Page 146 of 565 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 5647

Thread: Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind... page 146

  1. #1451
    ssn679doc's Avatar
    ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,954
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i will fall back on my jewish blood then. kinda why i love chicken livers for no apparent reason. it may also be cultural as american cuisine is different to ours. i'd be fine with the pecans and you can have my bacon!
    I think you have a point in the cuisine aspect. bacon is huge in american cuisine... and not all bacon is the sae. Thestuff I make is entirely different than the industrial bacon industry product. My bacon is made the old fashioned way.... salt dry rubbed and the slab refrigreated, and smoked with hickory. then the slab is cut in to @ 1 lb pieces.

  2. #1452
    Dhansakdave's Avatar
    Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    2,135
    Thanks Cori, I thinks I haves to get me some syrup, I take it all measurements are guesstimated!

    +1 for the chicken livers as well!
    Last edited by Dhansakdave; 05-06-2013 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Spelling!

  3. #1453
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,715
    That's the stuff... only I pay dearly for it(sometimes) *and cast voodoo spells hoping for sales/end cuts for cheaper prices* from an independent butcher.

    I'm VERY nice/dedicated to my butcher BTW... and it really does save me money.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  4. #1454
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Thanks Cori, I thinks I haves to get me some syrup, I take it all measurements are guesstimated!

    +1 for the chicken livers as well!
    I googled some ice cream custard recipes and made a few adjustments. More cream, less milk. Maple syrup and bourbon additions... so reduced some sugar.
    I tend to wing it.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  5. #1455
    Dhansakdave's Avatar
    Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I googled some ice cream custard recipes and made a few adjustments. More cream, less milk. Maple syrup and bourbon additions... so reduced some sugar.
    I tend to wing it.
    Sounds good to me, adjust to taste, so to speak.

    I'm with you on the butcher as well.

  6. #1456
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,291
    I think you have a point in the cuisine aspect. bacon is huge in american cuisine... and not all bacon is the sae. Thestuff I make is entirely different than the industrial bacon industry product. My bacon is made the old fashioned way.... salt dry rubbed and the slab refrigreated, and smoked with hickory. then the slab is cut in to @ 1 lb pieces.
    i was in fact having the very all bacon isnt equal discussion with the kids this very evening. i had an exbf who used to be incredibly rude about the fact i would only eat free range bacon as it was so expensive. i read the label on his bacon when we went shopping once. $ for $, mine was actual cheaper as it was pure bacon not 57% or whatever the caged stuff from china is. i wont even go into the flavour differences with the pig's lifestyle.

  7. #1457
    ssn679doc's Avatar
    ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,954
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i was in fact having the very all bacon isnt equal discussion with the kids this very evening. i had an exbf who used to be incredibly rude about the fact i would only eat free range bacon as it was so expensive. i read the label on his bacon when we went shopping once. $ for $, mine was actual cheaper as it was pure bacon not 57% or whatever the caged stuff from china is. i wont even go into the flavour differences with the pig's lifestyle.
    yes there is a huge difference in flavor..... tiz one of the reasons I want a couple of pigs to raise for meat....

  8. #1458
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,291
    i have always been scared i will get too attached to them and then get stuck with them. hence why i only really eat wild pork with the odd bit of free range bacon or pork for visitors. the flavour diffs between wild pork is huge too.

  9. #1459
    ssn679doc's Avatar
    ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,954
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i have always been scared i will get too attached to them and then get stuck with them. hence why i only really eat wild pork with the odd bit of free range bacon or pork for visitors. the flavour diffs between wild pork is huge too.
    yup... The easiest way to not get "attached" is to think of them and "working" animals... don't treat them like pets, don't give them cute names (unless your think names like Breakfast, Chops, Dinner, Ribs are "cute").... I don't get attached to my chickens, even though I like some birds better than others...

  10. #1460
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,291
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i have come along way since then. but still. i have kids too which could throw a spanner in the works. hunting is more fun anyways. better exercise and i have none of the responsibility of feeding it etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •