Page 235 of 586 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245285335 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,350 of 5851

Thread: Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind... page 235

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    So, er, how much work is plucking? (not a euphemism!) I'm not sure I could do all the prep for a home-grown chook.
    I thought it might have been a typing impediment....

Mind you, good question!

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    So, er, how much work is plucking? (not a euphemism!) I'm not sure I could do all the prep for a home-grown chook.
    pretty easy, actually..... with the wifes help I can get 50 birds killed, plucked, gutted and in a chiller in about 4 or 5 hours. I use a tub style chicken plucker, which makes the plucking a breeze....

kinda like this.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNvdWcEDpJ0
    Last edited by ssn679doc; 08-01-2013 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Good day all!

Blimey, so does that mean it only takes eight weeks from egg to chopping block for meat chooks, didn't realise it was that fast,
    To clarify a bit.... the breed of chicken has alot to do with this as well. I raise the Cornish Cross breed, the white feathered bird that most factory farms raise. Other varieties that can be used for meat grow slower, around 12 weeks or so, which is why those breeds aren't what most chicken farmers raise. It costs more to get them to market because of the additional time to grow. Since feed is the highest cost of raising chickens, the faster you can get them out, the faster you get a payday....

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    To clarify a bit.... the breed of chicken has alot to do with this as well. I raise the Cornish Cross breed, the white feathered bird that most factory farms raise. Other varieties that can be used for meat grow slower, around 12 weeks or so, which is why those breeds aren't what most chicken farmers raise. It costs more to get them to market because of the additional time to grow. Since feed is the highest cost of raising chickens, the faster you can get them out, the faster you get a payday....
    Makes sense, to be fair, though wouldn't it be the faster you get some munchies in your case?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Makes sense, to be fair, though wouldn't it be the faster you get some munchies in your case?!
    Well, I do 50 because that is about 1 bird per week, so I will have a years supply of yard buzzard on ice.... tho it does require a bit of pre-planning to satisfy the chicken craving....

ehhh I'm not much of a Martha Stewart fan.... but I found this today... and making an adaptation...

Shepherd's Pie with Rutabaga Topping Recipe | Cooking | How To | Martha Stewart Recipes

Well, I made the shepards pie..... a "mostly" Primal version, with some "20%" allowances (cuz I was lazy today) It tasted pretty good, though there are soe things I will do differently in the future.... Since I don't have a ton of experience with rutabaga, I cooked them in the same pot as the potatos (I used many more rutabaga than potato). Next go round, they get separate pots..... rutabaga cook slower than potatos. Ya learn something new every day! When I mashed the taters and bagas I did use butter and a splash of 1/2 and 1/2, and the texture wasn't too bad. There were lumps of rutabaga because they weren't cooked as thoroughly as the potato so they didn't mash as well. I browned the ground bef, added the onion, and added about a 1/4 cup of beef broth to the mix to help cook the onion. I wanted to add mushrooms (but didn't have any) and carrots but didn't have the time to cook them, so I substituted frozen mixed veggies and used cream of mushroom soup. If I use the soup agai, I will probably use beef broth instead of water to make the soup. Once the soup had reduced down a bit, I laddled some in to small ramakins and topped with the tater/baga mixture and baked at 350 for about 30 minutes. I probably could/should have baked them a bit longer to get a bit more brown on the topping, but they were nice and hot and pretty tasty, even though I had never made them before and was totally flying by the seat of my pants...... Definitely a "Do Again" category dish....

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    You could dice the rutabaga small, and/or add it to the pot afore the spuds - it is what I do - to not hafta use a second pot. I will use a second pot if necessary, but in general I like to keep cookpot clutter down for one meal.

I'm kinda a Martha groupie. Everything I have tried of hers worked beautifully for me so far. I have most of her cookbooks, with the exception of wedding-only vols.
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 08-02-2013 at 02:27 AM.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    I *think* a rutabaga is what Brits call a swede (I think your swedes are our turnips?)... Anyways, what Carbcakes (typo, but a funny one so it stays) suggests should be golden.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Carbcakes IS funny, I agree!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC