Page 12 of 449 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind... page 12

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Monday:

Today was a Squat and pull-up day. I completed 3 sets of 50 reps of 1/2 squats, which means I move to full squats next! Legs were tired, not really sore, and recovered fairly well within and hour or so. I pushed yself a bit on the Horizontal pulls. My grip strength is still a limiting factor, so I had to find a "work-around" to get in a good shoulder work out. I complete 3 sets of 30 reps and I ended up doing them in mini-sets. Do as many as I could without failing, wait 10-15 seconds, do some more until I got the number of reps in the set. I rested 3 or 4 minutes between sets, and by oing that I got 30 reps in 3 "sets". Grip strength will improve. I also completed 4 sets 30 reps of bent knee 2 legged calf raises from the floor.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt, 1 left over scrambled egg and 4 slices of Canadian bacon

L: BAS, chicken parmesean

D: IF

S: 3 or 4 handfuls of walnuts and mixed nuts

I loaded a "calorie counter" on my Kindle today. I'm curious as to how my diet fares for calories and macro-nutrients. The set-up of the app will have to wait until tomorrow....

Diogenes is offline Member
    Doc

Congrats on the squats. Hey, if you get into kettlebell workouts, be sure to post your impressions. I am very curious about some of the moves, especially swings and turkish getups. Kinda worried about overworking my back, though.

How are the calf raises going? I found that in my case, I could only manage 17 to start with, but I added 5 reps per week without a problem. I forget if I started on a step, but if I didn't, I moved there pretty quickly. After making it to 4 x 60 before my last break, I came back starting with sets of 40. When I hit 60 again, I'll see what I can do with one set on a single leg.

That has been the way I've been progressing for the most part. When it's time to move to the next step, I'll do one easy set to see how my parts react. Everything has been going smoothly, so far. Progress seems slow with the pullups--the strength just doesn't seem to be coming around. I haven't really pushed myself yet because I had been feeling a little bit of weirdness in my elbows. Nothing lingering, but it just didn't feel right. That has largely subsided. I'm thinking about trying Pavel's "Greasing the Groove" method on the pulls because I suspect that it isn't so much lack of muscle strength as my nervous system's ability to recruit that strength. My arms are working hard, but my lats don't seem to be "pulling their weight". First though, I am trying some more high-rep sets of vertical pulls. It will be an interesting experiment.

Hey Diogenes,

I have read Pavel's book Enter the Kettlebell, and found it intriguing. I could easily get distracted because there are so many different training routines out there. I considered doing a GTG routine for pulls as well. If/when I start doing kettlebell workouts, I will certainly post my results.
    As far as calf raises go, I have always had big geefy calves, and I find the number of raises I am doing to be fairly easy at this point. I feel more stress in my feet, almost cramping at times, so I will follow the path laid out and strengthen myself as I go.

Tuesday: Was a rest day, so I tried making yogurt. I used whole milk and heated it, allowed it to cool, added a starter culture and put it in a cooler with hot water. It seemed to work, but I haven't eaten any yet. It was a WHOLE lot cheaper to make it myself than to buy it at the store.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt, scrabled eggs

L: BAS, chicken parm

D: 1 cup "no fat" yogurt.... yeah, I'm not a big fan.... tastes weak, watery but it was the only Greek Gods plain yogurt they had.... so what ya gonna do??? Make your own?

S: 3 handfulls of raw walnut pieces.

I put an app on my Kindle to start tracking my macros. I loaded yesterday and today's diet, and both days were just over 1500 calories per day, and more than 50% calories from fat..... I may even track calorie expenditures from exercise...
    Last edited by ssn679doc; 01-10-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Wednesday:

It was a pushup, leg raise day. Completed 3 sets of knee pushups at 35, 30 & 25 reps. Basically the same as last time. I switched to Flat Knee Raises instead of flogging myself with the knee tucks. Completed 3 sets at 20, 17 and 16 reps. Definitely felt like I worked my core! Also did the grip strength protocol which was 2 sets of isometric hand exercise of 10 reps per set, 2 sets of finger pushups at 5 reps of wall pushups and 4 sets of horizotal bar hang for 30 seconds each set. I meet the reqs for the next progression, so I will graduate to a full bar hang, working up to 1 minute per set.

Diet:

B: 1 cup of nasty ass fat free yogurt..... blech!

L: BAS, bowl of beef and veggie soup

D: Italian sausage in tomato sauce

S: 3 handfulls of raw walnut pieces

Thursday,

Today was supposed to be a run day... however, there was a meeting at work I was "invited" to attend..... a 30 minute meeting that ended an hour and a half latter..... by the time I got home, there was no time to run and to say the least, the hens that were all still in their coops were pissed! and hungry too! Oh well. Such is life.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup home made yogurt.... much better than that fat free crap!

L: BAS, bowl of vegetable beef soup

D: Italian sausage

S: 3 handfulls of mixed nuts

Friday:

Today was a squat and pull up day. It rained, so I will do the pull ups outside tomorrrow.... yeah, I know... suck it up buttercup, it's only water.... I did do my squats though. My planner says 1/2 squats, 3 sets, 50 reps. I did 3 sets of 50 reps... of full squats... ooops, but yay! Legs actually feel pretty good. There wasn't much difference in the effort from 1/2 to full squats, no blood- no foul.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup home made full fat, full flavor yougurt with strawberry preserves, 2 boiled eggs

L: BAS, bowl of home made beef and vegetable soup

D: Chuck roast w/ roasted carrots. I got froggy and made dessert too. A "Paleo" tiramisu. Pretty good stuff.

S: A variety of nuts

I had to go deliver some eggs so I was out in town, and I have been reading lately about home cheese making, and considering trying it out. So after reading about different kinds of soft, hard, Italian cheese etc I decided to buy some cheeses and try before I embark on making them. I got some mascarpone and chevere to try. I wanted a dessert for dinner, and I have heard about mascarpone and decided to make a dessert with it. I was going to just whip it with some honey and serve with fruit until I read the container. It has a recipe for tirimisu, and all of the ingredients were pretty much paleo, with the exception of the sugar and the lady fingers. I substituted honey for the sugar, left off the lady fingers and viola, I have a paleo, high fat, low carb dessert!!! Having never made tirimisu before, I think it turned out pretty good. It was nice and fluffy, almost like a mousse. I can see me doing that again, but using a little less honey, as it was a little tooooooo sweet, not inedible, but a little bit went a loooong way!
    Last edited by ssn679doc; 01-12-2013 at 07:31 AM.

Saturday:

Was a rest day. Not much happening. Did some garden planning, other than that it was a pretty uneventful day.

Diet:

B: 1 cup of that nasty no fat no flavor crappy yogurt..... thank the gods its gone! 3 scrambled eggs and a pork sausage patty.

L: BAS, roast and carrots

D: BAS, Polish sausage, tirimisu

Sunday:

Legs were a little sore from Friday's squats. It's a run day, and the legs didn't stop me from running. Ran 6 miles, slower than my last runs pace, which didn't bother me. I'm glad I got the distance in. Burned a crap ton of calories! Heart rate never got much above 154, and it was in the mid to upperr 140s for a majority of the run.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup homemade yogurt w/ strawberry preserves

L: Chicken stirfry with peppers, pok choy, shrooms, onions, celery, and a tirimisu

D: Fast, since it's a short day.

S: party peanuts

Monday:

It's a pushup and leg raise day. Completed 3 sets of knee pushups at 35, 27 & 25 reps. Completed 3 sets of flat knee raises at 25, 20 and 20 reps. Also completed grip strength workout. 2 sets of 10 isometric hand exercises, 2 sets 5 reps fingertip wall push ups, and 4 sets of bar hang at 30, 30,30,28 seconds.... yeah, I know.... 2 seconds???

Weighed in today at 235.6. That puts me about a pound above my lowest pre-holiday weight. That means Christmas is gone, and Thanksgiving is leaving right around the corner!!! yeah!

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup home made yogurt, 2 hard boiled eggs

L: BAS, polish sausage, the last of the tirimisu

D: fast cuz I'm just not hungry

S: party peanuts

PrimalCon New York
    Tuesday:

A rest day, and wet weather, so I watched the Sherlock Holmes: The Game of Shadows. I enjoyed it.....

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt, 2 hard boiled eggs, and some Sweet Italian Sausage

L: BAS, home made veggie and beef soup

D: BAS, baked chicked, 2 wings and 2 thighs

S: 1/2 cup yogurt

Wednesday:

A squat and pull up day. Crappy weather, yet again, so no pull ups. I will do them tomorrow after my run. I did do 2 sets of 50 reps of full squats and 4 sets of 35 bent knee calf raises. Legs feel pretty good. I looked at the CC progressions for squats, and for full squats the progression is 2 sets and the progression standard is 30 reps.....

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt

L: BAS, home made veggie and beef soup

D: 4 hamburger patties w/ mustard....... I was making salad when they were cooking, so some of them got pretty well DONE.... so I was really eatting 4 charcoal patties.....

S: 1/2 cup yogurt