Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibrams for tennis, racquetball, basketball, ... etc. page

FDgreen is offline Member

Vibrams for tennis, racquetball, basketball, ... etc.

Shop Now
    Is this a bad idea? It seems like these sports involve high impact, so maybe conventional shoes would be best.

I'm do get sore knees after playing tennis in sneakers however...

Thoughts?

ccarrigan is offline Junior Member
    I've been wondering the same thing. I use my vibrams to walk and hike in, and once I did play basketball in them, but found that they didn't fare too well. Not due to the impact, but due to other people stepping on my feet while getting rebounds etc. So at least for basketball I've found I prefer regular runners. I might try them for tennis this summer though. Has anyone had any experience with sports?

Primal is offline Senior Member
    my concern would be the sliding/lateral movement. i could see you ripping a seam because the vibram sole would be quite grippy - the sole stops and your foot keeps moving.

Godzilla is offline Senior Member
    I skip rope with them on a wood gym floor. Sometimes the rope catches between the toes and there's a snag, whereas if I wore a conventional shoe, it would hit and just roll off and I would continue skipping.

Huesy is offline Junior Member

Kso grip works well.... Avoid bikila style

Quote Originally Posted by FDgreen View Post
    Is this a bad idea? It seems like these sports involve high impact, so maybe conventional shoes would be best.

I'm do get sore knees after playing tennis in sneakers however...

Thoughts?

I have had kso's and bikilas and used them both for playing basketball in
    The kso's work well
    But I would try to steer clear of bikila styled grip because after changing direction quickly a large tear in the grip was formed and eventually a large chunk of the sole tore off

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    As someone already said, you should wear shoes with the appropriate amount of grip for what you're doing. Too much (or too little) grip can lead to injury, especially since these shoes don't have any ankle support.

Rosencrantz1 is offline Member
    I played racquetball in my vibrams recently. I survived, but I definitely don't think that they are optimal for that sport. I ended up with pretty bad toe blisters, and stubbed a toe on the wall once.

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    ^What he said. I played basketball in my Vibrams nearly a month ago, and the blister is still pretty bad. I also fell because the grip was too tight when I pivoted. Scraped myself up pretty good.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    Tennis has too many quick-stops and direction changes for Vibrams IMHO

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    i'd do it, but only if everyone else were also in vibrams -- re toe-stepping problem already mentioned. i wouldn't switch back to conventional myself (insert standard complaint about sprained ankles here) but maybe one of the other barefoot-style shoes would be best (e.g. Minimus, Merrell, etc.). of that lot, the merrell lithe glove i think would be the one that gave the most protection from stomps while still maintaining zero-drop/barefoot experience.
    2cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast