Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: My sister-in-law's diet... page 8

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by divadevilsmom View Post
    But he refuses to give up soda
    I am not that much into carbonated beverages so I never missed them.

However, water kefir makes for a great substitute: very little sugar, lots of vitamins and probiotics. And can be flavored in a number of ways (ginger, fruits). You can do it starting from apple juice, too, and make a cider-like carbonated drink.

Just my two cents.

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Your situation intrigues me! I happened to think of another couple of recipes:

First -- here is a link to some awesome grain-free vegan brownies -- they are made with grated carrots and almond butter and are quite good:Flourless Carrot Brownies My son tells me it is easy to make almond butter in a food processor -- just dump in some almonds and let the machine run until it turns into almond butter -- it may be 5 minutes or more. He says it is a lot cheaper than buying it ready made -- he adds a touch of honey and some seasalt.

And next, here is my absolute favorite almost-Primal vegan waffle recipe. I actually got the original from a SDA friend years ago -- I've been tweaking it from time to time over the years. My latest tweak has been to add raw vinegar to the batter and let it soak overnight to lessen the anti-nutrients from the oatmeal. I like to serve these for brunch when I'm having people over because they work for a variety of diets -- except for nut allergies . And if you use gluten-free oats, your celiac friends can eat it too:

Oat-nut waffles:
    2-2/3 cup oatmeal
    2/3 cup pecans or walnuts
    3 cups water
    1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar (like Bragg) or raw coconut vinegar
    2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
    3 tablespoons palm sugar (or brown sugar)
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    (That's right! no eggs, baking soda, or baking powder necessary!)

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate over night (from what I've been reading about an overnight soak with vinegar, this may work better when not refrigerated, but I haven't tried that yet).

In the morning, bake as for regular waffles in your waffle iron. They may take a little longer than regular waffles to cook. That's okay -- they are so good they are worth the wait! (One of my friends also tried using this batter to make pancakes, she said they were good, but I haven't tried it.)

So that everyone can enjoy what fits with their particular diet, serve with any or all of the following: butter, maple syrup, sliced strawberries and/or bananas, nutbutter, whipped cream, applesauce, and whatever else someone may like on top of a waffle!
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    I am not that much into carbonated beverages so I never missed them.

However, water kefir makes for a great substitute: very little sugar, lots of vitamins and probiotics. And can be flavored in a number of ways (ginger, fruits). You can do it starting from apple juice, too, and make a cider-like carbonated drink.

Just my two cents.
    I've started buying ginger flavored Kombucha at the healthfood coop. It is a very healthy fermented probiotic drink with some carbonation. I strain it with a tea strainer because I don't like to drink the strings of culture in it. Then I mix it in my glass half and half with bottled selzer water to make it last longer (I happen to think the straight Kombucha is a little too sweet and adding selzer keeps it bubbly and it tastes just right to me.)
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    we make home-made soda or kefir ginger ale for some fizzy. it's nice. you can find recipes for home-made sodas online (it's lactobacilius fermentation).

cookie is offline Senior Member
    this was the grossest thing i have ever read!!!

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Honey she's addicted to the crap in the food. Until she realizes that she isn't going to change.

Sorry

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678