Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those that sre successful at Primal... page

melanj3 is offline Junior Member

Those that sre successful at Primal...

Primal Fuel
    What's your best tip or piece of advise? Also do you track your daily macro nutrients or just follow hunger cues? Have your results reached your expectations??
    I need to hear from all Primals at there??

Misti is offline Member
    What is your definition of "successful", melanj3? Lost bunches of weight? Looks lean? Eats promal pretty consistently? Some other definition?
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

melanj3 is offline Junior Member
    Those that have reached their goals, whether it's weight, health, energy or some medical issue. Those that chose Primal for any ailment of any kind, different situation for everybody. Just looking for that extra boost of inspiration.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Misti, that's exactly what I was going to ask.

I'm successful being Primal because I don't count, track, and obsess over everything that goes in my mouth. I may not be as thin as I was when I tracked, but I'm happier.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    assuming someone has read the book, or at least gone through the primal 101 posts, my best piece of advice is to be patient, and remember that this is a way of life focused on health, not weight.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I would consider "success" as finding a balance where food doesn't run your life, you have enough energy to get through the day, and you're happy when you're falling asleep at night. I've gotten to this point by trusting my gut, even when it goes against what I read here. If I deprive myself of something I want -- let's say fruit, as there's people here who have cut out fruit -- I might be objectively "better off" e.g. no blood sugar spike, remain in ketosis and whatnot.... but I will be in a baaad place mentally where I feel like I'm something other than my body telling my body it can't have what it wants... Then I just feel kind of "split" mentally. It's not a nice feeling. I think I'll take the fructose.

If you get your self-worth from saying "I successfully followed all my rules today!!" I'm not sure you're in a good place.

Grok didn't count his macros. He didn't fall asleep at night thinking "Oh man, I get a gold star for resisting those wild blueberries I saw earlier!" My two cents.

In my book, the most important thing is eating clean. The only foods I'll buy non-organic are ones where you don't eat the skin-- i.e. avocados and bananas, and only because I can't afford to eat entirely organic (if I could, I would). This means I don't eat in restaurants anymore. That might not work for some who are accustomed to social gatherings centered around eating... but it works for me. I'd rather cook my own food so I can eat it guilt-free and meet my friends for a hike afterwards.

EDIT: It occurs to me that some people eat out for convenience rather than for socializing. I'm on campus 10 hours a day on Tues and Thurs, and I pack a lunch (usually a salad with avocado and some dark chocolate and nuts) that gets me through much better than any nasty fast "food" on campus would.
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 09-21-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Misti is offline Member
    OK, thanks, melanj3. Then I fit your spec.

I've lost enough weight to shock friends and relations, but I am far from thin. I am growing stronger, but so far most folks here wouldn't recognize my attempts at primal movements as such. But my 80/20 is more like 99.9/0.001.

Like Diana, I don't track anything -- I just fill up on foods that don't make me hurt. (Turns out, my body has fierce opinions about all grains and I am wracked with arthritic pain for days after I ingest any -- even in the form of, say, corn based preservatives in the foods on a salad bar.)

In the beginning, I was grain free but far from primal, but over time, my world has become more primal. My family bases our meals on meats and low starch vegetables. I eat until I am satisfied with no thought for calories or nutrient balances.

I eat mostly non-starchy vegetables because that way I can eat until I'm done without spiking my blood sugar, so it feels better. Every six weeks, we have a "feast" with strachy vegetables added to our usual fare, and I eat a bit of potato, a bit of carrot or beet, and I fill up on the usual stuff...because that's what feels good.

Since my goal was not to hurt anymore, yes I would say that I have met my goals. In addition, I have become strong enough to walk 10 miles per week, where a few years ago a walk around the block was nearly impossible and exhausted me for days.

I manage to stick with it because nothing is "off limits" unless my body says it's off limits. (That chocolate cherry wheat bomb on the counter in the department kitchen is taunting me, but I know how I'll feel tomorrow if I eat that today -- and I also know that it won't taste neary as good as it seems like it would.)
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I have recently reached my first goal, which was to get down to at least 160.
    To get there I decided to track what I ate for the first month (Jan/Feb). I did this in order to get a good handle on what 50% fat calories looked like. etc.

But, I have not tracked since then.

My best advice would be to not obsess. There are a lot of discussions on this forum that make a person's brain hurt, and more often than not they end up confusing the issues, and a part of "primal" is reducing stress. You can't reduce stress if you're obsessing over everything.

Enjoy your food, enjoy moving your body (that's my next goal), and enjoy living.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Koobs is offline Member
    I've done all types of body builder diets. I used to count macros and calories and all that bull. While it certainly worked, it was very tedious and I was definitely not very healthy. Since starting this diet a month ago I haven't had to count calories or any of that. I was already pretty lean and fortunately my diet was pretty close to primal anyway but still had grains. Since cutting those grains I can't seem to keep weight on. I dropped from ~175 to ~165 in two weeks and it wasnt until this week that i finally got back over 170. The scale is not the best indicator though. It really comes down to how you feel and how you look. Both of those areas have been amazing for me since going primal. I'd say success really boils down to self discipline. Avoiding the junk and hitting the gym seem to be the two hardest areas for most people. If you get good at doing both of those while feeding your body the fuel it needs I think you will see that success can come by pretty quickly.
    Last edited by Koobs; 09-21-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    My best tip is to FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. There is no catch-all lifestyle/diet/eating plan/exercise routine. It might not take you very long to figure it out, or it may take years (like me), or it may be an ongoing experiment (also like me). I’ve never considered myself “primal” or “paleo” because I am doing my own thing and using what works for me. But that just so happens to be primal and paleo 95% of the time.

I reached a goal weight of mine this past May but I still have some fat to lose. I track on FitDay.com every now and then. I know a lot of people here look down on tracking macros and calories but I have learned so much about food and what works for me by doing it, and I tend to overeat a lot when my discipline wanes. It’s yet another tool to help in my ongoing experiment.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast