Page 8 of 585 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108508 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind... page 8

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Sunday:

This was supposed to be a run day, but my thighs are really sore from Saturday. No run. I worked in the greenhouse building a frame and a door to enclose one end. Ended up climbing a ladder (my legs LOVED that! NOT!) to put in the frame pieces that were screwed in to the end greenhouse ribs. About half way through, the battery in my drill dies and I didn't have the back-up charged.... end of the line... try again tomorrow. Should have stayed outside.... but I didn't. As fate would have it, wifey-poo was doing some of her Thanksgiving/Christmas baking. Did I mention I should have stayed outside? The house smelled so freakin yummy... and my sweet tooth got the best of me. OK, maybe the 2 beers I had decreased my inhibitions and will power significantly... Did I mention that I should have stayed outside? Anyway, she uses a small "ice-cream" scoop to portion out the cookie dough so all the cookies come out the same size. I ate 5 scoops of raw chocolate chip and pecan cookie dough... (It's paleo cuz it has eggs in it! Right??) then she had a couple of misfit cookies that didn't turn out quite right, so like a good soldier, I threw myself on the "bad cookie" grenade. Then there were the oatmeal and cranberry cookies. I only ate 2 of them, so i wasn't really all that bad. By this time, I had a sugar and beer buzz going on..... It was very fortunate for me that I had to go to bed to get ready for work, or I would have done even more damage to my liver and pancreas! Geesh... what a day. and I slept like crap too.

Monday:

Today was a push-up and a leg raise day. Incline push ups, 3 sets of 50, 50 and 40 reps respectively. Knee tucks were better today than last week. 3 sets of 20, 20 and 15 reps respectively. Some improvement, and I was feelling the exercise a little lower in the abs than before.

After my exercise, I started working on the pork bellies. I cleaned the meat lugs and lids, then pulled out the bellies from the fridge. 4 bellies in the case, with skin intact so I spent some time taking the skin off, trying not to leave any skin and not take too much fat from the belly. I saved the skin, I may render the fat for lard later... and the skin becomes pork rinds... ohh yummy! Got the bellies weighed, salt cure measured and rubbed in, bellies in the lugs and off to the fridge. They will get turned and rubbed every 2 days and will be cured in 14 days, then it's soaking time to removed the excess salt, 2 days equilibrium and then off to the smoke house. All total there was just over 43.5 lbs of bacon, and the cost will be @ $3.00 per pound when all is said and done.... gosh I LOVE bacon......

Diet:

B: bowl of home made vegetable beef soup

L: BAS with sliced grilled pork tenderloin

S: I had some trimmings from the pork bellies that I fried up..... oh yum...

Tuesday:

A rest day, as far as exercise goes. Finished the framing in the greenhouse. Now the door needs to go in. Spent some time shelling some dried beans today. Not very exciting, but it kept me busy and out of the freezer where all the baked goods are.....

Diet:

B: 2 scrambled eggs and 3 pork sausage patties

L: BAS w/ sliced grilled pork tenderloin

S: fasted.... was hungry, but decided not to eat since I got in from working outside a little to close to bedtime to eat.

Wednesday:

Spent alot of time today running errands for tomorrow. Was supposed to run, but by the time I finished my errands, I had no energy. Pulled out the brisket. I also bought a whole chicken to puy on the smoker. Tomorrow will stat very early, so off to bed early for me.

Thursday: Happy Thanksgiving!

Today started at 3AM... had to get up and get the smoker started for cooking the brisket and chicken. I put the seasonings on the brisket yesterday. Chili powder, season salt, garlic, course ground pepper, cumin, cinnamon all rubbed in to the meat and then refrigerated overnight. The chicken I brined. I pulled them out to let them come to room temp prior to cooking. Got the smoker house fire started and the cooking chamber warmed prior to putting the meat on. the bird got trussed and hung, the brisket on a grill rack. Cooking started a little after 5AM. fire tended every 1/2 hor or so until @ 11AM.
    Since the wife doesn't like smoked meat much, I grilled some chicken breast for her. She was happy.
    Cooking for the day's festivities stared on Wednesday. I skinned and diced some acorn squash, delicata squash, pumpkin and butternut squash. All going in to a roasting pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper. We also had a sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, home made crescent rolls, fresh garden salad, and for dessert we had pumpkin pie and a spiced apple bar. There was a cheese and meat tray and a veggie tray for snacking, as well as banana bread (with a paleo version too) and her biscotti.
    So, if you left the house hungry, it was your own damned fault!

Earlier in the week, I used the odometer on the car to mark out 1/2 mile increments on the long leg of my road. It's a little hillier and curvier than my normal trek. So, I now have a 4 mile "track" marked off on one end of the street and a 2 1/4 mile piece on the other end. Today I ran the long side and jogged a true 5 miles. Set a nice easy pace and finished in a little over an hour.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt with strawberry preserves

L: Brisket, smoked chicken, sweet potato casserole, roasted vegetables and iced tea... had 2nd's of the brisket and roasted veg and sweet potato...... I was as full as a tick.... and 2 hours later I added a slice of pumpkin pie and a spiced apple bar to the mix...

S: Are you kidding? I'm still stuffed!

Friday:

Wow, I got up this AM and I'm not really hungry... I wonder why?

I finished up the doors on the greenhouse today. Yeah... one more project completed... 5000 more to go! Gotta love farm life!!

Exercise today was Pulls and Squats. I worked all day and did them at teh end of the work day. Man... no motivation to do this... but I did it anyway. I did 3 sets of Horizontal pulls (15,14,13) better than last Friday. Forearms were still the limiting factor. They were much more worked than my shoulders. I also did 3 sets of Supported Squats (50,50,50). I met the progression standard, but will do this one more time before progressing. Legs feels trashed. Not sore, like last time, but very tired. I feel it when I walk and going down steps, yeah, very tired legs! Hopefully I won't be as sore as I was last week.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt w/strawberry preserves, coffee w/ heavy cream

L: chicken leg and 3/4 cup of sweet potato casserole

D: BAS, breaded prork chop and roasted vegetable leftovers

S: pumpkin pie and spiced apple bar

Saturday:

A rest day, but I spent the day doing stuff around the farmstead. Worked on the fence around the orchard. Put in the pull-up bar in the gate of the orchard fence. Nope... can't do a pull-up.... YET... but that WILL change. Spent a couple of hours cutting bevels on the end of the hoops for the garden beds. Spent alot of time kneeling on the ground doing that, so it was up and down... alot.... so more squats.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt w/ strawberry preserves, 4 slices of brisket

L: bowl of ox tail soup the daughter made..... pretty tasty. Have never eatten ox tail soup. I may have to eat it more often. It was darn good!

D: BAS, brisket, roasted vegetables

Diogenes is offline Member
    Hey Doc

I was maxing out all those supported squats not too long ago and like you, using minimal "support". I said the heck with it and just progressed to regular squats. I did feel it a little bit the first time--that support makes more of a difference than I supposed at the very bottom of the squat. But I'm glad I made the progression. I was able to progress through the squats quickly and now I am starting lunges, etc, to favor one leg. I'm still doing one high-rep set of squats for stamina, but I think at some point, all the high-rep sets of supported squats are mostly just making you tired.

Just my $0.02, and I must confess that while I started bodyweight workouts in August, I had been riding a bike all summer.

Keep up the good work!

Sunday:

It was a cold one today. All the chicken's waterers were frozen.... fortunately sunshine helps melt the ice! Had to get some parts for the orchard fence, and I checked online to see when the store opened. I showed up 1/2 hour after the advertized time, and the store wasn't open... turns out they opened an hour later than advertised.... Ya just can't be lieve everything ya read on the internet! Fortunately for me, I took the opportunity to get some of my Christmas shopping in. Now I am half way done with my shopping and it isn't even December.... By the time I got home, it was to late for my run. Guess I add that to my work out tomorrow...

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup sweet potato casserole

L: BAS, grilled chicken breast

D: sleeping... sort of

Diogenes, thanks for the $0.02. I plan to follow the progressions the way they are in CC. I was doing 1/2 squats before I started CC, but the reps were about 1/2 what I am currently doing. My legs feel considerably stronger since i started CC. Now if I can get my upper body to improve as fast as my legs have...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Monday:

Sunday was supposed to be an interval run day, but was unable to do that so I piggy-backed the run to my normal routine. Actually I front loaded it. I was planning on running 3 miles with 30 second intervals every 2 minutes, but I ran a timed trial instead. I haven't run a timed 3 miler in a while and I wanted to see where I was at on the 33 minutes goal. I finished in 34:54. Fastest time yet for a 3 mile run. I learned the importance of interval training in increasing speed from this exercise. I guess I need to keep up with the intervals! My regular workout today was pushups and leg raises. I completed 3 sets of 50 incline push ups, which meets the progression standard. I will do this one more time, just to make sure I am ready to progress. The leg raises got pushed to tomorrow. I got a call from a customer and they needed eggs badly, so I cut the workout short and delivered eggs instead.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt, a slice of brisket

L: BAS w/ smoked chicken and grilled chicken breast

D: 5 slices of brisket and collards. Fixed the collards by melting a very large spponful of bacon fat in 1 cup of chicken stock. I took the center vein out of the collards, gave them a rough chop and when the broth was simmering, I tossed the collards in to cook. Added a little bit of coarse grind pepper and ate to my hearts content. These collards are very sweet, which was surprising to me. If they are normally like this, I will definitely grow tham again next fall!

Page 8 of 585 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108508 ... LastLast