Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what do u feed ur 4-footed furry friends?

Hybrid View

Red face what do u feed ur 4-footed furry friends?

I'm just wondering what ur feeding your pets? I feed KC my rott(en)-lab; Wilderness by blue buffalo, the senior formula. Before that it was One. and he gets his favorite treat nawsomes. I tried others but he likes them best.

Kasumi (our black lab mix puppy) eats whichever grain free food is on sale for cheapest when I go to buy her food. It was Blue Wilderness puppy chow, now it's Blue Buffalo puppy chow. She also gets a daily mutlivitamin and bones from our beef/ lamb/ goat, as well as the gristle scraps from that meat.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

it's always buffalo blue or taste of the wild for both my dog and cats. i prefer to feed them taste of the wild (particularly the wet foods), but it's a lot harder to find.

i don't want to hijack, but i'm also wondering if anyone knows of a good way to make a flourless gravy or sauce to pour over pet food. my dog gets a wet/dry mix for dinner, but just dry in the morning...and lately he has been looking down at his bowl, then back at me with those 'WTF? it's dry. go get me a can of awesome animal parts' eyes. but, he'll go nuts on that dry food if a little gravy is dripped on it. basically, i just need a cheap and easy, primal way to thicken up some beef broth (think stew broth but without onions and garlic, which are poisonous to dogs).

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    basically, i just need a cheap and easy, primal way to thicken up some beef broth (think stew broth but without onions and garlic, which are poisonous to dogs).
    I don't see arrowroot specifically addressed in Mark's blog, but it is from a non-grain plant product and is used for thickening gravies, fruit sauces, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I don't see arrowroot specifically addressed in Mark's blog, but it is from a non-grain plant product and is used for thickening gravies, fruit sauces, etc.
    thanks. we'll have to get that in his monday "is it primal" series.

i don't want to hijack, but i'm also wondering if anyone knows of a good way to make a flourless gravy or sauce to pour over pet food. my dog gets a wet/dry mix for dinner, but just dry in the morning...and lately he has been looking down at his bowl, then back at me with those 'WTF? it's dry. go get me a can of awesome animal parts' eyes. but, he'll go nuts on that dry food if a little gravy is dripped on it. basically, i just need a cheap and easy, primal way to thicken up some beef broth (think stew broth but without onions and garlic, which are poisonous to dogs).
    Why not just some fat? I don't know about fat requirements for dogs, but I know my parents' dog loves a bit of olive oil drizzled on her food. She used to not eat unless there was oil on it. Coconut oil is supposed to be good for animals too.

I feed my cat Nature's Variety chicken kibble, because it's their cheapest grain-free option. She also gets meat juice (from defrosted meat) and gristle/trimmings. I don't think I could ever go 100% raw with her food because the getting all the nutrients balanced would be a lot more work than I'm willing to invest. When they're having deals, I pick her up some canned grain-free food. She no longer gets visible dander, but she's still rather fat. She was 12 lbs in May, and I feed her enough food for an 8-10 lb cat (what's recommended for a heavier cat that needs to lose weight).
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

it's always buffalo blue or taste of the wild for both my dog and cats. i prefer to feed them taste of the wild (particularly the wet foods), but it's a lot harder to find.

bone broth with extra gelatin.

I'm a dog person, but The Boyfriend had 2 cats, so now I'm a cat person too. Especially since one of the cats thinks it's a really agile dog.

When I met him, they ate Friskies. Yeah, that's not going to work. Now I get them Blue Wilderness. They love the duck and salmon versions, and we even had another neighborhood cat sneaking in to eat their food shortly after I made the switch.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

My dachshunds eat:
    chicken necks
    eggs
    ground beef mixed with egg, sardines, oats, greens, carrot, apple and formed into patties
    bites of steak any time we have one
    ditto for lamb or pork roast
    sweet potato chunks
    beef ribs
    bones
    cooked beef liver

Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    I'm just wondering what ur feeding your pets? I feed KC my rott(en)-lab; Wilderness by blue buffalo, the senior formula. Before that it was One. and he gets his favorite treat nawsomes. I tried others but he likes them best.
    Our lab/pit bull gets G'day grain free, we add a scoop of flax seed and DE. She gets fresh veggies for treats. For a rescue dog, she has quite the life...
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer