Page 34 of 565 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134534 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind... page 34

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Doc - where have you been ????????
    Not snowed in - I hope !!!!!!!

Gwamma is in desperate need of some vege gardening advice.......................
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Doc - where have you been ????????
    Not snowed in - I hope !!!!!!!

Gwamma is in desperate need of some vege gardening advice.......................
    OK... what is your question.... I don't grow upside down plants like you do down under.... so I may be of limited help

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    OK... what is your question.... I don't grow upside down plants like you do down under.... so I may be of limited help
    Doc - don't you go starting that bloody upside down argument !!!!!!!!
    okay 1. what veges should I "bother with" for winter ???? sometimes veges are cheaper to buy than grow, however ??????
    2. how does one 'prepare the ground' for said winter plantings.
    3. can one still eat potatoes if duggem up at this time of year - taking into account of course that one is upside down, the other right way up !!!!!!
    4. how does one - without chemicals - get rid of horrible earwigs off rhubarb ?????

okay Doc - I think that is enough questions for one night - and............ Gwamma is watching a movie on the boxing day Tsunami !
    be good - and if not good - be good at it !!!!
    thank you
    G x

...small steps....

Doc - don't you go starting that bloody upside down argument !!!!!!!!
    okay 1. what veges should I "bother with" for winter ???? sometimes veges are cheaper to buy than grow, however ?????? Well, anything that is cold hardy.... cabbage, kale, collard, broccoli (needs frost protection), lettuce, turnips, carrots

2. how does one 'prepare the ground' for said winter plantings.
    I prep my winter garden just like my spring one... till, fertilize, rake, plant

3. can one still eat potatoes if duggem up at this time of year - taking into account of course that one is upside down, the other right way up !!!!!!
    You can dig 'taters and keep them in "root cellar" for months....

4. how does one - without chemicals - get rid of horrible earwigs off rhubarb ?????
    hmmm I'm not sure... I found this online:

Earwig damage mimics damage from caterpillars and slugs; be sure you've identified the real culprits by looking for feeding earwigs on your plants after dark. Make traps from rolled-up newspapers or cardboard filled with straw and taped shut at one end. Place them near plants and dump the contents into a bucket of soapy water in the morning. Or fill cat food cans with 1/4 inch of oil (preferably fish oil) and sink them into the ground near plants. Empty them every day. Sprinkle a 2-inch-wide circle of diatomaceous earth around beds or the base of plants; reapply after rains. Place a light-colored cloth beneath an infested plant and shake or tap the branches. The earwigs should fall onto the cloth and can be disposed of. The earwig's only insect predator in North America is the tachinid fly. Attract this fly by planting alyssum, calendula, dill, and fennel.

Garden Pest or Beneficial? Earwigs & Earwig Control: Organic Gardening

thanx Doc. I might head to the nursery today. Althou I still have a wee bit of clearing to do.
    Have you got a wee glass house to grow the lettuce and brocolli ???
    I haven't bothered with lettuce in the past. Almost too much work for the return. And the brocolli is always covered in those little green caterpillars. I am always worried that I will eat one !!!!!!! EEEEEWWWWW

...small steps....

thanx Doc. I might head to the nursery today. Althou I still have a wee bit of clearing to do.
    Have you got a wee glass house to grow the lettuce and brocolli ???
    I haven't bothered with lettuce in the past. Almost too much work for the return. And the brocolli is always covered in those little green caterpillars. I am always worried that I will eat one !!!!!!! EEEEEWWWWW
    I take aluminium conduit and bend it into a hoop shape and put 6 or 7 of those over the garden bed and cover them with either clear plastic or row fabric. I'm not sure what you would call it down there... you guys have some strange words....

like this:
    Managing Quick Hoops

The best way to get rid of the catepilars is to use Dipple dust.... or something siilar.... though I am not against using chemicals if the infestation is bad enough. I'm no purist... OK... I am a purist in somethings.... but those are not fit for print...
    As far as eating a wee buggy... just extra protein.... and it's primal!
    Last edited by ssn679doc; 03-04-2013 at 10:45 PM.

I take aluminium conduit and bend it into a hoop shape and put 6 or 7 of those over the garden bed and cover them with either clear plastic or row fabric. I'm not sure what you would call it down there... you guys have some strange words....

like this:
    Managing Quick Hoops

The best way to get rid of the catepilars is to use Dipple dust.... or something siilar.... though I am not against using chemicals if the infestation is bad enough. I'm no purist... OK... I am a purist in somethings.... but those are not fit for print...
    As far as eating a wee buggy... just extra protein.... and it's primal!
    eeeeewww doc-co-tor that is nasty eating bloody bugs..... whats worse than finding a bug in your salad ................... half a bug in your salad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that wee loop-de-loop looks great. When my lovely tribe of tongan boyz were here they put a heap of plastic wrap around the house covering all and sundry............................. and I see that they left the plastic wrap !!! yay for me !!!!!! I am not sure if it will be strong enough but we can always give it a go !!!!!

I tried to find a wee picky of my four raised beds, but they were full of horrendous weeds, and it would prove to you how lazy I actually am - so I will wait until said weeds have been suitably dealt to !!!!!!!!

It was amusing because DH spent hours getting my wee raised beds level - and then we have 9842 earthquakes - I kid you not...................... so there is a wee bit of squaring up needed in my vege patch !!!!!!

...small steps....

Monday was an expensive day.....

My grill is just about rusted out... it's nearly 10 years old and is due for replacement... so I did... Tuesday will be a grill day! I must burn cow flesh on the new propane altar...

The other expense was a new front wheel drive tiller. My old tiller is older than my grill, but it kicks the crap out of me when I use it... so I purchased a new Troybilt Super Bronco tillers.... so before I sacrifice cow, I must appease the digger gods......

And because of all of this running around my squats and pull ups got blown off.... ehh, OK...

Diet:

B: boiled chicken and montrey jack omlette, coffee with HWC

L: top round stir fry left overs..

D: BAS, polish sausage

S: raspberry jello (sugar free)

F: 102g (61%) C:47g (12%) P:101g (27%)

Apparently my scale got tired of the verbal abuse I give it and started to act right.... got on the scale weighed 228, that 2 lb lower than the running lie it has been telling me lately...... I weighed today at 227.4........ bastage

eeeeewww doc-co-tor that is nasty eating bloody bugs..... whats worse than finding a bug in your salad ................... half a bug in your salad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that wee loop-de-loop looks great. When my lovely tribe of tongan boyz were here they put a heap of plastic wrap around the house covering all and sundry............................. and I see that they left the plastic wrap !!! yay for me !!!!!! I am not sure if it will be strong enough but we can always give it a go !!!!!

I tried to find a wee picky of my four raised beds, but they were full of horrendous weeds, and it would prove to you how lazy I actually am - so I will wait until said weeds have been suitably dealt to !!!!!!!!

It was amusing because DH spent hours getting my wee raised beds level - and then we have 9842 earthquakes - I kid you not...................... so there is a wee bit of squaring up needed in my vege patch !!!!!!
    Thats one of the reasons I don't eat salad! I grow broccoli because wife and daughter love it... grandson too.... tatses nasty.... If broccoli tased like, uhhhm Guiness, I'd be all over it like a duck on a June bug! or ugly on an ape, or white on rice, but alas it tastes like grass... minus the gr....

I used to have raised beds because of space issues but now I live in the sticks... so I just till the ground and plant. I do have some raised beds, but I put herbs in them..... like thyme, basil, sage etc... not THAT kind of herb! Thats "illegal" to grow that! lol

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    but alas it tastes like grass... minus the gr....
    can't say that I have tasted that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what age is the wee grandson? and only the one ?????

...small steps....