Page 16 of 444 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind... page 16

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wednesday:

Squats and pull ups today..... Weather is pretty harsh. It's near 70 today and the wind is howling.... gusting in the 30-40 mph range. No pull ups today, since my bar is outside..... squats on the otherhand I did do. I started the Close Squat progression. You wouldn't think that putting your heels together would make a huge difference in the effort required, but it do!! I did 2 sets of 20 for a first time at bat. Then finished with 3 sets of 45 bent knee calf raises.

Diet:

B; yogurt, sausage patty, 2 scrambled eggs

L; BAS, Roast beast, roast carots

D; yogurt, sausage patty

S; none, wasn't very snack-ie today.

Took the yogurt I made with my Yogotherm yogurt maker, and strained it for about a couple of hours. It got a bit thicker, but not as thick as commercial stuff. I'm OK with that. I kind of enjoy yogurt "smoothies"... and with that, it's time for some primal hybernation....

Thursday:

Today was a rest day, though I wanted to go for a short run. (It's amazing to me that 6 months ago I couldn't climb 3 flights of stairs without gettin winded, and I now consider 3 miles a "short" run....) but I had other things to do, so I opted to run errands instead. I picked up some keto-stix to check ketones in my urine. I have been eating MOAR FAT and fewer carbs, but more carbbs than I should be, so I want to tighten up my carb count some and check my urine for indications of ketosis. I did the Atkinss Diet a number of years ago and lost a ton of weight, and hit a platteau, started adding the Atkins franken foods and eventually lost hope and quit. Knowing that history, that the Atkins thing worked for me, when I read The Paleo Solution and then The Primal Blueprint, I had noooooo doubt that I could do this, because eating meat is OK by me, and the more of it the happier I am...... I am a CARNIVORE that occasionally eats bunny food..... but I'd rather have a nice juicy cut of steak than a salad any day of the week. So all of that locquaciousness to say I bot pee chekin stuff. I also picked up a body weight exercise/strap/over the door or a rafter contraption to put out in my shed so I can do pull ups etc when it's windy or rainy etc. Also got a nifty-galifty-lay-my-fat-butt-on-the-floor exercise mat to put out there as well. And a kettlebell. I want to experiment with 12 week training cycles. the 12 weeks I am currently in I will work on Convict Conditioning, the following 12 weeks will be kettlebell swings, to start, then cycle back to CC, then to kettlebell etc etc etc. So I started with a "light" one. I read "Enter the Kettlebell" back in November and it was recomended that men start with the 32 lb-er..... so I got a 20, cuz I'm a candy-azzzz. Never having done kettlebells, and I don't consider myself in great shape at this point, I figured it would be prudeent to start a little lighter. I can always get a heavier one.... It would set my training back a bit if I broke my leg or crushed my skull with a frikin iron weight that was to heavy for my skill level.... So I have a basic set up to continue to get stronger and fitter, and to LGN.... ( and who doesn't want to do that!!!)

Diet:

B: yogurt, 2 scrambled eggs, 2 sausage patties

L: 2 scrambled eggs, 2 sausage patties

D: 2 pan fried talapia filets, 1 hamburger patty (for QA purposes) and a section of one of the steaks (QA.... they have to be right!)

S: handful of almonds

Cooked up a grunch of hamburger patties, and I cooked a couple of chuck steaks I got when out running errands. Seasoned the steaks with season salt, garlic and pepper, cooked til medium rare then served. The steak will be for breakfast and lunch tomorrow, the burgers for wifey cuz they are easy. Oh, and I weighed when I got home from work...... 232.4 lb. I FINALLY broke 233! It's almost time for progress pics!! (every 10 lb) and small ketones... which explains my mild headache for the last 2 days...

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Hiya, I was thinking of doing the same sort of thing regarding the 12 cycles myself and I'm currently doing the 'Enter the Kettlebell', it does wonders for your shoulder strength, just moved up from a 16kg to a 20kg (we only get metric KB's in the UK), and the difference 4kg makes is mind blowing, so good move on the getting 20lber, if your just starting out, it works though!

Was going to cycle with 'You are Your Own Gym', but have toyed with CC, have you made good gains on it?

I'll keep an eye out, to see how you get on.

Cheers

Hey Dhansakdave, Thanks for stopping by, and for your comments! As far as gains doing CC go, I think I have made fairly good gains. When I started CC in October-ish, I was having a hard time doing 20 knee pushups, and 25 half squats. I started at the very beginning with wall push ups etc. On Monday, I completed 3 sets of knee pushups, at 40, 33 and 30 reps per set. The last tie I did squats, I started Close quats, and did 2 sets of 25 reps, and am up to 35 reps of the bent knee raises. The wife also tells me that she is seeing some good changes in my body, so if she's happy, I am too, cuz if Mama isn't happy, nobody is happy.....

This weekend has been a difficult weekend for exercise. We had 2 of the 3 local grand kids over Friday night. I set up a 2 person tent in a room and put a couple of sleeping bags for the kids to use. Both kids are 4 and they thought that sleepin in the tent was the bomb. So, in the camping theme we had grilled burgers, hot dogs and chicken breast for dinner. Saturday was an interesting day, if you think cleaning chicken houses is interesting....... Shoveled out the bedding in 2 houses and replaced it with fresh straw. One of the houses has been in use for a couple of years and needed to be cleaned, so, water hose, bucket and brush in hand I scrubbed the inside of the house. Since it was 37 degrees outside, I probbly should have picked a warmer day to do this chore. Alas, the need for new bedding outweighed my personal comfort requirements. I must say the house SMELLS much better!!!

Sunday was a run day. Completed 6 miles in 73 minutes. Not real fast, but the pace was a good one. The run went much like last weekend's long run. Each mile was faster than the previous one.....

I downloaded the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" on Friday and started reading it..... and I'm about 1/2 way through it. LOTS of good info there, but a bit on the technical side.

Diet has been pretty consistently Primal. No binges, no real desires for sweets etc. Saturday night we took some left over chicken breasts grilled, sauteed some 'shrooms and smothered the chicken and 'shrooms with shredded cheddar cheese, baked until chicken was warm and the cheese melted...... oh, and topped with some crumbled bacon..... oh my was it tasty..... a CRAP-TON of calories, but tasty!

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for your insight and well done on your improvements, think I might give a dash.

Good philosophy on keeping the other half happy as well!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Good philosophy on keeping the other half happy as well!
    Whomever said that ya can't teach an old dog new tricks LIED! lol

Monday:

It's a squats day, and pull ups day. Completed 2 sets of 25 close squats, and my pull ups suck!

Diet:

B: yogurt, coffee w/ heavy cream

L: BAS, roast beast with shredded cheddar and salsa

D: scrambled eggs w/ cheddar and salsa, and bacon

S: A cup of chicken bouillon, cup of beef bouillon

F:99 g (63%) P:91 g (25%) C: 43 g (12%) 1432 calories

Tuesday:

No exercise today. Errands run. Picked up salad stuffs for the next few days. Put up a suspended body weight trainer system in my shed so I can do shoulder work when the weather is too crappy to do pull ups. Watched the videos that came with it.... wow... pretty versitile system.

Diet:

B: scrambled eggs with salsa and cheese, bacon

L: BAS, grilled chicken with musrooms and cheese sauce

D: grilled burger patties w/ mushroom

S: chicken broth, beef broth, bacon

P: 93 g (62%) C: 38 g (11%) F:96 g (27%)
    Last edited by ssn679doc; 02-05-2013 at 10:45 AM.

PrimalCon New York
    Got this from a guy I know on Facebook... laughed may azzzzz off!