Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: My sister-in-law's diet... page 6

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I have a friend who prays before eating at McDonald's and Taco Bell as well. Like he thinks that food will ACTUALLY nourish him. I just quietly roll my eyes and hope he doesn't notice.

Remember folks, God gave us REAL,WHOLE foods and animals to eat. WE gave ourselves MickeyD's and Taco Shit. Frankly, I think that if God exists, he would be watching from heaven and thinking... "Wait, I gave them all this bounty and they voluntarily chose THAT crap instead?" Then I imagine him doing a giant, cosmic facepalm.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    One of my prayers at night is that my bad choices(food and otherwise) do not hurt me so badly that I lose the opportunity to make better ones. This seems very appropriate to fast food.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Well, you see the result of her eating. At the very least it makes you feel like you are making the correct food choices. To be honest, it tagged at me when you said brown rice with soy sauce... I would have liked some of that. There is something about soy sauce and rice that appeals.

The thing that drives me up the wall is when I see slender and fit people eating things like that. I know a gal who don't eat red meat, and puts away pasta with garlic bread and a muffin for breakfast, but have no problems leaving half a plate behind... Well, I try to tell myself I will get there my way, because I have tried their way and got sick & fat
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Moll is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    It's her religion. Just leave it alone and share your veggie sides and fruits.

Seriously, unless you genuinely want to help her with her health, you are just being a smug bitch. I kind of feel like you are more into mocking her. Great, you eat grass fed meat. Have you always? You've never had fast food?

I spemt MANY years with arrogant, smug Vegans. Don't go down that road.
    Reading this comment made me feel like I'd been physically struck by something. Knowing that I'm potentially being this badly misunderstood is incredibly upsetting to me, because the last thing I want to do is sound mocking of someone who I care about. I will admit to being extremely frustrated with her (my former) religion because of the extreme inconsistencies and hypocrisies I've seen and experienced over the years, but I respect her sincerity of belief and do not/will not make any attempt to dissuade her from it.

As far as sharing with her, I do as much as I'm able to and really wish that I was in the place financially to do more.

Honestly, my primary reason for posting was the hope that I'd be able to commiserate with people who were in similar situations - wanting to be able to share something with someone that has really been helpful to you, but unable to for any number of reasons. Maybe I expressed my frustration in a way that came across as bitchy, and I feel really sorry for that. I really hope that's not the impression I'm giving to most people, because I sincerely care about her and her health.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moll View Post
    Reading this comment made me feel like I'd been physically struck by something. Knowing that I'm potentially being this badly misunderstood is incredibly upsetting to me, because the last thing I want to do is sound mocking of someone who I care about. I will admit to being extremely frustrated with her (my former) religion because of the extreme inconsistencies and hypocrisies I've seen and experienced over the years, but I respect her sincerity of belief and do not/will not make any attempt to dissuade her from it.

As far as sharing with her, I do as much as I'm able to and really wish that I was in the place financially to do more.

Honestly, my primary reason for posting was the hope that I'd be able to commiserate with people who were in similar situations - wanting to be able to share something with someone that has really been helpful to you, but unable to for any number of reasons. Maybe I expressed my frustration in a way that came across as bitchy, and I feel really sorry for that. I really hope that's not the impression I'm giving to most people, because I sincerely care about her and her health.
    It's easy to be misinterpreted in text, I've found. I've made comments on other forums that people have found offensive when I meant NO offense at all!! I think a few posts in this thread have maybe been a bit snarky towards your SIL which may just have made it seem like you were mocking her? Anyway, I figured you made your thread because you are genuinely concerned about her (and maybe a bit frustrated at seeing the way she eats and thus abuses her body!).

I also get frustrated when I see family members, and people I care about, doing stuff that I believe is unhealthy...my dad taking statins and giving up the morning grapfruit he's eaten FOREVER particularly gets to me (cause errm you can't have a healthy grapefruit when you're on statins... apparently). I've told him over and over that statins are bad... and I can see the effects on him (memory loss etc.), but he's got a Ph.D. and my mother's a retired doctor, so of course they know more than me .

My sister is overweight and, to give her credit, is doing her best to lose weight and get fit. She goes to the gym every day (I have commented that the cardio she does every second day is probably pretty useless... but whatever), and she is trying to eat a healthy, clean diet. However, her diet is based on CW, of course, and when I've mentioned getting rid of grains, she dismisses the idea. I think she'd find it SO MUCH EASIER if she were to up the fats and get rid of grains/sugars, but she's aiming for "balanced" *sigh*. (I'm not sure how overweight she is, but I'm pretty sure she's in the morbid obesity range, despite getting exercise etc. and mostly doing her best to eat well...).

I think, at times, my frustration may lead to me making some snarky comment about her diet though... or my parents and their choices. I try not to feel that I've found "the way the truth and the light" when it comes to eating, though... but sometimes I DO feel a bit superior (well, not superior exactly... just that I'm RIGHT and they're all WRONG and I need to convince them!!). (When I hear people talking about "healthy grains" I get that feeling of scorn for their foolishness... that I probably shouldn't!!!!)

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Haven't read the whole thread, but sounds similar to others,
    "I've seen the light and I want those that I love to experience the same Joy"
    Don't matter if it's religion or diet.
    I hate it when people try to convert me to save my body or soul and when I found myself on the soapbox with preaching with missionary zeal a while back, I took a deep hard look at myself, let go of the guilt of not being able to save everyone around me, threw the soapbox on the fire and enjoyed my big fat dinner in retrospection.
    Think good, speak good, do good and lead by example, otherwise maintain your faith and leave them to their's, if people are interested then they will ask you then you can tell them.

Moll is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    It's easy to be misinterpreted in text, I've found. I've made comments on other forums that people have found offensive when I meant NO offense at all!! I think a few posts in this thread have maybe been a bit snarky towards your SIL which may just have made it seem like you were mocking her? Anyway, I figured you made your thread because you are genuinely concerned about her (and maybe a bit frustrated at seeing the way she eats and thus abuses her body!).
    You're right - I think being able to express myself a little more freely on the forum brought out the snark - I'd love to have a conversation with her instead of a vent-session online, but I know that wouldn't be welcome. (I think it's kind of like how I feel about when I go to work at a restaurant and a 3 year old orders a Coke - though I SAY later that that kind of thing makes me want to punch their parents in the face...what it really just does is make me so so sad...it's just easier to cling to the fired up feelings rather than the depressing ones...)

Moll is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread, but sounds similar to others,
    "I've seen the light and I want those that I love to experience the same Joy"
    Don't matter if it's religion or diet.
    I hate it when people try to convert me to save my body or soul and when I found myself on the soapbox with preaching with missionary zeal a while back, I took a deep hard look at myself, let go of the guilt of not being able to save everyone around me, threw the soapbox on the fire and enjoyed my big fat dinner in retrospection.
    Think good, speak good, do good and lead by example, otherwise maintain your faith and leave them to their's, if people are interested then they will ask you then you can tell them.
    Agreed, it's just hard to watch sometimes. But yeah, I don't want to feel like someone's trying to convert me, and I certainly don't want to be the pushy zealot.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moll View Post
    For those of you who have no experience with veggie meat, I congratulate you! Yeah, it looks quite like dog food...
    For that matter I had to google Adventist because I had absolutely no idea what it was. I found out it was a religion, I closed it and didn't read further. Sometimes it's just better not to know about things; like veggie meat. Will not google that one.
    Last edited by Metric; 09-26-2012 at 12:20 AM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm not really pushy at all, but it is always interesting to me how people think.

My sister and I were messaging today, and she was struggling with gas/bloating. Her trigger was cookies (sugar/wheat/milk) dunked in milk, after a meal of home made pasta (white flour) and sauce (tomatoes, garlic, onion w/eggplant -- so many nightshades!). I just mentioned off hand that since going off dairy and grains, I no longer have gas and bloating (and I do when i have cookies, ice cream. . . really indulgent times!).

And she's just like "i know that I cannot do that, for sure." Just too hard.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast