Page 205 of 494 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255305 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 4931

Thread: Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind... page 205

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Mmmmmm, paella... Especially seafood paella!

Hey DDave - re languages: learn German. Those folks absolutely LIVE for and by rules, and their language reflects this in structure; the vocabuary is also highly literal. Your math-spacial-analytical brain should have a good time with it. You would also have a very fine time sampling your way through all the brewskis that country offers, all in the name of cultural immersion, of course... And after a couple of bock beers, making those guttural sounds will come much easier!

Hey Pebbles! My Spanish teacher was from Puerto Rico, and I never knew I was picking up that accent until she started a unit on the Spanish of Spain - all those th th th th th's sound funny still to my ears. But, to get to some good tapas, I think I can endure it!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Learning German- plus singing along to Rammstein is a great way to practice!
    'Cept Till will give you the bad habit of rollling your 'r's all sexy.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Learning German- plus singing along to Rammstein is a great way to practice!
    'Cept Till will give you the bad habit of rollling your 'r's all sexy.
    Rammstein!! Hey Cori - try YouTubing "Corvus Corax" and tell me what you think...
    But seriously, I enjoy some oompah, too. My mom used to put on some oooooold-fashioned (Ernst Mosch) oompah as vacuuming music - I think it is how she dealt with homesickness - and it stuck.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbcakes View Post
    mmmmmm, paella... Especially seafood paella!

Hey ddave - re languages: Learn german. Those folks absolutely live for and by rules, and their language reflects this in structure; the vocabuary is also highly literal.

I have a picture bingo game that has words in sp, fr & german. If the kids are stuck on a word, I will often read the german. Example sp.- la uña, ger - der fingernagel

hey pebbles! My spanish teacher was from puerto rico, and i never knew i was picking up that accent until she started a unit on the spanish of spain - all those th th th th th's sound funny still to my ears. But, to get to some good tapas, i think i can endure it!

Right out of college, I worked for the united farm workers. One day, Cesar Chavez, the founder of UFW, came to visit our nyc based group. Our local leader said "paula speaks spanish..." then this man who I had read about in history books started speaking to me in spanish. He said," where did you learn spanish? At first I was dumbstruck, then I answered "I lived in spain a three years ago. " He started to laugh because in my best southern spanish accent I said..."Viví en ethpaña hathe treth añoth". He responded, "Yes you have learned your Spanish in Spain."
    lol
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 06-04-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Rammstein!! Hey Cori - try YouTubing "Corvus Corax" and tell me what you think...
    But seriously, I enjoy some oompah, too. My mom used to put on some oooooold-fashioned (Ernst Mosch) oompah as vacuuming music - I think it is how she dealt with homesickness - and it stuck.
    Gypsy/medi-folk-metal!?

I like it!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Der Fingernagel... Yup! It also helps that English is a Germanic descendant. Sometime, when I get around to it, I would like to master Anglo-Saxon - just for the hell of it.

My kids fave - der Backstein. = brick. Literally translated - "baked stone"
    And just to get nasty - a fart is a Pfurz.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Gypsy/medi-folk-metal!?

I like it!
    I am still playing with Earth-centered philosophies, and one day I wanted to look up music that might please an overtly Pagan crowd, and some website mentioned them, so off I went to look. IIRC, a number of them have degrees in medieval lit, music and the like. I think they make their own instruments. Anyway, it always gets me boppin'!

Der Fingernagel... Yup! It also helps that English is a Germanic descendant. Sometime, when I get around to it, I would like to master Anglo-Saxon - just for the hell of it.

My kids fave - der Backstein. = brick. Literally translated - "baked stone"
    And just to get nasty - a fart is a Pfurz.
    We had a bit of this discussion in my journal the other day because husband and I adopted a new German Shepherd and I was using the abbreviation GSD as I always do. And it confused folks a bit because "why add 'dog' to the end of it?"

Because it's German of course.
    Deutscher Schäferhund- literally German Shepherd Dog. So using GSD is more appropriate than the shorter Americanized form where the dog is dropped.

Then of course they became Alsatians when WWI came around for fear of the German moniker harming their popularity or causing them to be unjustly persecuted(they are just dogs ya know), and remained so for a good long while... WWII didn't help with Germany's image much either you know.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Re the image of Germany - I still grew up in the 70's calling a hot dog a Frankfurter, even though a Frankfurter technically is a very specific kind of sausage when you order one by that name in-country, and I think "hot dog" came into use during WWII.

Hey Cori - good show! You added the Umlaut to Schäferhund! Thanks!
    My favorite is the Altdeutscher Schäferhund. But don't go all technical on me, cause I won't understand it - I just got up-close and personal with a few in Germany and it was love at first sight!

Hey Cori - good show! You added the Umlaut to Schäferhund! Thanks!
    Sometimes I do... sometimes I'm lazy. LOL
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche