Thread: Chia seed + water as an egg replacement. Does it really work? page

Chia seed + water as an egg replacement. Does it really work?

Primal Fuel
    So i have some chia seeds and read about being about to use them as an egg sub in baking. So i put 1 tbsp seeds in 1/4 cup water and let it sit. It became gelatinous like it was suppose to but now im curious if i use it will it do everything an egg would do in baking? I usually only "bake" by mixing an egg with a 1 1/2 tbsp coconut flour and a little liquid to either make a cake like thing in the microwave or make mini pancakes. Would mixing this chia seed "egg" and the coconut flour produce the same results?

Misti is offline Member
    No idea, but it's an excellent experiment! Do let us know, OK?
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Quote Originally Posted by Misti View Post
    No idea, but it's an excellent experiment! Do let us know, OK?
    No way! coconut flour is sort of kind of expensive. I'm not wasting it unless i know for sure something edible will be produced from it!

Jamie Madrox is online now Senior Member
    I just tried this with the pumpkin cake/bake thing i make on an almost daily basis. Its 2 eggs, 90grams pumpkin, and spices mixxed together put in a microwave bowl and cooked for 5 minutes. The chia egg thing didnt make it rise like it would have had i used regular eggs. it came out as a spongy disc of ill repute. I then tried it with some baking powder to see if that would give it some lift but alas it did not. So i would say dont waste your coconut flour trying this out.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepeanutbutterkid View Post
    So i have some chia seeds and read about being about to use them as an egg sub in baking. So i put 1 tbsp seeds in 1/4 cup water and let it sit. It became gelatinous like it was suppose to but now im curious if i use it will it do everything an egg would do in baking? I usually only "bake" by mixing an egg with a 1 1/2 tbsp coconut flour and a little liquid to either make a cake like thing in the microwave or make mini pancakes. Would mixing this chia seed "egg" and the coconut flour produce the same results?
    If you use coconut flour, you will have to use more of the egg or egg replacement than if you used other flours. It is higher in fiber and will absorb more of the liquid.

3T water/ 1T GROUND chia will equal about 1 egg. Use white chia seeds if you don't want it visible in the finished product. Don't grind more than you need because it is so perishable. You can use unground, but I find ground works better.

It works! ground flax seeds do, too. Post a picture of your creation and tell us how it tastes!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    I just tried this with the pumpkin cake/bake thing i make on an almost daily basis. Its 2 eggs, 90grams pumpkin, and spices mixxed together put in a microwave bowl and cooked for 5 minutes. The chia egg thing didnt make it rise like it would have had i used regular eggs. it came out as a spongy disc of ill repute. I then tried it with some baking powder to see if that would give it some lift but alas it did not. So i would say dont waste your coconut flour trying this out.
    I think it will work in the recipe the OP described. It isn't the exact same result as an egg, just like cooking with gluten free flours will change the end product of a cake or cookie. Not sure why your pumpkin thing didn't work aside from the fact that there is no flour in your recipe and the egg replacement is intended for baked goods with flours and not for a 'custard'. Maybe that was it? Not sure. I might experiment! Love to experiment.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

waterjen is offline Member
    Back in my cornbread days, I experimented and made some fairly successful cornbread with a flaxseed-water mixture in lieu of egg. I was simply out of eggs the day I wanted cornbread and didn't want to trouble with a grocery store trip for one item. It came out flatter than normal, a bit heavier, but still tasty (especially hot out of the oven with melty butter). Tell the truth, I'd recommend making it with real eggs if there's no allergy. Cornbread is the only thing from the SAD that I miss on the primal diet.
    Last edited by waterjen; 09-21-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    If you use coconut flour, you will have to use more of the egg or egg replacement than if you used other flours. It is higher in fiber and will absorb more of the liquid.

3T water/ 1T GROUND chia will equal about 1 egg. Use white chia seeds if you don't want it visible in the finished product. Don't grind more than you need because it is so perishable. You can use unground, but I find ground works better.

It works! ground flax seeds do, too. Post a picture of your creation and tell us how it tastes!
    Well i tried it and it didnt rise like it would if i used a regular egg. It just came out like a really soft patty of dough. I also tried coconut flour pancakes with the chia egg and they just fell apart. So i guess experiment failed for now.