Page 60 of 448 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind... page 60

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The only exercises I have sceduled for myself are swings and a thing called a getup, which much like the name implies you start lying on the ground, pick up the kettlebell extend your arm up into the air and get up to a standing position with your arm still above your head, then lie back down (that would be 1 rep). From that description, getups would be a whole body work out...
    you could prob do a getup with a clubbell or a dumbbell as easily. kettlebell swings i found annoying and kinda ridiulous like burpees. i just used you-tube for my clubbells as i was not aware any books had been written on them. i got mine to strengthen my rotator cuff as i kept tweaking it and i had read they were good for that. i love them. kettle bells i have only found up to about 10kgs in the gyms i have been to and they are way too light for me to do that much with. i did find a 33kg kettle bell in a shop once which cost pretty close to the national debt. i could walk with a pair of them. i can lunge a pair of 26kg dumbbells. but for the money, it isnt worth it at all. i am better off piggy backing one of the kids and lunging them! i have glass cover on my house insurance so i would be sweet if i accidentally threw a kettlebell thru a window LOL

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    you could prob do a getup with a clubbell or a dumbbell as easily. kettlebell swings i found annoying and kinda ridiulous like burpees. i just used you-tube for my clubbells as i was not aware any books had been written on them. i got mine to strengthen my rotator cuff as i kept tweaking it and i had read they were good for that. i love them. kettle bells i have only found up to about 10kgs in the gyms i have been to and they are way too light for me to do that much with. i did find a 33kg kettle bell in a shop once which cost pretty close to the national debt. i could walk with a pair of them. i can lunge a pair of 26kg dumbbells. but for the money, it isnt worth it at all. i am better off piggy backing one of the kids and lunging them! i have glass cover on my house insurance so i would be sweet if i accidentally threw a kettlebell thru a window LOL
    Dragon Door Publications has a few books on clubbells, and they sell them as well. The kettlebell I bought to start with is a 20lb/9kg. Pavel says that men should start with a 16kg kettlebell.... OK I have 5 gallon waterers for my chickens, a gallon of water is @ 7lb, so that waterer weighs about the same as a 16kg kettlebell.... hauling water around in one of those kicks my tail.... I can only imagine what doing a getup with one would do to me......

dragon door books are pretty expensive if you factor in shipping as i dont do e-books. i am old school in that i struggle to read books or long articles on a computer screen. i was doing swings with the 10kg kettlebell and i am little so you will be fine swinging a 9kg one. it does get very very boring doing swings. after a while you suspect it is only good training for getting a job as a church bell ringer ( they do have a name which i cant remember ) and then your eyes glaze over and it is around about then that you end up in danger of taking out a window.

dragon door books are pretty expensive if you factor in shipping as i dont do e-books. i am old school in that i struggle to read books or long articles on a computer screen. i was doing swings with the 10kg kettlebell and i am little so you will be fine swinging a 9kg one. it does get very very boring doing swings. after a while you suspect it is only good training for getting a job as a church bell ringer ( they do have a name which i cant remember ) and then your eyes glaze over and it is around about then that you end up in danger of taking out a window.
    Yes DD books are expensive.... I would rather hold a book in my hand and read it rather than read from a Nook or Kindle.

Church bell ringer? Not a large demand for those.... and I haven't been to church in years, so I doubt that I will be applying.... My swings are supposed to be a timed session, at 12 minutes, and the getups are timed at 5 minutes then I will do a run afterwards, so hopefully my mind won't get too numb.

and I haven't been to church in years, so I doubt that I will be applying....
    me neither!!! i doubt they would have me either too LOL 12 mins of swings would be all over. i need to exercise in a way that makes me love the pain and i so dont enjoy swings. i'd rather run up a muddy hill for 12 mins. or down a very sand dune being chased by sealions. or punch a boxing bag. but clock watching exercises do my head in. each to their own tho. 2 funny. i was googling church bell ringer to see what the proper name is and i found this in wikipedia about the hazards of church bell ringing!

"In the Middle Ages, it was believed that the sound of a bell could disperse thunder. A large number of bell-ringers were electrocuted as a result. In France between the years 1753 and 1786, 103 bell-ringers were killed during thunderstorms as a result of holding on to wet bell ropes. The Parlement of Paris enforced an edict in 1786 to forbid the practice "

i so need to stick to bondage and mud wrestling i reckon!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I have a penfriend who actually IS a church bell ringer. I hope she knows about this.

i need to exercise in a way that makes me love the pain .....

i so need to stick to bondage and mud wrestling i reckon!
    so you are one of THOSE folks huh??? Kinda hard to tie yourself up though, isn't it???? lol

it goes on to say

"Deaths likely continued until the 19th century, when the lightning rod came into general use." so she should be safe. who would have known tho. i have seen a grave in a very old church yard in england of a girl who was killed by lightning whilst saying her vespers. but never seen any evidence church bell ringing was potentially very terminal.

so you are one of THOSE folks huh??? Kinda hard to tie yourself up though, isn't it???? lol
    there is usually no shortage of volunteers.

there is usually no shortage of volunteers.
    lol.... I have no doubt....