Page 19 of 531 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119519 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind... page 19

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    At present I only have chickens, to the tune of @ 80 of the ladies. About 35 of them are very young and are just starting to lay. The others are betwen 2 and 3 years old. The oldest birds are red sex link hens, the next oldest group are black sex link, the youngest group is a mixed bag of Barred Rock, Delaware, Rhode Island Red, and a couple of other breeds I have yet to identify. I would love to be able to get a couple of beef cows and a couple of pigs, but haven't gotten them yet. I also have a HUGE garden about 1/4 acre in size. I also planted some apples, peaches, pears, blackberries and raspberries.

Sunday:

A run day, but blew it off until I get through this 2 weeks of induction to fat adaptation.... so I played in the greenhouse a bit. I have pak choy, chinese cabbage, broccolil, radicchio and spinach started. I have some lettuce and arugula to start today. I pulled out all of the cabbage and radish I have been growing through the winter. There was some pok choy to harvest too. Still have collards in the ground, and they will stay there for a bit yet. Since Sunday is a short day, I didn't work very long. Sat watched Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 1 with the wife for a relaxing-let-lunch-settle time before trodding off to bed.

Diet:

B: scrambled eggs, pork sausage, coffee w/ butter and heavy cream.

L: home made chicken stir fry

D: sleep

S: none

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Damn, I am jealous of your greenhouse. I have always wanted a greenhouse and a garden. In theory I would be a great farmer and grow amazing things. In reality I would probably sit on the computer and think, 'huh, I should put something in the greenhouse,' so perhaps it is best I do not have them.

Your produce variety sounds great though. Let us know how they all turn out.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Our chickens were Barred Rock. We rescued them from a family who was moving. Their daughter was not going to take care of them and said she would let her pit bulls have them. (Nice, classy people) It was hard to lose them one by one. Two went to old age. One was taken by a hawk. The last old lady refused to stay in the chicken shed. She got depressed and stopped eating. She slept on our front porch. In the end, she was taken by a fisher.

80 chickens...That must be a lot of work. How many eggs do you get from them?

I am impressed by your garden. I have a large one. I am just not that successful in getting much out of it. I may pick your brain this year. We have almost 4 acres, but it is mostly wooded.

EDIT: I want a greenhouse too! I'm sure I would be a better gardener then!
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-11-2013 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    In theory I would be a great farmer and grow amazing things. In reality I would probably sit on the computer and think, 'huh, I should put something in the greenhouse,' so perhaps it is best I do not have them.
    Yeah, i have to be careful about that too... I have to force myself away from the 'puter sometimes. I could spend all day and several paychecks at the website where I buy most of my seed... Lots of gardening gadgets, tools, toys and various sundery other things to spend money on....

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Our chickens were Barred Rock. We rescued them from a family who was moving. Their daughter was not going to take care of them and said she would let her pit bulls have them. (Nice, classy people) It was hard to lose them one by one. Two went to old age. One was taken by a hawk. The last old lady refused to stay in the chicken shed. She got depressed and stopped eating. She slept on our front porch. In the end, she was taken by a fisher.

80 chickens...That must be a lot of work. How many eggs do you get from them?

I am impressed by your garden. I have a large one. I am just not that successful in getting much out of it. I may pick your brain this year. We have almost 4 acres, but it is mostly wooded.

EDIT: I want a greenhouse too! I'm sure I would be a better gardener then!
    I am currently getting @ 3 doz a day. I get some eggs all through the winter, but very few... I was getting about 1 doz a day for quite a while. In the late fall the birds molt and grow new feathers, and when they do that, they stop laying.
    Yeah, haws are a problem here too. That is the one predator that I lose birds too. Fortunately they haven't been too bad this winter. Must be lots of small game for them to take instead...
    I'm no garden expert, but I will do what I can to answer your questions. I have a small library that I use for reference here.

Monday:

It's a push up and leg raise day. Did 3 sets of knee push ups, at 40, 40 and 32 reps each. Also did 3 sets of fla bent knee raises at 40 reps per set.

Diet:

B: scrambled eggs and pork sausage patties

L: chicken stir fry

D: hamburger patty

F: 108g (60%) C:50g (12%) P:114g (28%) total calories:1591

A little high on the protein, but the rest of it is pretty close to being spot on....

So, besides exercise, I spent my time making yogurt from 1/2 gal of whole milk and started some seed for 2 kinds of lettuce, some arugula, kale, and celery. Now it's time to rest/sleep.

Tuesday:

An off day for me... heck, that could describe me most days! No exercise planned. Took the time to prevent certain unhappiness by going out and doing some Thursday shopping. And I picked up some seed for turnips, spinach, radish etc. It is that time of year!

Diet:

B: scrambled eggs, steak

L: BAS, polish sausage

D: hamburger patty w/ butter

Wednesday:

It's squats and pull ups day. Another rainy day, so I worked with the suspension trainer again. I completed 3 sets of 30 close squats. It seems to me that these things are getting easier to do.... I also did 3 sets of 15 jack knife pull ups. Last week I only got 2 sets of 10 done, so some improvement. I also tried a chin up and got 3/4 of one done, but didn't push the issue because I was pullin up on the narrow edge of a 2x4... I'll try again on a bar later this weekend. I did the jack knife pull ups in between sets of 50 bent knee calf raises. In addition to the pull ups I did 2 sets of 10 reverse flies, passing rows and gator switchbacks.

Diet:

B: scrambled eggs, steak

L: polish sausage w/ BAS

D: hamburger patty w/ cheese

S: yogurt with a handfull of walnut pieces.

F: 109g (67%) C: 33g (9%) P:87g (23%)

Thursday:

Happy VD to all you lovers out there! So today is the only day you can say that an not get slapped.... A non-exercise day. Went grocery shopping instead. Mostly salad stuff, and the obligatory sugar free popsicles for the wife... Whatever blows air up her skirt, I guess...

Diet:

B: scrambled eggs and pork sausage patties

L: hamburger patties with cheese

D: rotisserie chicken legs and wings... of the fatty goodness!

F: 135g (68%) C:12g (3%) P:132g (29%) Went WAY over on F & P macros.... was starving by the time I got to eat dinner... so I stuffed my face with fatty chicken goodness.... I don't know if I can call that a "binge" per se, but I'd rather gorge on protein and fat than celery....