Page 177 of 526 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227277 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 5260

Thread: Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind... page 177

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    One would think so.... yes
    Sadly, we were proved wrong. I wanted a mint-green Penguin Modern Classics edition. And, well, let me say right now that the updating of series' designs really annoys me - Penguin Modern Classics are now silver instead.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    I had to look that word up..... (I never claimed to be an edjimicated chap....) but you see to have the right of it... lol
    Ha ha, good man, and I don't be edumacated either, I just like worms!

Where's an unsafe place for spine snobs?!

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Ha ha, good man, and I don't be edumacated either, I just like worms!

Where's an unsafe place for spine snobs?!
    As long as they aren't in a bottle of to-kill-ya, they are OK.... the ones in the ground in my garden are fab! The ones that turn into cabbage moths, not so much!

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Boys, your salacious minds are why I like you. Now, I'm off to bed (Henry James awaits). Night all.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Boys, your salacious minds are why I like you. Now, I'm off to bed (Henry James awaits). Night all.
    You must like a girl that likes a salacious mind..... lol

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Doc, I hafta ask some ag questions -
    When can you typically first till your garden in VA?
    Plant the first seeds?
    And how big is that garden of yours anyway?

Up here, especially in these hills, we have to wait a long time. Sigh. Winter was loooong this year - it took forever just to get some green in wild Mother Nature.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Doc, I hafta ask some ag questions -
    When can you typically first till your garden in VA?
    Plant the first seeds?
    And how big is that garden of yours anyway?

Up here, especially in these hills, we have to wait a long time. Sigh. Winter was loooong this year - it took forever just to get some green in wild Mother Nature.
    First tilling (depending water not temp) was in Feb this year.

I planted peas in February, I start early..

How big? I have 2 "blocks" of beds. Each block has 20 beds in "rows" of 10 beds. The beds are 3'x40' with a 2' walkway betwixt beds and a 2' wid crosswalk betwixt rows of beds. Each block is about 50' wide and 82ish' deep.... in "round" figures about a 1/4 acre. Inbtween the 2 blocks is where my compost pile is. The garden "complex" is 50'x200' or so...

My peach trees (usually the first ones to bloom) were blooming in february... and I have peaches (which reminds me, I need to spray them) on the trees. They will probably be ripening in June/July
    Last edited by ssn679doc; 05-17-2013 at 03:57 AM.

Holy Jack Frost - in Feb up here, we are still buried under snow and ice layers, and the ground is as hard as something out of your deep freezer. Now I feel better - I have been cleaning up the herb garden and flower bed and such, and reading about you harvesting your craptons of produce had me feeling really kinda down. I am no pro, I just putz and learn more each year, and earnestly try to get something edible from my labors.

Last year we learned allllll about tomato hornworms...
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Holy Jack Frost - in Feb up here, we are still buried under snow and ice layers, and the ground is as hard as something out of your deep freezer. Now I feel better - I have been cleaning up the herb garden and flower bed and such, and reading about you harvesting your craptons of produce had me feeling really kinda down. I am no pro, I just putz and learn more each year, and earnestly try to get something edible from my labors.

Last year we learned allllll about tomato hornworms...
    I'm a pro... at being an ass.... lol I'm a novice gardener, but learning fast!

Yeah, those hornworms are a pain.... and being non-organic, I have no problem blasting their arses. I haven't had to spray anything yet, but the season is young..... I try not to use chemicals, but if the choice is letting the bugs eat everything in the garden, or bugs dying..... bye bye bugs!

We do organic - via negligence, not any formal program. Mostly because I have a special-needs kid around who gets up to the craziest stuff, and I sleep better that way, knowing she at least won't be poisoned by anything I sprayed or sprinkled. She is half the reason my gardens are low-yield - she cannot keep her hands off, and I kinda had to make the decision that this kid learning stuff (to eat healthy, how veggies grow, what happens if you snap stems (no tomatoes...)) was worth buying produce at the farmer's market instead of growing more. Kids.

We picked the hornworms off by hand. But then, we didn't have rows and rows of tomatoes, just a row of big deck planters. (An attempt to keep the kid out of her father's few tomatoes in the garden proper.)