Page 11 of 584 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncharted rambling of a Primal mind... page 11

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Monday:

Today is a pushup and leg raise day. My motivation sucks, so I put it off till tomorrow. Instead, I deboned 4 picnic hams, cut them up and slapped them in the freezer. I started to grind the pork for the italian sausage, but it was frozen solid. In to the fridge til tomorrow. I did grind the pork fat for that batch of sausage. I also wrapped all of wifeys Christas presents. Next are all the kids/grandkids/pets packages.

Cut up and cooked about 1/2 lb of bacon.....

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt w/ strawberry preserves

L: BAS, beanless chili

D: 5 strips of bacon

Tuesday:

It's supposed to be a rest day, but I did yesterday's exercise. Did 3 sets of knee-pushups at 35,30 and 25 reps each. Did 3 sets of knee tucks at 35, 30 and 30 reps each. Completed my exercise before going to work.... which is actually Monday night, but I will be up all night so it is my Tuesday. Confused? Yeah, me too.... most of the time anyway. After work I will come home and grind pork and make sausage.

Diet:

B: beanless chili

L: BAS, pork steak

D: grilled hamburgers

Wednesday:

Today was supposed to be a run day, but I made sausage instead. I ground up @ 25 lb of pork. About 11 lb of it became Polish sausage that will get smoked on Friday. The remaining 14 lb will be divided between Breakfast sausage and sweet italian sausage. That will happen Thursday. This manually grinding meat is a workout..... I didn't need to run!

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt w/strawberry jam

L: BAS, grilled hamburger

D: "left over" sausage. When I make sausage, I make a test patty that I cook and taste to make sure my spices are right. When I am done stuffing the casing or bags, there is always a little bit left in the sausage stuffer, and in a little bit of meat in the grinder as well, so I cook all of that up and eat it. Tasty.

Well, the diet has been hit by the Holiday Missile already. Tonight at work, I had some Reeses "Trees" that I was going to give to the folks that work for me, but I ate a couple before I gave them out...... which shot my resolve in the ass and I ate the whole freakin bag..... I got rid of the other chocolate I had in my desk before I broke it open too!

Well, christmas has come and gone. On one side, I miss all the family and friends no being around, and on the side of that coin I am glad that there is peace an quiet arond here again! Now that the "festivities" are over, I can get the food bombs out of the house. HOLYCRAP there is alot of junk food in the house right now.... and we pawned BOXES of cookies, and cakes and other goodies off on the kids when they left Christmas day..... and there is stilll a crapton of stuff in the freezer. I spent some of this morning putting it in vacuum sealer bags so we can feed it to the grandkids later this summer.... and then send them home all jacked up on sugar to their parents..... Gosh I love being a grandparent! lol

There has been no real exercise for the last week or so. Well, that isn't exactly true.... I have been workin the crap out of my pancreas and my liver got a little exercise in on Christmas eve.... so I can't s NO exercise was done..... I can say verly little muscular exercise got done. That will change shortly. The normal routine will start again on Monday.

The wifey got me an Ipod Shuffle to wear when I run. I loaded 3 albums on it and listened to it for a while today. I forsee a set of external speakers in my future.... that little bugger may come in handy this sppring when I am out working in the garden and want some tunage...

Hope everyone has had a good holiday season, and didn't have too many gifts to take back.... taking clothes back because they are too big isn't really a bad problem to have though.....

Thursday:

I hope everyone had a happy and safe New Year celebration. May the new year bring you a healthier life.

Fortunately most of the "trigger" foods are gone/stored from my house. Cookies and stuff that are in the freezer aren't that big of a temptation for me, since it requires "effort" to get at them... I'm a "lazy" fat guy... what can I say. I am surprised that my weight bounced up about 5 or 6 pounds this year... My norm is 10 lbs during the time of Thanksgiving to the New Year, so I feel OK. I went in to this season knowing I was going to partake, and I did, so I will not feel guilty for doing so. I did blow off most of my exercise routine, so getting back in to that routine will require some discipline. I am sticking with the Convict Conditioning program, and I have changed the routine I was on some. I have actually added exercise days. I was doing CC on Monday and Friday with runs on Wednesday and Sunday, but I have planned out my schedul until March with 3 days of CC and 2 runs. I had noticed that my weight loss had tapered off, and I wasn't feeling "challenged" enough working out 2 days a week. I also picked up the CC2 and have added the grip strength routine and the calf raises as well. So on my Push-up and Leg Raise day, I added the grip strength routine and on my Squats and Pull-up days, I added calf raises. Since this is the first week of the new year, this is the first week of th new schedule. We will see how it goes. So far, so good.

On Monday I did Knee push-ups (40,35,30) which was where I was before the holiday, so no losses there. The Leg Raises sucked...... I had no motivation to push myself, so I have to work on that on Friday.

Tuesday was an off day. I may make the day after push-ups a run day.

Wednesday was Squats and Pull ups. I completed 3 sets of 1/2 squats @ 45 reps each. I completed 3 sets of horizontal Pulls @ 20 each. No big surprise that there was no improvement in Pulls... blew them off for 2 weeks. I did 4 sets of 2 legged calf raises 25 reps each. Legs were tired but recovered pretty quickly.

Diet:

Lots of cheating here during the Christmas break.... to many to count so I will just start fresh today. Since the candy and crap is gone, this will be a little easier. Just need to exercise a little discipline and make good choices as far as food goes.

B: egg salad

L: BAS, smoked brisket slices

D: IF

S: yogurt, almonds, walnuts

Friday:

I want to ammend my diet from yesterday. Instead of an IF, I played in the kitchen and cooked up a stir-fry from some Bok Choy I have growing in the garden. I planted it late, so it is small, and I was hungry.... Soooooo, I took some lard that I rendered before Christmas (that was an interesting experiment!) and used a good sized serving spoonful in a wok, with some diced smoked brisket, diced shallots, and diced Crimini 'shrooms and sauteed it all together, threw in a head of Bok Choy and cooked it until it was wilted. The only spiced I used were garlic, salt and pepper. The spices from the brisket dry rub added to the flavor of the dish as well..... The hunger was bannished when I was done eatting.. yummy stuff!

Yesterday was an interval run day. Ran 3 miles with 50 second intervals every 2 minutes. I finished the run about 30 seconds slower than my fasted timed run for 3 miles. As it stands, my fastest 3 mile time is a little over 1 minute slower than the passing standard for the Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test. Now, I started this "run" journey in July, jogged my first 3 mile course in the middle of September with a time just under 40 minutes..... since September I have taken 6 minutes off of my 3 mile run time..... not bad for a "lazy" fat guy! lol I am pretty happy with that progress, and proud of it as well. Now, its time to beat the crap out of my shoulders and get that kind of improvement from them!

With that thought in mind, today is a Push-up and Leg Raise day, with the Grip strength exercises added. The goal is 3 sets of 40, 35 and 30 reps of knee push-ups, 3 sets of 40 reps of knee tucks, 2 sets of 10 reps of isometric hand exercises, 2 sets of 5 fingertip wall pushups, and 4 sets of 30 seconds horizontal bar hanging. I'm not real worried about the knee push-ups. The knee tucks will be a challenge.

Diet:

B: 1/2 cup yogurt, 3 slices breakfast sausage

L: BAS, smoked brisket

D: Baked chicken, BAS

S: walnuts, almonds

Saturday:

Well, I didn't do quite as well on the push-ups yeaterday as I wanted. Was off by 5 reps per set. Tiz OK.. It was an improvement over the previous session, so I'm not all that concerned. The knee tucks were also short aa bit, but much better than the previous session. I did complete all of the grip strength exercises...... 30 seconds is a long time when you are just watching the seconds tick by.....

Diet:

We didn't get around to baking the chicken yesterdaay, so that will be on the menu for today.

B: 1/2 cup yogurt, scrambled eggs, sausage

L: BAS, last of the brisket, diced and tossed on the salad

D: Baked chicken and a BAS

S: walnuts and almonds
    Today is a long slow run. I will run 7 miles today. I haven't run that far in years.... but I will go slow and I will finish.

Diogenes is offline Member
    What's up doc? (sorry)

I was reading a bit of your journal and discovered that in addition to eating primal and doing CC, we are the same age, same height, and same waist size.

I was surprised to find I had gained only 3 lbs over the holidays with all the cookies, munchies, eating out, etc. Two lbs of that is gone now. While I am still gung-ho with the CC, it looks like your enthusiasm may be waning a bit. Try going back and reading your first post and see if you want to go back there. I did maintain my workout discipline a lot more successfully that my diet discipline. I even did some hiking on a mountain that would have killed me a year ago--it was a walk in the park.

CC is a great program, but it isn't perfect. If you read around the Internet, you will find many posts on problem steps, especially Squats step 7, Pullups step 2 and Leg Raises step 1. The knee tucks are blasting your hip flexors and doing hardly anything for your core. They serve a purpose, but spending too much time on them is simply not beneficial. The horizontal pullups are a great exercise, but they are too difficult for their place in the progression. The step 3 Jackknife pullups are no more difficult and prepare you better for regular pullups. Think about mixing some into your routine.

I wish I remembered what book I read, because I would like to give the author credit, that said to take a one-week break every two months. I have been taking a week off after every eight cycles of the exercises and it is really helping me. I am so afraid of over-training, it takes so long to come back from, even when you're young. In addition to the breaks, when I come back from the break, I backtrack a bit in the progressions, so that the first cycle I will do the progression standard for incline pushups, the second cycle the progression standard for girl pushups, etc. I am doing step 5 for pushups, squats and leg raises, step 3 for pullups, but I mix in a lot of earlier steps and only push hard on the most advanced steps in the last few weeks of the 8-week cycle.

The CC goal of building a solid base to build upon is apparently right on. I am in my fifth month of the program and at this point I have no joint or tendon problems whatsoever. Quite the opposite, nagging aches, pains and arthritis have diminished to where they do not even rate acknowledgement. I am impressed and very happy with this. I was starting to feel like an old man before starting CC, but now I think that by spring, I will be able to put most men in their 30's to shame. I suppose in modern America that isn't saying all that much, but I'm pretty happy about it.

If you are interested, you can take a look at the official CC instructor certification program they are starting this year. The requirements don't look that rigorous, I probably could have whipped through it with no preparation at all when I was in my 20's. I am thinking of making the test my goal for the summer. Except for the pullups, I am just about there. Ok, I've rambled enough.

Diogenes,
    Thanks for the visit and reading my forum. You are right on several points. My motivation has wained, but with the Christmas "break" I have gotten back in to the swing of things, and I did change my program some. I am still following the progressions of CC, and I have gone to the "New Blood 2.0" version that Paul talks about in his FAQ. The first week is done, and I feel pretty good about it, but 1 week isn't enough data to make an informed decision with... I am also doing some running as well. I have been increasing my distance lately, and this weekend I jogged 7 miles..... and was a complete waste case for the rest of the day. I need to figure out why I want to run these long distances, other than bragging rights.
    I agree with you about the knee tucks, and have been thinking I need to go to the next progression. I have done the flat bent knee raises a few times, and they seem to be "easier" than the knee tucks. Same goes for the horizontal pulls. It seems that my grip strength is the limiting factor with this exercise, so I have added the Grip strength routine from CC2 on the days I do pushups. I added Calf Raises to the days I do squats.

As far as the taking scheduled breaks, I read that in "The Purposeful Primative", which I also got from Dragon Door. I am going to schedule breaks, and my even completey change my workout.. ie do kettlebell workouts instead. Having read several of Pavel's books, I certainly see the advantage of having multiple strength tools in my arsenal.

I haven't been doing CC as long as you have, but I have seen changes in my physique in the time that I have been doing it. I also have noted an increase in my strength level as well. My plan is to continue my training, in one for or another, for the long haul. I feel sooooo much better now than I did 8 months ago. Thanks again for stopping by, your input is appreciated!
    Last edited by ssn679doc; 01-07-2013 at 05:02 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sunday:

It was a rest day, and after my long run on Saturday, I needed it. I completed the 7 mile run, and had zero energy for the rest of the day. I was also starving all day... As for diet on Saturday, we didn't have baked chicken... wifey had me cut the bird up and she cooked it in the crockpot in a salsa until it fell off the bone, then topped it with cheese and we consumed... It were tasty!

Diet:

B: yogurt, scrambled eggs and Canadian bacon

L: Left over chicken salsa

D: fasted, as Sunday is a short day

S: walnuts