the label said there was 93 calories per serving... but there a 7 servings in a can.... I used the whole can. Not counting the cocoa and the heavy cream, the drink had almost 700 calories! It was a tasty experiment, but not one I will repeat very often!

Wednesday:

Today was a long run day. finished the same 5 mile course I jogged on Thanksgiving Day. Windy and cold at the start, and windy at the end, I guess I warmed up during the run.

Diet:

B: fasted.... wasn't very hungry

L: BAS w/ sliced brisket

D: fasted... feel full.. literally!

Thursday:

A rest day. Some time was spent today "fixing" issues from the loss of a wallet. No, not mine. So, phone time with Customer No-Service reps to be told "I can't help you because you aren't on the account" The positive part of the day came in de-boning 2 pork picnic hams and cutting them up to make sausage with.... All the trimmings got some salt, pepper and garlic and cooked. The bones are in the fridge. I may use them for a bone broth. The skins are in the freezer to be used for making lard and pork rinds..

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup greek yogurt

D: pork picnic trimmings.... oh the fatty goodness.... I DO LOVE me some pig!

Friday:

A squat and row day. Completed 3 sets of horizontal pulls at 20, 16, 15 reps per set. Better than last week. Completed 3 sets of 50 reps of Supported squats. That meets the progression standard, so next week it's 1/2 squats.
    Spent a good bit of the afternoon working on making sausage. Made 13 lb of breakfast sausage, all headed to the freezer. Bacon should be finished curing Monday.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup honey flavored greek yogurt

D: too freakin tired to eat.
    Last edited by ssn679doc; 12-03-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Saturday:

A rest day. Legs aren't too tired from yesterday's squats, which is a good thing. Spent most of the day cooking a 1/2 bushel of apples and turning them in to apple butter to be canned. Also cooked up a batch of cranberry chutney with raisins, apple, pears, whole fresh cranberries, golden raisins, cinnamon, nnutmeg. Goes great with chicken/turkey and is a huge improvement over commercial cranberry sauce... IMHO..

Diet:

B: 1/2 yogurt w/ strawberry preserves

11-sies: scrambled eggs and sausage

D: BAS, chicken cordon-bleu, cranberry chutney
    Last edited by ssn679doc; 12-02-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Sunday:

A run day. Ran 3 miles at a slow pace with 30 second intervals every 2 minutes. Put in a time about 45 seconds slower than my timed run last weekend. Got waaay to hot today. Temp was in the 60's, and the long running tights and long sleeved shirt weren't what the doctor ordered today.

Finished canning the apple butter. Put up 13 pints. Then worked on some frozen blackberries from the garden this year. Got 5 pints of that. Love home made preserves. Ran the blackberries through the food mill, so there are no seeds in the jam. Good stuff! Added about 1/2 the recommended sugar and doubled the pectin. Set up nicely.

Spent some time outside tilling up some of the garden beds and disking a section of next years garden that a neighbor plowed for me a couple of weeks ago. It's a good thing I was outside. I cae in the house to the smells of Christmas baking.... Banana bread, pumpkin bread, butternut squash bread, biscotti.... almost too much temptation for me to bear.....

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogert w/ applesauce

L: BAS

D: fasted, was sleeping

Monday:

Push up and leg raises today. Completed 3 sets of 50 reps of incline push ups. 2nd week at that level. Progressing to Kneeling push-ups next Monday. Completed 3 sets at 30, 30 and 20 reps of knee tucks. Up from last week.... getting closer to my progression point...

Spent a good bit of time today soaking bacon to reove excess salt. 2 hour bath, then 2 days back in the fridge to "equalize" then off to the smoker.

Started a pot of bone broth with the leg bones from the pork picnic hams. Cracked the bones with a hammer, roasted for @ 45 min at 450. In to the pot with some celery onions and carrots. Added a touch of vinegar. Simmered for @2-3 hours. Will heat it back up again today. May have to reduce it down to intensify the flavor.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt w/ a tablespoon of apple butter..... damned yummy

L: BAS, ham steaks

D: breaded pork chop

Did I mention I like me some pig???? lol

Wt.: 235 lb Total wt loss: 45 lb since July 2012
    Last edited by ssn679doc; 12-04-2012 at 03:58 AM.

Tuesday:

Today was a rest day, so i did farm stuff. Fixed a window in a chicken house, shoveled out 3 houses and put straw bedding back in its place. The girls are happily scratching through the straw looking for seeds etc.

Set up the crock pot with some beef short ribs, parsnips, carrots, onion and mushrooms..... let it cook all day. The bone broth from yesterday is heating back up and simmering. The house smells great...

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt w/ pumpkin butter

L: BAS w/ the last of the brisket

D: Got done with chores a little too late to eat.

Wednesday:

Today was a run day. Legs felt tired, so I gaffed it off. I don't think that missing one day will hurt. Everything I have read suggests that missing training days can boost performance in the long run. No guilt for not running today, just anticipatio of faster runs or longer runs in the future.

I read The Naked Warrior today by Pavel Tsatsouline. Interesting book. Will be going back over it to see if I can adapt his techniques for increased strength.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt w/ 2 tsp homemade blackberry jam......

L: BAS, beef short ribs w/ parsnips and carrots

D: 2 cups of broth from the beef short ribs....

Thursday:

A rest day, but as is my usual I was busy...... Went grocery shopping for the extensive holiday baking that will be ramping up very shortly. I love baked goods... bread, cookies, biscotti, yadda yadda yadda..... and I try hard to stay away from them. I will eat some, but not gorge on them over Christmas, and feel no guilt for it. And when the holiday is over, it's right back in to my current regimen. Not to say I won't be eatting lots of protein and fats, as I will and remaining mostly primal, but I will enjoy some of my favorite treats and a beer or 12 over the holiday.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt w/ cranberry chutney. Not bad, but I shan't do that again. The chutney is suprisingly sweet, and I thought the the sweetness would counter the sour of the yogurt.... I thunk wrong. The sourness of the yogurt seemed to be enhanced by the underlying tartness of the cranberries in the chutney. It wasn't inedible, just not very enjoyable.

L: BAS, beef short ribs and stewed parsnips, carrots and 'shrooms

D: BAS, 1/2 baked chicken (it was a small bird....just over 2 lbs)

Page 9 of 503 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast