Page 254 of 444 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256264304354 ... LastLast
Results 2,531 to 2,540 of 4440

Thread: Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind... page 254

badgergirl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Holy sheet...
    Like this?
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Thanks for the book recommendations doc.

I've watched a few videos of Salatin talking on various aspects of farming, very interesting. The current owners have the place overstocked I think, 6 head of cattle and about 6 sheep.

It's just over 4 acres of good grazing, fairly flat, recently remineralised (if that's a word) organically (current owners are keen organic farmers, selling upto buy a decent sized Farm after hobby farming for a few years) and has a couple of plumbed water troughs fed from a water bore.
    Hey no problm with the book recomendations.... I have a small library.... my wife calls me a book-whore... she's not far off...

If the land is well fertilized, and since you say the owners are organo-philes, it more than likely is.... as long as the grass is growing fast enough to meet their needs, they may be OK... If they are bringing in hay because there isn't enough grass to go around, you may be right that it is over stocked. Are the animal staying with the farm, or moving up with the current owners? One of the benefits of buying land that is already being used for cattle, is that your fence building will be minimal... The land I am on had no fences, so all of the fencing we have has been put in by me... what fun THAT is! I will admit, diggin post holes is a grat shoulder work out!

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    I have never looked at the qualifying times for NY, or Boston, as I will never get that good, and don't intend to try to get that good. Yeah, I just looked.... qualifying tie for 50+ male is 3:06..... I can't even dream that fast! lol
    Lol, I hear you there, I got more chance of having a crap in the Popes mitre than getting that fast!

And good luck on your farming venture Misabi, would sheep and chooks be an easier start?

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Hey no problm with the book recomendations.... I have a small library.... my wife calls me a book-whore... she's not far off...

If the land is well fertilized, and since you say the owners are organo-philes, it more than likely is.... as long as the grass is growing fast enough to meet their needs, they may be OK... If they are bringing in hay because there isn't enough grass to go around, you may be right that it is over stocked. Are the animal staying with the farm, or moving up with the current owners? One of the benefits of buying land that is already being used for cattle, is that your fence building will be minimal... The land I am on had no fences, so all of the fencing we have has been put in by me... what fun THAT is! I will admit, diggin post holes is a grat shoulder work out!
    They're taking all the beasts with them. The paddicks are fully fenced, so lucky there. The only fencing we have got to do is to fence of a garden at the back of the house to keep my 2 direwolves from being able to get at the livestock.. hopefully I'll be able to train them to them to at least tolerate the other animals, but in the meantime they will be banished to their own area.

There will be plenty of shade for the direwolves, as they will be in a bit of a mini orchard, with macadamia, avocado, nashi pear, greengage plum, chilean guava berry, Mandarin and shine other fruit trees.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    And good luck on your farming venture Misabi, would sheep and chooks be an easier start?
    Not so sure on sheep. They're to close to fast food for my 2, whereas they tend to give grudging respect to cattle. Although, I'm sure my boy is secretly convinced he could tackle a full grown American bison Now there's an animal is love to have roaming around the paddocks
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Not so sure on sheep. They're to close to fast food for my 2, whereas they tend to give grudging respect to cattle. Although, I'm sure my boy is secretly convinced he could tackle a full grown American bison Now there's an animal is love to have roaming around the paddocks
    lol... Bison are terrific.... but hell on fences!

They're taking all the beasts with them. The paddicks are fully fenced, so lucky there. The only fencing we have got to do is to fence of a garden at the back of the house to keep my 2 direwolves from being able to get at the livestock.. hopefully I'll be able to train them to them to at least tolerate the other animals, but in the meantime they will be banished to their own area.

There will be plenty of shade for the direwolves, as they will be in a bit of a mini orchard, with macadamia, avocado, nashi pear, greengage plum, chilean guava berry, Mandarin and shine other fruit trees.
    Good to hear about the fence... and that sounds like a great orchard!

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Can't believe I haven't read here sooner! I just did my first turkey by myself Saturday. I have had a friend who hunts come and help me the past 2 years, but after I butchered all my own chickens this year, ( and taught a friend how to do it) I thought I would give the big boy a try. He was about 45 lbs live weight and 35 lbs dressed. I brined him for 2 days in apple juice and salt water with ice. The top half went in the oven and the bottom went in the smoker. It was a white giant and only 5 months old. His brothers are even bigger. I ended up with 5 males and one female this year and the boys are either fighting or strutting non- stop.

How did you pluck all your chickens? My chickens had very tender skin that ripped when I plucked, so I just skinned them all, and only did like 3-4 at a time. Turkeys are much harder to skin, so we pluck them, but I swear the plucking takes and hour each! I don't use any special equipment either. What do you use?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Good morning everyone.

Doc, holy poo on all those chickens! And here I thought they came beheaded, degutted, and plucked from some nice man in a white apron.

Misabi, congrats on the land buy.

Mud Flinger, all firsts are good. Now you have turkey under your belt, it's time to pluck a goat. (Hmm...)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Can't believe I haven't read here sooner! I just did my first turkey by myself Saturday. I have had a friend who hunts come and help me the past 2 years, but after I butchered all my own chickens this year, ( and taught a friend how to do it) I thought I would give the big boy a try. He was about 45 lbs live weight and 35 lbs dressed. I brined him for 2 days in apple juice and salt water with ice. The top half went in the oven and the bottom went in the smoker. It was a white giant and only 5 months old. His brothers are even bigger. I ended up with 5 males and one female this year and the boys are either fighting or strutting non- stop.

How did you pluck all your chickens? My chickens had very tender skin that ripped when I plucked, so I just skinned them all, and only did like 3-4 at a time. Turkeys are much harder to skin, so we pluck them, but I swear the plucking takes and hour each! I don't use any special equipment either. What do you use?
    Welcome to the funny farm! Congrats on the turkey... thaza big bird!

I have a tub style plucker..... it's the only way I will do chickens from now on... get a good scalp and in 30 seconds you have nekkid chicken (and it works on turkeys too!) Someone gave us a tom and a hen turkey last year. The tom was a royal PITA, and as he was a wild turkey, legally I couldn't do anything about him.... until turkey season! My plucker was in use somewhere else so I skinned the tom and ground him in to turkey burgers... pretty tasty stuff that!