Page 111 of 506 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 5058

Thread: Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind... page 111

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Weekend update: Saturday was spent running errands for pretty much the whole day. Visited the fed store and got some bean seed to plant. Went shopping with the wife.... endured what felt like hours roaming around with her checking out the sale racks, going grocery shopping and getting home in time for dinner.... exhausting work I tell ya.

Sunday was a much nicer day, weather wise, Very sunny, a little windy and cool. It started that way, and quickly went south. I let the birds out in the morning and was putting the cover back on top of the cabbage and broccoli when I heard a bunch of the birds raising a ruckus. I looked out in the pasture and a German Shepard had jumped through the fence and was chasing the chickens. When he caught one he jumped back out of the fence and was gone. I spent the reast of the day weed-eating around the electric fence and putting a freshly charged battery on the charger. When I get home this morning, I will be well ared when I let the birds out. If he makes a return appearance, I shall shoot said beastie and leave his carcass for the buzzards.... I still pissed about the dog.
    After I got the weeds cut I went for a 7 mile run..... needless to say it was a little too far after all the work I had already done. Back is very sore today...

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Damn, sorry about the chicken. Chances are the bastard will return. Good Luck.

Thats pretty much what I am hoping for... thanks for the lucky wishes! Hope yours is a good day!

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    ugh. my kids saw a hawk get one of the neighbour's chickens which was running around in the paddock by the road yesterday. my other neighbour has a shepherd but she is not overly interested in the water fowl. i've never seen her around chooks. their target species is sheep so generally they only chase birds if they are young, or stupid or the bird just so happens to flap across their face. good luck with it. if you know the owner it may be a plan to bill them for the chook or ask them nicely to control it before you shoot it.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Morning Doc - sorry to hear about the neighbours dog. It has the taste of blood and chicken now - so yes you are right - it will be back. Good luck with the shoot out !
    How brilliant that you have had some quality time being dragged around the shops !!!!!! That is exactly what my poor father has had to endure while staying. But I couldn't send Mum off on her own !!!!!!!!! LOL
    Hope the back recovers quickly - praps a wee back massage from the shopping dragger arounder ????????aka the Wife ?????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    When I was a little girl, in summer, my grandparents would stay upstate in their second home, and we'd go also - very rural. Anyway, Gran'ma's poodle had a penchant for chickens. So, once or twice a month, Gran'ma would go down to the nearby farm, knock on the door, and pay for the chicken her poodle had most recently brought home. The people were very nice since they sold chickens anyway.

Doc, do you have any idea who the owner of the offending dog might be? I don't blame you for shooting it if it comes back, though hopefully the dog owner was horrified and will tie the dog up.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    You are making me want to cry... Best friend has done rescue Shepherds for years, and we both have quite a soft spot for them, even though I am currently the Cat Lady of the family. Once, best friend also went to work at the Ohio State Veterinary Medical Center just to see if she had the guts to do veterinary before she embarked on that long course of study... First night, a beautiful pet Shepherd was brought in with gunshot wounds and she didn't make it through the night. Best friend decided then and there she couldn't do it - she got exceedingly emotionally caught up, even not knowing the dog previously.

Please tell me you will try some other methods of dealing with the problem, should it happen again, before you run for the ammo and gun??
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Spent the day working on the weedy paths in the garden. Had a pistol on my hip and spent a good bit of time watching for the chicken raider. Didn't see the offender. Counted the birds in that particular house. It is 9 short of the original number. Is wee beastie the reason most are missing? probably not, but that doesn't lessen my anger. If the dog has a collar and an address, I'll give the owners their dog back.. he may be ventilated, but they can have it back...
    Sorry if you are offended by my attitude.....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    in my country if you were wandering around with a pistol they'd prob get the armed offenders out after you. we have pretty stringent hand gun laws. you need a special class on your license and they are only allowed to be used at pistol clubs. that said LOL they do not have a very good range so the dog would need to be pretty close for you to get it. if you shot my dog without coming to see me first and talking to me, i prob would never speak to you again. and would plot and exact some very nasty revenge that left no trail. dogs can get out unbeknownst to the owners and often just do what comes natural to them. if they havent been trained not to chase chickens, they will in the absence of someone to tell them not to. there are also dogs who do need to be shot and i reckon you at least need to work out which one it is. by all means shoot it, if it is the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    in my country if you were wandering around with a pistol they'd prob get the armed offenders out after you. we have pretty stringent hand gun laws. you need a special class on your license and they are only allowed to be used at pistol clubs. that said LOL they do not have a very good range so the dog would need to be pretty close for you to get it. if you shot my dog without coming to see me first and talking to me, i prob would never speak to you again. and would plot and exact some very nasty revenge that left no trail. dogs can get out unbeknownst to the owners and often just do what comes natural to them. if they havent been trained not to chase chickens, they will in the absence of someone to tell them not to. there are also dogs who do need to be shot and i reckon you at least need to work out which one it is. by all means shoot it, if it is the latter.
    Here in the state I live in, if you carry a pistol that is openly visable, you need no permit. To carry it concealed requires a permit. You are right about the range of a pistol being pretty short.