Page 255 of 502 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265305355 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 5016

Thread: Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind... page 255

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Good morning everyone.

Doc, holy poo on all those chickens! And here I thought they came beheaded, degutted, and plucked from some nice man in a white apron.

Misabi, congrats on the land buy.

Mud Flinger, all firsts are good. Now you have turkey under your belt, it's time to pluck a goat. (Hmm...)
    Chciken DOES come from a nice man in a white apron, but when he's pluckin, it isn't very white.... mine is still soaking in bleach water...

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    What model plucker did you get and where? I have thought about getting one, but to be honest, it costs me almost as much to raise a chicken as to buy a nice organic one, already done up. I have land to pasture them, but the wild life and my dogs like chicken too. Friends keep asking if they can buy one of my huge turkeys, but I doubt they want to pay what it costs to raise and spoil them! They are such funny and friendly birds!

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I didn't know until recently that Turkeys (At least the wild ones) can actually fly well when necessary. We have flocks of wild turkeys that roam around our area. I took our guest dog out for a walk last week not realizing that they were in my yard. She ran at them and they flew to the top of the maple trees. I was impressed. The dog ran back to me cowering because she had never seen birds that big. She is from Boston.

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I didn't know until recently that Turkeys (At least the wild ones) can actually fly well when necessary. We have flocks of wild turkeys that roam around our area. I took our guest dog out for a walk last week not realizing that they were in my yard. She ran at them and they flew to the top of the maple trees. I was impressed. The dog ran back to me cowering because she had never seen birds that big. She is from Boston.
    City dogs, eh, what da they know 'bout country life....

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    One Thanksgiving (after dinner), Sweetie noticed a flock of wild turkeys in our yard. Our (adult) children ran outside and chased them off... flap, flap, flap... right into the upper branches of the aspen trees. Lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    What model plucker did you get and where? I have thought about getting one, but to be honest, it costs me almost as much to raise a chicken as to buy a nice organic one, already done up. I have land to pasture them, but the wild life and my dogs like chicken too. Friends keep asking if they can buy one of my huge turkeys, but I doubt they want to pay what it costs to raise and spoil them! They are such funny and friendly birds!
    If you get any of the poultry mags (ie Backyard Poultry etc) you have seen ads for CCONLY. They have all kinds of poultry equipment for sale and it is cheaper than Featherman etc, however, it is made in China....... go figure! Thats what I bought cuz I'm a cheapskate.

I would love to raise turkeys, but the CW is you can't raise turkeys and chickens together because of blackhead disease. The 2 I had did fine with my chickens, so I know I can do it. Turkey poults are expensive!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    You bet Annie, starting in the animal husbandry game is exciting...and daunting as well. Congrats on the 3 eggs from your layers! It is exciting getting eggs in the short day length part of the year, but your days should be getting longer now. What breed of chicken do you have?
    Yes the days are getting longer and the numbers of eggs are increasing. Previously 0-2 per day, now up to 2-3 already.

I think they are red shavers?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Friends keep asking if they can buy one of my huge turkeys, but I doubt they want to pay what it costs to raise and spoil them!
    My teenage nephew is raising turkeys and I have booked to buy one when it's ready for the table. But it is taking a LOT longer than he expected. He had early success but then found the girls grow much slower than the boys and slow down in winter too. So I now don't know if I'll ever get mine, or if it will be worth the price in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Yes the days are getting longer and the numbers of eggs are increasing. Previously 0-2 per day, now up to 2-3 already.

I think they are red shavers?
    Ahh... OK... Here those would b Red sex link hens. I have about a dozen of those, along with some black sex link, barred Rocks, Delaware, Newport Reds and a Dominique. About 40 hens total.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Ahh... OK... Here those would b Red sex link hens. I have about a dozen of those, along with some black sex link, barred Rocks, Delaware, Newport Reds and a Dominique. About 40 hens total.
    I knew you'd be able to get sex into the conversation somehow. Well done!